News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Em's Crap! (CLOSED)

Started by MJB, January 23, 2012, 08:09:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJB

Wow. Thanks for all the kind words & quick feedback, Juan. :D

Quote from: juancho on February 02, 2012, 09:08:20 AMwho is the one in the front centre? X-Stream?

That's Ink's character Teknos.

Tomato

Quote from: MJB on February 02, 2012, 09:31:12 AM

Quote from: juancho on February 02, 2012, 09:08:20 AMwho is the one in the front centre? X-Stream?

Not ink's... he's a forgotten member of Electric Freedom, and one of the game's main antagonists later on.

Edit: meh, this is what happens when I try to post shiz on my way to work... response ends up too short and reads almost curtly. Here's a bit more info.

Teknos is the redesigned/retconned avatar of one of Electric Freedom's members back in the day, which I put together for the Influx story. His purpose in the first "arc" is to bridge the gap between the prequel level (EF vs Randy) and the first one, being playable in both. He'd also have an arc later on which would turn him into one of the team's major adversaries.

Also, I'm assuming this means I don't have to rush home today and try to pound out a pony av before bed.

PreRaphaelite

Thanks for sharing this with us Majub and Toto, it's a lovely piece.

I must say, my immediate impressions are purely sentimental. The semi-halftone effect, the worn edges and the clever use of classic comicbook elements (the comics code, tatty barcode, staples and simple EmJayBee logo) forge an instant connection to the piece. It comes laden with all the familiarity of a well-worn vintage comic.

The group composition is simple but interesting, and you use colour effectively to showcase the heroes and then slowly draw the eye back to the ominous presence of Randy in the background (had to be very careful not to say the 'Randy presence'). I like the hands coming around to the front, stopping short the lightning, and also the way the different personalities of the team are cast in their stances and facial expressions. I think perhaps some of the poses are a tad bit wooden, and it's a shame that the front character (Teknos?) is a little cropped at the feet, but these are very minor things. In all, it's a good showcase of your style, it's a polished image, and it's playful without being overtly silly or melodramatic.

Also, I read through the VR#1 comic last night - it was great, loved it, very well done indeed. I'd give you more feedback, but I think I'll hold back until the next comic comes out...  ;)

Edit:
Also, there's a kind of matte quality I'm enjoying about Influx after seeing all your covers lined up together. The use of a Payne's Grey 'black' (almost a CMYK type of black) adds a nice subtlety to it.
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 02, 2012, 11:35:10 AM
Quote from: MJB on February 02, 2012, 09:31:12 AM

Not ink's... he's a forgotten member of Electric Freedom, and one of the game's main antagonists later on.

Edit: meh, this is what happens when I try to post shiz on my way to work... response ends up too short and reads almost curtly. Here's a bit more info.

Teknos is the redesigned/retconned avatar of one of Electric Freedom's members back in the day, which I put together for the Influx story. His purpose in the first "arc" is to bridge the gap between the prequel level (EF vs Randy) and the first one, being playable in both. He'd also have an arc later on which would turn him into one of the team's major adversaries.

Also, I'm assuming this means I don't have to rush home today and try to pound out a pony av before bed.

Didn't Interceptor decide to rework himself into being Teknos?  If I remember rightly that was what you had said once...unsure.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

I only ever said that one of the original EF members was reworked into Teknos. Someone else might have assumed Interceptor, but I personally have never said who it is. (It's not that hard to figure out who though... I'm honestly shocked no one has guessed yet)

juancho

he looks a bit like C6, with another colour scheme and his brown hair showing :P
Was C6 at the original EF (shame on me, I should remeber this kind of stuff, I've been around since those days)

Tomato

I don't remember if he was or not, but it isn't him... however, the similarities to C6's primary armor are intended and deliberate.

MJB

My first post there was a typo. I intended to say "That's Tomato's character Teknos." Even though as it now turns out that's also wrong.

My guess is Interceptor.

Tomato

Quote from: MJB on February 03, 2012, 12:26:43 AM
My first post there was a typo. I intended to say "That's Tomato's character Teknos." Even though as it now turns out that's also wrong.

My guess is Interceptor.

Actually, it's only partly wrong on both counts... waaaaaay back when Ink actually did the design for the person's av, and I did the redesign based partly on that... so, you weren't exactly wrong in your assumptions.

... at least until that last whopper you just threw in.

Figure Fan

I love the composition on the Influx piece, especially with Randy in the background being all spooky and red/black. Great use of the dot texture here too. It really lends to that comic book-y look. Did you make it yourself? I might want to try that on the drawing I did of your avatar, as well as future drawings.

MikeB7

It's your first alter ego!  AntmanNext or something?  YOU WERE CALLING FROM INSIDE THE HOUSE!@!!!  *cue Halloween/Jason theme song*

And the old comic book touches on the Influx cover are awesome, Meej!

MJB

As I promised here is something all-new...

Cover dated March 1969
Published by Komix Brand Komix
General Victory #77 (GV's first solo comic!)

Drew this up originally just as a drawing exercise. Liked how it looked so I inked it. Liked that so I colored it, etc, etc...

The finished product really inspired me. I'm now totally hooked on faux comic covers. I hope you guys like them too because I have a bunch finished up. :D

Last and very much least is the "Blame the Wife" pic. Wifey was sick & had a headache last week. While doped up on cold pills she sickly looked up at me before going to bed & requested that I draw Lou as a Smurf. -.-;

Here it is. <.<

Comments are very much appreciated!!

-MJB

***EDIT***
Just noticed while posting this that the cover date is wrong in the picture. It should be March but it says June. I'll fix it later. Too much to do right now. :mjb:

juancho

Me likey!
The old school vibe of general victory is just outstanding

...and I can't even describe the levels of awsomeness on the smurf lou...just can't... XD

PreRaphaelite

I think I'm more scared of Lou as a smurf than I ever was of him as a devil... I don't want to hug him anymore.  :(

I feel you've really taken it to the next level with this cover. The inking is superb - very reminiscent of the chosen era. You've also pushed the boat out with all the vintage trimmings, taking account of textures, dots - even the yellow overprinting in the background. I think my favourite part of the cover is Gru'nt: a fantastic facial expression, a very classic type of monster with inks and colours that feel worn and aged and suit the theme perfectly. As a whole, the composition fills the space very comfortably, and I love the visual joke - the smugness of GV and the tiny 'biff' made by his love tap really works/gave me a good chuckle. The inks and shading on GV are, again, well applied. Were I to be fussy, I would have to say GV comes across a bit more polished/saturated than the rest of the comic. While it helps him to stand out as the protagonist, it does contrast slightly with the vintage vibe. Indeed, some of the comic hardware (the Komix box, the 'in his own magazine at last!' and 'Victory' text) could be aged a little more as they seem a little 'stuck on' at the moment - unlike the 'Versus Gru'nt' box at the bottom of the cover which fits in perfectly. But perhaps I'm just over-reacting to the brightness of the white...?

Seriously though, I'm getting more and more impressed every Monday.

...now get Lou away from me before I cry.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on February 03, 2012, 12:39:47 AM

My guess is Interceptor.

Actually, it's only partly wrong on both counts... waaaaaay back when Ink actually did the design for the person's av, and I did the redesign based partly on that... so, you weren't exactly wrong in your assumptions.

Wait...Tortuga was one of the originals for EF!  Perhaps...perhaps....
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

naitvalis

what i like most? the aged comic covers! and this a very well done piece! there is something funny and absolute cool in the face expression of the general victory, congratz, keep it up the good work mjb!

Kommando

Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 06, 2012, 06:44:59 PM

My guess is Interceptor.

Earliest snapshot I could find for Electric Freedom is from August 4, 2002.

Tomato

Guys... as amusing as it is seeing you obsess about the whole Teknos mystery, I think we're almost spamming poor MJB out of his own art thread.

That said, most of you are over-thinking this. Think about it guys... who would I personally know well enough to feel comfortable changing whatever I wanted about their avatar? What member of EF would I be willing to manipulate from a hero to one of the major villains in the Influx arc? Who would I still, to this day, be able to contact that no one else on here could?

The evidence is there already... I've already told you much of his design is blatantly from C6's avatar. If it's not C6, why would he be using it? One of you guessed who it might be already. Just figure out why.

MJB

Quote from: juancho on February 06, 2012, 02:19:33 PM
Me likey!
The old school vibe of general victory is just outstanding

...and I can't even describe the levels of awsomeness on the smurf lou...just can't... XD

Old school is the vibe I was going for, thanks Juan. :)

Smurf Lou isn't awesome he is an abomination. He shouldn't exist.

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on February 06, 2012, 02:24:12 PM
I think I'm more scared of Lou as a smurf than I ever was of him as a devil... I don't want to hug him anymore.  :(

You have finally come to your senses.

Quote from: PreRaphaeliteI feel you've really taken it to the next level with this cover. The inking is superb - very reminiscent of the chosen era. You've also pushed the boat out with all the vintage trimmings, taking account of textures, dots - even the yellow overprinting in the background. I think my favourite part of the cover is Gru'nt: a fantastic facial expression, a very classic type of monster with inks and colours that feel worn and aged and suit the theme perfectly. As a whole, the composition fills the space very comfortably, and I love the visual joke - the smugness of GV and the tiny 'biff' made by his love tap really works/gave me a good chuckle. The inks and shading on GV are, again, well applied. Were I to be fussy, I would have to say GV comes across a bit more polished/saturated than the rest of the comic. While it helps him to stand out as the protagonist, it does contrast slightly with the vintage vibe. Indeed, some of the comic hardware (the Komix box, the 'in his own magazine at last!' and 'Victory' text) could be aged a little more as they seem a little 'stuck on' at the moment - unlike the 'Versus Gru'nt' box at the bottom of the cover which fits in perfectly. But perhaps I'm just over-reacting to the brightness of the white...?

Seriously though, I'm getting more and more impressed every Monday.

...now get Lou away from me before I cry.

I looked back at the cover after reading your post & you are right. The header needed to be aged down a bit. Problem was that I'm working on so many of these things that when I come up with a new technique I forget to go back & apply it. I aged the borders a tad & did some shifting with the colors to give more parts that over printed look. I also fixed the cover date. That bugged me more than anything else. *sigh*

Quote from: naitvalis on February 06, 2012, 07:23:40 PM
what i like most? the aged comic covers! and this a very well done piece! there is something funny and absolute cool in the face expression of the general victory, congratz, keep it up the good work mjb!

Honestly I wasn't going for funny with his expression. I was going for kinda-corny 60's superhero smug. Thanks for the comment Nait, I appreciate it!

PreRaphaelite

Wow, what a difference that made. It's great. It looks so authentic, I wouldn't change a thing.

It's good to hear you're in such a creative place at the moment that you're having more technical breakthroughs than you can handle!  :lol:

Outcast

It's always a joy for me to see new character(heroes/villains) designs. And seeing them in comic covers just makes it more fun. (much like what the freedom force comic covers did for me when i first saw them) I think it's pretty cool to be able to do such a thing. So yeah i like it very much. :)

Quote from: Kommando on February 06, 2012, 07:57:09 PM
Also just a quick comment on this. This is the first time i've seen the site. Cool. :cool:

PreRaphaelite

Quote from: Outcast on February 06, 2012, 11:15:56 PM
It's always a joy for me to see new character(heroes/villains) designs. And seeing them in comic covers just makes it more fun. (much like what the freedom force comic covers did for me when i first saw them) I think it's pretty cool to be able to do such a thing. So yeah i like it very much. :)

Quote from: Kommando on February 06, 2012, 07:57:09 PM
Also just a quick comment on this. This is the first time i've seen the site. Cool. :cool:

And, interestingly enough, the link includes a picture of the good General himself: http://web.archive.org/web/20020817093003im_/http://electric-freedom.com/images/General_Victory.jpg

MJB

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on February 07, 2012, 12:00:54 AMAnd, interestingly enough, the link includes a picture of the good General himself: http://web.archive.org/web/20020817093003im_/http://electric-freedom.com/images/General_Victory.jpg

Ew! OMG was that skin horrid LOL. General Victory has been a character of mine since I was little. He's about 20 years old now.

Tortuga

You know I'm a big fan of your crap.

If you ever want to color anything without all the hassle of drawing, lemme know!  :P

Tortuga

Quote from: Deaths Jester on February 06, 2012, 06:44:59 PM

My guess is Interceptor.

As far as I remember, I joined EF shortly before its demise.

I had nothing to do with it.  Honest.

MJB

Quote from: Tortuga on February 07, 2012, 12:24:56 AM
You know I'm a big fan of your crap.

If you ever want to color anything without all the hassle of drawing, lemme know!  :P

Thanks for the comment, Tort!  :bandwagon

As far as coloring something for you; I'm having way too much fun working on my stuff right now. I'm afraid if I deviate I'll lose this steam & fizzle out.

MJB

It's time for Tomato Thursday!

Here's commission #2 aka Influx #1 featuring Kid Rocket, Tomato & Ch'nybe.

The inks & colors without the aging are on my DeviantArt page.

-MJB

*EDIT*
Sorry for the double post. Didn't want to wait much longer to show off this cover I did for Mater head. :D

captainspud

I really like the colour dots you're using. It's a great effect. :)
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Let us work together to correct it.

PreRaphaelite

It's so bright and cheerful, and I agree with Spud (what?!), the dot effect is great and adds just the right amount of texture/authenticity without being distracting. All the colours look suitably aged as well, and I really dig the contrasting blue/yellow and blue/white gradation in the background. The hint of dust/damp on the dark parts of the comic is also a clever touch.

There's a great dynamic between the determined Tomato and the puzzled and innocent-looking Kid Rocket; the colours of their costumes (though predesigned) work especially well to highlight this, with the red that links them and the white/black that helps to signify their individual persona. I really like the placement of Ch'nybe in the cover, as your eye is made to gravitate towards him as this menace/possible threat in the foreground. His head does sit rather massive on his body, though that might be intentional(?). And as far as small details go, I think those areas around Ch'nybe's shoulder/armpit where you use a gradiant outline to separate him from the shadows is an effective technique.  ^_^

Outcast

All i can say is... Tomato sure is one lucky guy to have someone like you make comic covers for his original characters. :)