News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Galactus vs. Dormammu?

Started by Shaboba, September 28, 2010, 05:10:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaboba

Generally speaking, do you think Dormammu could ever defeat or at least put up a fight against Galactus? I have them both at about equal tier level in my FFvTTR roster and I just wanna know if that's balanced or if I'm giving Dormammu too much credit.

thanoson

Too much credit. He has a problem with Dr. Strange. I don't ever see Galactus having a problem with Strange. But, he should be a step lower.
Long live Slaanesh, Prince of Pain!!!

BlueBard

Seconded.

Gally's got the Power Cosmic... and he's probably the most powerful being in the Universe in that regard.  Add to that all of the technology he's collected in his World-Ship.  Galactus can be hurt, but he always seems to bounce back.

Mu is the Sorcerer Supreme of his dimension.  Like Dr. Strange, he probably has similar limits on how he can apply the power at his command without risking a backlash of mystical forces.  Upsetting the cosmic balance that Galactus represents is probably a huge no-no.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

cmdrkoenig67

I agree, Galactus would probably own Dormammu.

Dana

Panther_Gunn

....and probably use his little flaming head for a cigar lighter.

:lol:
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Shaboba

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on September 28, 2010, 11:43:10 PM
....and probably use his little flaming head for a cigar lighter.

:lol:

Quote of the day.

daglob

I dunno know now, if Dormie was in his home dimension and on his own turf... Galactus would eat it.

Alaric

On the whole, I agree with the general consensus. However, Dormammu's power level fluctuates a lot from story to story- from around Doc's level up to truly cosmic levels. At the most powerful he's ever been portrayed, I could see him possibly giving Galactus a bit of a fight.
Fear the "A"!!!

BlueBard

Quote from: daglob on September 29, 2010, 05:02:31 AM
I dunno know now, if Dormie was in his home dimension and on his own turf... Galactus would eat it.

Maybe... the trick is getting Galactus anywhere he doesn't want to go.

Although...

("Here, Gally!  C'mon!  Here's a nice big juicy planet!" SSHHZZAPP!)

herodad1

Galactus is one of my all time favorite villian/characters. but when it comes to mystic abilities is there a such thing as regular lightning and magic lightning or is magic a reality control thing? magic powers just lets you control lightning? Galactus absorbs energy. wouldnt he be able to absorb whatever energy Dormammu threw at him? might depend on if Galactus hasnt fed in awhile too. dunno about Galactus and his resistance to magic. in an issue of Fant.4 Dr. Strange caused Galactus pain with a spell in a weakened state which allowed the Thing to knock him out. also in a Rom issue he led Galactus to the wraith home world to absorb the planet and it caused him great pain. he couldn't eat the planet. then Galactus was attacked by 3-4 darkwing creatures and defeated them but his armor was shredded. i think Dormammu could cause him pain but not defeat him. even in his own dimension. not even Mephisto will mess with the big G.

BlueBard

Quote from: herodad1 on September 29, 2010, 04:09:21 PM
but when it comes to mystic abilities is there a such thing as regular lightning and magic lightning

There is in DC-land, but I dunno about the Marvel-U.  Probably depends on the writer.

And I suppose the issue of magic resistance depends on your definition of the difference between magic and cosmic powers.  I don't know if there are any official resources that tell how magic is supposed to work in the MU.  Cosmic power is somehow tapped into or otherwise derived from the universe (or multiverse).  If magic ultimately derives from cosmic power, then I would say that it's not necessarily a weakness for Galactus.  Certainly he has nothing to fear from the average magician.

According to a Galactus origin story I read a long, long time ago, Galactus derives his power as the sole survivor of another universe that was destroyed and resulted in the birth of the Marvel-U.  He is literally in a kind of symbiotic (or parasitic) relationship with the Marvel-U.  I seem to recall a dire warning about what might happen if Galactus were to actually perish, but I don't remember any details.

The Dire Wraith homeworld being indigestible makes sense to me, be it a case of negative energy or corruption of energy.  Not necessarily anything to do with magic.  Galactus has been known to need to devour certain kinds of planets; if a planet doesn't fit the profile, he either can't eat it, or gets little benefit from eating it.

Alaric

Generally, in the Marvel universe, the more cosmically-powerful beings seem to transcend the distinction between "science" and "magic" (unlike in DC, where these things seem to be fundamentally different on even the most cosmic scale).
Fear the "A"!!!

BlueBard

Quote from: Alaric on September 29, 2010, 08:08:19 PM
Generally, in the Marvel universe, the more cosmically-powerful beings seem to transcend the distinction between "science" and "magic" (unlike in DC, where these things seem to be fundamentally different on even the most cosmic scale).

Seems to me that DC has dealt with "magic" more than Marvel.  Proportionally, I think DC has more magic-users or magical beings and some of those characters are pretty major characters.  Captain Marvel and Zatanna for example.  So the distinction makes a certain amount of sense there and there's a lot more history to take into account.

Marvel's approach to magic, Dr. Strange being the loose exception to the rule, seems a lot more arbitrary in some ways.  When magic does come up in the MU, it's often tied to mythological or occult-ish characters.

Would Galactus therefore have no problem with Thor's hammer?  Could he pick it up and wield it if he wanted to?  Disintegrate it at the atomic level?  Something tells me he could... but again, Marvel writers have a lot of leeway with this kind of thing.

Somebody ought to ask Bendis.  That's probably as close to an official answer as you could get. :)

thalaw2

Com'on!  Gally's hands are too big for Thor's hammer. lol Besides he wouldn't bother to bend over and pick it up even if he were smaller.  He's too much of a prude for that.  Also, I think there was some story where he nearly ate all of Asgard. 
革命不会被电视转播

ZozmaSage

Stealth revive! Not that anyone's likely to care about this debate now (even if they did initially), but I love Dr. Strange and his rogue gallery, so I can't help but not contribute!

The general agreement seems to be that Galactus would defeat Dormammu. I agree, although I don't think it will be nearly the curbstomp some posters think it will be. I think Dormammu can and would challenge Galactus' abilities, and is more than capable of doing some damage if suitably prepared. According to the Marvel wiki, a very reliable source of Marvel canon*, Dormammu can hold his own (and potentially trump) Agamotto, who in turn has held his own against Galactus. He can best wielders of the phoenix force, gods, and with the help of Umar, even screw around with Eternity. Does all that put him in a position to beat Galactus, one of the most powerful characters in the Marvel Universe? I'd say not, but I don't think Galactus would have an easy time beating Dormammu, either.

*Reader's definition of "reliable" may differ from ZozmaSage's

bearded

didn't west coast avengers beat mu one time?