Ponification: Electric (02/03/2013)

Started by Tomato, November 05, 2011, 07:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

Pulling one of the avatar ponies from this thread for a tumblr post, thought I'd do some shameless self-promotion while I was here. Not only are all 151 icons for the first generation done now, Ponymon Alpha 0.3 should be released sometime next week.

Tomato

Felt in a pony mood today. Ponified some avs.

I did a Protomorph as well (it's kinda simple, but so is his av design, so.) but I don't have any ideas for a cutie mark.

Deaths Jester

Gah...I thought you had finished doing this dren...but no...you attack us with more ponies!!  ARGHH!!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

Yeah, I'm aware.

You have to be kind of careful though. Most of the 3d prints out there are done in the normal/medium scale (3-4 inches? I don't have any larger ones on hand), which normally have rooted hair... and the prints do not. They work better with the "blind bags" (which are all sculpted, 1-2 inches) but then you run into issues of stability and yada yada. Luna took me two separate prints (each with different materials because I was doing some experimenting) and half a dozen attempts to get the model in the correct scale AND have enough stability to keep her wings from falling off.

But yeah, 3d printing is awesome. I've used it for a few other projects so far, and I have a few others in mind if I can ever get around to doing them.

Tomato

Yeah, it's actually a lot of fun experimenting with it. That said, if you're gonna do ponies, I would either go with fine detail plastic or polished white plastic and then paint them yourself, rather then doing a full color sandstone print. The sandstone prints look very faded and have a rough texture to them, which doesn't match up to the smooth plastic of the official toys. They only really work when they're by themselves.

Tomato

So some of you might have noticed I made myself a new avatar. Well, let's just say it's KIND OF related to this thread and leave it at that. Full image:

Outcast

That's a nice take on your avatar there Tomato.  He looks more human now compared to before. And much younger too.

I can only assume the decision to make his face/skin a different shade of red was because it might make the red neck lining of his costume unnoticeable. :unsure:

Tomato

Quote from: Outcast on September 20, 2013, 04:11:04 PM
That's a nice take on your avatar there Tomato.  He looks more human now compared to before. And much younger too.

I can only assume the decision to make his face/skin a different shade of red was because it might make the red neck lining of his costume unnoticeable. :unsure:

It's more to create a clear separation between his skin tone and his costume. The high collar is a more recent addition, something I plan on adding to the costume when I get around to making it IRL.

Bonus points to anyone who manages to guess the style btw.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Dangit, couldn't see the link, was browsing via my phone (at my parent's house then work). Yes, you're correct

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

I don't care what others say...you look like a red shirt from Star Trek...you know what that means...YOU DIE FIRST!!!!

Tomato

Quote from: Deaths Jester on September 23, 2013, 02:09:39 PM
I don't care what others say...you look like a red shirt from Star Trek...you know what that means...YOU DIE FIRST!!!!

That's ok... whenever one dies, another always comes back.

To be fair though, I heard that comparison the other day too, and I'd say the outfit looks more like the TNG uniform (which indicates a command officer rather than security personell)

naitvalis

even if you got a new avatar, you are still no one if you don't have a soup-er armor this days, so here is a little gift.

upload

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Quote from: naitvalis on September 24, 2013, 04:26:42 PM
even if you got a new avatar, you are still no one if you don't have a soup-er armor this days, so here is a little gift.

upload

Nait, you have no idea how much I needed that today. I really really needed a good laugh, thank you.

naitvalis

hehe  ;), now you are ready for battle!  but don't forget the salt...

Reepicheep

Outcast

I think DJ's answer is more closer to Pod's link. I don't see any resemblance from Pod's link. But DJ's Star Trek reference....well that i can see.

Cool concept for Tomato's armor Nait. :thumbup:

Tomato

Outcast

Well, i thought it had something to do with the style of the costume. But now i see it's about having a human counterpart like the Little Ponies. :P :doh: :wacko:

Tomato

Up late because my stomach is tied in knots, wanted to do a something. Ponified Stumpy's avatar

And an avatar version:

Tomato

Deaths Jester

Gah...I thought you'd ran out of steam with these but nooo...more bloody ponies.  Now you really are going to DIE!  Why? Because I'm going to hunt you down and end your pony obsessed life.  Enjoy!  :P

Tomato

*shrug* Honestly DJ... I'm really not obsessed anymore. I even made a blog post on my tumblr a year or so back saying I no longer consider myself a brony. I still watch the show occasionally and I'm still have friends who are fans, but the fanbase's negativity about certain plot elements (discord becoming a good guy, Alicorn Twilight) finally got to me. I'm just a casual fan nowadays.

That said, I do have a lot of fun doing these, and I only really stopped because I didn't really have anyone else to do. I do want to finally try my hand at Nait's avatar (he sent me a pm awhile ago, but I've had a hard time translating what he sent me into something practical)

Tomato

Finally wrapped my head around what I wanted for Naitvalis.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Deaths Jester

Alrighty...now that is a bit more arse kicking...why couldn't my...gah can't believe I'm saying this...pony look like that or such?