News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

A predator's work is never done.

Started by naitvalis, January 10, 2012, 10:07:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

naitvalis

new work i'm working on, still un-coloured un-shadowed, feel free to post your critiques.
(in free time i like to draw, let me know if you like my style, and want me draw something for you, for free of course.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
visit my deviant gallery: http://naitvalis.deviantart.com/

PreRaphaelite

I can't see the image at the moment (Imageshack is in a mood with me), so I snuck onto your DA gallery. I'm guessing the image is the 'Captain America vs Predator' one? If not, I'm about to comment on something completely different...

So far it's looking pretty funky! (The good kind of funky that is, rather than the "Dude, what's that funky smell?" kind of funky).

The detail you've given to the Predator's face is great, and shows you 've taken a lot of care with the image. The (somewhat gruesome!) inclusion of Hawkeye's... er... 'misplaced' head is a nice touch, and adds to the sense of conflict in the image. Both characters fill the space nicely, Captain America seems suitably vulnerable, and the Predator's balance on the ground seems solid and convincing. Were I to find fault with the image, I would say the placement/angle of the fallen shield is a little bit off - it seems a tad bit lost/wonky on the page. Also, it might be nice to see a bit of variation in your use of line. I know you're going to be colouring/inking it (which I look forward to seeing) but I really think that by playing around with different types and thicknesses of line in the future might help you to take your technique to the next level.

Overall - Good stuff!  :D
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

naitvalis

wow! thats what i call a good review!  :thumbup:
and you have a good eye let me say! you immediatly noticed that i'm not an inker!  and yes that shield is totally a mess...
thank you for your detailed review on this, i really appreciate, its not easy to find a good eye like yours.
(yes the work is that one on DA.)

naitvalis

PreRaphaelite

Wow, that was certainly quick! Looks like somebody was eager to get going.  ;)

I do like it, but I must admit I think I prefer the uncoloured version. From what I can see you favour a very relaxed style when it comes to colouring, in some cases causing your shading to slip outside the lines (which can sometimes work in favour of a piece, but unfortunately looks a little messy here). Nevertheless, it has a nice semi-watercolour effect to it, despite coming across a little unpolished.

I especially like the shading on Predator's arm-claws, which gives it an interesting texture. And although I appreciate the crack marks on the shield, which develops the story and helps make it stand out amongst the rubble, I think my main problem is the angle of the star on the front. I think it's a bit too full frontal, as the curve of the shield and its tilted placement would obscure part of it from us.

Coming back to colouring, I feel the piece still looks a bit flat. To rectify this you could use a harder brush setting and get down some solid dark areas, to ground the characters and provide some depth. Try playing around with a single light source and using different levels of saturation to highlight rather than detract from focal points (For example, the bright/over-patterned background comes off a bit garish and makes it difficult to focus on all of the hard work in the rest of the picture!)

Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the coloured version. I just think that, judging from your linework, you can do better.

If you're interested, a useful thing for you to do might be to spend some time looking through some 19th century poster designs and sketches, in particular those by Alphonse Mucha. Mucha's posters often use very clear, crisp lines that I think would prove useful sources of inspiration for your design aesthetic. Furthermore, many of his paintings mix colours in a way that seems very textured/patterned/watercoloury but with areas that are a lot more simple and subtle and might give you some ideas about where you want to go next.
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

naitvalis

thanks again for the honest review  PreRaphaelite, and i agree totally with you, ive still lot to learn about colour.

cmdrkoenig67

That's quite good, Nait...I like the color version too.  Nice expessions on the faces too.  The Hawkeye head is really disturbing...LOL.

Dana

naitvalis

thanks Dana, for your comment but especially for your great maps :D (wich i use ever).

MJB

I was going to throw my 2¢ in but it looks like PreRaph really hit all the fine points.

Great drawing. Love the composition but you may want to experiment with ink weights. The colored version is a good first try. Digital coloring is hard to learn & even harder to master. I'm still learning tricks & new methods & I've been at it for years.

Keep drawing/coloring & be sure to show us your newest stuff!