Does anyone still play MAGIC THE GATHERING?

Started by lugaru, November 18, 2011, 04:04:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaru

Inspired by the Yugio thread, and because I've been on a campaign of getting back into CCG's.

I bought a few of the starter decks for Innistrad and a friend of mine is a huge collector so I buy him cards for him to add to his collection, which he graciously lets us make decks out of and play at his house. I also built a couple of decks using one of those websites where you buy individual cards, and got 'em all in the mail. They are fairly brutal, I'll describe the mechanics:

Big Snake Moan: Lorescale Coatl's, some more Coatl's and TONS of cards that make you draw cards. Well each time you draw a card you put a +1+1 counter on the lorescale coatl and eventually they become like 10/10 snakes.

Make It Rain: You bribe creatures (so they cant attack or block), turn creatures to gold, force your opponent to draw tons of cards he cant play... basically you bribe your oponent to death giving him free cards. A totally blinged out deck.

ALSO

I've got two amazing programs that require no brainpower and will fill your magical needs.

Forge

An insanely ambitious homebrew single player MTG experience with more than 9000 cards suported, fairly good A.I. and the ability to create your own decks (unlike duels of the plainswalkers). Also it has a cool "quest mode" where you duel, buy cards and win boosters. Also it is lightweight, runs on any machine and downloads the art so you dont have to track it down.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5678

If anyone downlads it let me know so you can fight some of my favorite decks I've built including a bunch of Innistrad ones.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--==-=-=-=-

Cockatrice

Another great, lightweight program that has a nice integrated chat room so it is easy to play magic online. The community is pretty cool (patient with newbies) and it downloads the art as you play, so no need to track down images online.

http://www.cockatrice.de/index.php?a=download

Deaths Jester

Though I don't play the game, I do collect the artwork due in no small part to the great work the artists do.   That and a few of the artists are top-notch or up-and-coming fantasy artists that I need to keep an eye on to stay up to date on the ever-changing styles.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

bearded

i play forge every day if i can. if i had ppl near me, i would play tabletop.

Velocity

I usually play every Friday night at the local card shop. I tend to play black in some capacity (my current deck is Blue/Black control).

UnfluffyBunny

I used to play once or twice a week with a group, but I moved :< I was hoping my "fix" would be covered with duel of the planeswalkers but no deck construction :/ I will try forge

lugaru

Quote from: UnfluffyBunny on November 18, 2011, 10:39:40 PM
I used to play once or twice a week with a group, but I moved :< I was hoping my "fix" would be covered with duel of the planeswalkers but no deck construction :/ I will try forge

Yeah check it out for sure... I know that Duels of the Plainswalkers can be hacked to have custom decks but you risk a bit in the process. Here you can build pretty much any deck (some cards are missing because they are hard to implement) and then play against decks you have built. Smarter still, the program can do drafts and creates draft decks quite frequently so you get to play against a lot of decks you have never seen before and will never see again. The game does have gaps, bugs and A.I. issues but those just remind you how crazy it is that the whole thing works in the first place. The dude who makes it is also really hardcore... putting out frequent "builds" and then a major update maybe every month or so.

Quote from: bearded on November 18, 2011, 07:38:21 PM
i play forge every day if i can. if i had ppl near me, i would play tabletop.

Nice... do you do quest at all? I found it a little frustrating at first but once you get a good deck or two it is really fun. Maybe we can exchange some preconstructed decks too, I have a tendency to build really weird concept decks that somehow work.

lugaru

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5820 

Forge has a new version out, and I'll be putting together some packs of decks I've built soon to play with or against.

Right now the most interesting one is called "Everyday I'm Shuffling". Basically it searches and destroys cards, causing your opponent to shuffle his deck, which causes Cosi's Trickster to grow.

lugaru

New version of Forge is out.

QuoteThe Forge team is very proud to announce that more than 10,000 cards are now available for play! This is an impressive amount, particularly considering that as of October 2011, the official game has produced 12,246 unique cards.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=6340

As somebody who plays Forge a lot I can say it has come a super long way and the interface is really pretty now. Also it has Dark Ascention cards, which are a blast.

In real life me and my friends got into commander, I bought two of the Boxed commander products and we spent an afternoon building commander decks from his crazy collection of cards (dude has the longboxes). I'm digging that format, it is made for 4 player free for all which is my favorite style of play, very strategic and political.

HarryTrotter

Necroposting,I know;but I recently started messing around with Forge.Actually,you do have to add the artwork for the newer sets manually.
Im playing a lot of deck,but mostly its Battle of Wits,Minotaurs and a Hellbent-artifact(ish).And an old skool Painter/Grindstone combo.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer