News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

StArter for 10: Round 1

Started by PreRaphaelite, December 05, 2011, 10:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PreRaphaelite

It's been too long since I last made a topic (let alone a game) so I think it's time to try something new.

How well do you know your... Art?

This is a very straightforward quiz game, without a twist. Starting off very simply with some Modern Masterpieces (c.1800+), all I want to know is: the Name, Creator(s), and (approximate) Date of the pieces shown.

The rules are easy enough: you're allowed to make a guess on TWO pictures in total. There will be two categories, A and B. Pictures from category A are worth 1 point, and pictures from category B are worth 2 points. The pictures you choose can be from the same category (either A or B) or one picture from each (One from A and one from B).

A correct answer is the complete Name/Creator/Date, and only the first person to get an answer right will get one point/two points for that picture.

And so... with great trepidation... let's see how this goes, shall we?

Category A (1 point/picture)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Answered by: Glitch Girl
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Category B
(2 points/picture)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler
Spoiler
Answered by: Glitch Girl
Spoiler
Spoiler
Answered by: Reepicheep
Spoiler

Spoiler
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Glitch Girl

oooo.. art! 

I'll give this a shot.  Is it okay if I looked up the dates to be exact?

Category A #2
Spoiler
The Dance, Herni Matisse  1909-10

Category B #4
Spoiler
The Doom Fulfilled, Edward Burne-Jones 1884-85 part of a series
(sidenote: our local museum had an exhibit of the series a few years back. T'was cool)

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

PreRaphaelite

Ah, it's good to see there's at least one contestant! And it's good news for GG. As well as being lucky enough to have first pick of pictures, you also scored 3 points for your answers.

And now for a quick (and hopefully final) update regarding my ruling on dates. Some artworks are constantly being reevaluated for construction dates, and The Doom Fulfilled is no exception to that. So in order to be fair, and to stop this all from being tooo serious, I'll accept anything within +/- 5 years of a guess for all paintings where the date isn't completely known/concrete.

Spoiler
The Doom Fulfilled is indeed part of the Perseus cycle, which, as a series has an approximate date range of between 1875-1890. However, the date of 1884-5 for this specific painting may be a little on the early side, with the Staatsgalerie Stuttgart (where the painting is held) leaning towards 1888. Still, it's an incredible painting, and I'm very jealous you were able to see some of the series.

Reepicheep

*blows dust off the Art A-level part of memory*

Had to look up all the dates here

Spoiler

A.1 - Shares the name as the Coldplay album that uses the art, is Viva La Vida by Frida Kahlo, 1830

B.6 - I had to look all the info up for spelling, but this is Svayambh by Anish Kapoor, which was installed in either 2007 or 2008 (was near where I live)

Thats all I got.

(edit, just spotted the two guess rule, and removed two answers)

PreRaphaelite

Congratulations Mr. Cheep, you scored an admirable 2 points for correctly guessing the incredible sculpture by Anish Kapoor. 

Regarding your first answer:
Spoiler
You were going in a great direction by using the Coldplay album as a starting point (which I had completely forgotten!). Unfortunately, while the title of the album was indeed taken from Frida Kahlo's Viva La Vida, her artwork wasn't used for the cover. Her actual painting can be seen here: http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/frida-kahlo/viva-la-vida-watermelons

Glitch Girl

if I may...

Spoiler
That first one is "Liberty Leading the People" by Delacroix, 1830.  It's a very popular painting in france, especially during the bicentennial.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: Glitch Girl on December 09, 2011, 03:52:18 AM
if I may...

Spoiler
That first one is "Liberty Leading the People" by Delacroix, 1830.  It's a very popular painting in france, especially during the bicentennial.

That is indeed the answer I was looking for! Good stuff.

If nobody else decides to have a go by tomorrow, let's turn this into an open competition and see who can name the most of the remaining pictures. Then for round 2 I'll try a different approach to this game, since some of the pictures I've chosen are perhaps a little too obscure.

Tawodi Osdi

Spoiler
La Liberté guidant le peuple by Eugene Delacroix