News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Spud's Art: THE ALSO RETURN!

Started by captainspud, January 30, 2012, 05:07:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captainspud

Pfft, Meejub's not cooler than me! I can have an art thread too!

I haven't posted art in years, so I've got easily tens-- tens!-- of pictures saved up!

I hereby declare that as long as Meejub is posting something every Monday, so shall I, so that I ALSO MAY BE ONE OF THE COOL KIDS!

Week 1: Gobber Gun Mage

Of course, I don't actually draw superheroes much (or at all) anymore, so y'all will have to settle for the various doodles I've tossed together for the games I've been playing the past few years-- various D&D campaigns, and the fantasy/steampunk hybrid wargame I play. Also, some weeks I may not actually have finished pictures, so I may half-arse the thread premise by sharing sketches, sculpts or whatever else I can dredge up.

For my first MEEJUB SMELLS MONDAY, let's start with a picture I did toward the end of last year for the RPG I'm running in the aforementioned steampunk/fantasy setting; I'm drawing all of the party members, then eventually I'll be sculpting a mini for each one. This little dude is a Gobber Gun Mage-- he weaves destructive magic into bullets, because apparently getting shot with an inch of filthy lead isn't a grievous enough injury for a fantasy setting.

HA-CHA!

Also, I happened to record myself drawing this one, so it's on the YouTubes.

And stuff.
I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Let us work together to correct it.

naitvalis

this is a very niiiiice goblin! love that flintlock magic gun! ....now i want a flintlock magic gun to!!
congratz spud :thumbup: :thumbup:!!

Figure Fan

This is awesome! I like the facial expression and the weapon effects.

PreRaphaelite

Jeez, with all these artists returning and the corresponding influx in artwork production, I might have to resort to giving monosyllabic feedback! ... Eventually.

Should we be worried that this is the start of some Potato vs. Popsicle war? Should we cower from the incoming onslaught of frozen fries and crushed ice? Either way, I'm loving it. Figure Fan is right, the weapon effects are excellent. In particular, I'm a fan of the way the energy wraps so seamlessly around the explosive shell, and the successful composition that has one hand casting (thoughtlessly, effortlessly) while the other fires. The detail on the gloves and the weapon is great to see, with the attention to textures and lighting adding to their tactility and conviction. You also manage to convey a lot of action and movement in what could have been a very generic "character" image, with the swinging key and the leaping position.

Nevertheless, I think putting the character in an environment would have helped to enhance that action – stopped him from floating in space and given him a bit more of a story (though for all I know you're planning to put all the characters of the RPG together in a group shot at the end). I also would have liked to see a bit more variation in the clothing/body: the shading works well, but the colours and textures come off a little 'samey' in places, causing much of the viewer's attention to be drawn away by the light show to the right. To me that's a big shame because there's a lot of expression and character in the body that I feel is being a tad overlooked. Then again, these are only small things, as the piece as a whole is very impressive and leaves me eager to see more.

Oh... and, uh... didn't you get the memo? I'm sorry, but we had a group vote while you were out and agreed you could never be a cool kid.
What can you do, ay?
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Panther_Gunn

Quote from: PreRaphaelite on January 30, 2012, 09:54:28 PM
Oh... and, uh... didn't you get the memo? I'm sorry, but we had a group vote while you were out and agreed you could never be a cool kid.
What can you do, ay?

*cue meathook*
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Outcast

That's very cool indeed. :cool:

I enjoy watching those kinds of videos. Makes me wonder how long it actually took you to finish the artwork. Plus the music rocks,were you actually listening to that as you worked? I think it would really motivate someone to work on any artwork.  :)

MJB

Quote from: captainspud on January 30, 2012, 05:07:33 PM
Pfft, Meejub's not cooler than me! I can have an art thread too!

As PreRaph explained, we had a secret vote. You can't be a "cool kid". :P

Quote from: captainspudI hereby declare that as long as Meejub is posting something every Monday, so shall I, so that I ALSO MAY BE ONE OF THE COOL KIDS!

No... NO... NOOOOO!!! You can't have Meejub Monday! It's mine!! MINE!!!!

Quote from: captainspudWeek 1: Gobber Gun Mage

I love the pose of the little Goblin. Your video was interesting to watch. I may now be your sworn enemy but I can admit you did a good job. I do have one nit to pick with you... You... stole... my explanation mark! You took it! *sobs*

I dub myself the winner of the first ever Popsicle vs Potato Battle For Monday on the grounds that my Villains Reborn 2012 image rocked harder!

Feel free to object but as a "cool kid" I reserve the right to totally ignore you. Totally.

Tomato

*thinks this fighting over Monday is silly and instead claims "Tomato Tuesday" and "Tomato Thursday"... because ponies are too awesome to be confined to one day*

juancho

Quote from: Tomato on January 31, 2012, 04:35:53 PM
*thinks this fighting over Monday is silly and instead claims "Tomato Tuesday" and "Tomato Thursday"... because ponies are too awesome to be confined to one day*

Then I claim Micro Wednesday!!!

all jokes aside. I love your art Spud. I still got that awsome Lord Jay piece you did saved in my hard drive. I'am so glad you have decided to psot new stuff!

Xenolith

XStream

OH! Spudly throws down.

Love this piece Spud. I have always been a fan of your art (hence my obsessive need to share the XStream's Apartment pic that you made). Can't wait to see the competition continue.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

captainspud

A competition implies that both sides have a chance to win.

That is not the case here, because Meejub is going down no matter how hard he kicks and screams.

I do not hold grudges against those who argue with me. If you disagree with me, it can only be because I have not made the correct understanding clear to you. Thus, your ignorance is my fault, not yours.

Tomato

Spud... don't (badly) quote dumb lines from First Class. It only cements your uncoolness.

"I wouldn't call it a war, exactly. That suggests both sides stand an equal chance of winning. " -Emma.

captainspud

Not what I was going for at all. I don't remember anything from that movie.

MikeB7

Very cool, great pose.  Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes attack.  Love your art, I still have that uber-detailed drawing of Mikaal Septus taped to the wall. 

captainspud

Quote from: MikeB7 on February 01, 2012, 03:56:37 AM
Very cool, great pose.  Reminds me of a Calvin and Hobbes attack.  Love your art, I still have that uber-detailed drawing of Mikaal Septus taped to the wall.
Much as I'd like to take credit for that, I believe that may have been someone else's work. @_@

MikeB7

Aw crap, sorry.  You may be right.  Still a fan, tho.   :P

captainspud

And now, it's time for another riveting episode of MEEJUB IS A CHUMP MONDAY!

This continues the series from last week, with another party member for the fantasy/steampunk RPG.

This one is also recorded and on the YouTubes, though only the drawing segment because I had a lot of problems with the colouring half of the video.

Aaaaaand... I'm more or less out of polished backlog art after two items (I really don't draw much), so everything I post from here out will have to be either new work, unfinished work, or stuff I didn't like. Should be fun. :P

Previsionary

Great googley moogley, Spudderson. I'm really likin' that robot.
Disappear when you least expe--

naitvalis

:thumbup: :thumbup:  niiiiice work! and that robot wanna be a real kid to  :lol:?

PreRaphaelite

There's a lot of detail and style in this image. More than anything I'm loving the old man (not to be mistaken with loving the old man). I like the boldness of the linework, the many, many accessories that sit so comfortably on his person, and little details like the forearm tattoo and the soft waistcoat. But most of all, I want his shoes. They're propper clodhoppers that really add to the feel of the character.

The robot is also good. I think the white and yellow finish is quite refreshing, and the battle damage on its wrist blade and the wear and tear on its carapace are exciting touches that provide a deal of backstory to the character. I would have to say the robot is perhaps the weaker of the two designs, but only because it comes across as less polished than the old man. The colouring and shading of the pipes and mechanisms is a wee bit bland and could use a little variation, and some of the linework seems a bit rough in places.

Nevertheless, as a whole the steampunk Geppetto/Pinocchio vibe works surprisingly well, and I would hate to get on their bad side.
Yours sincerely, Judi Dench.

Reepicheep

Steampunk Einstein?

Love it - looks tremendous. Makes me wanna get me a tablet, seeing how great the lines look on these. But maybe you're making it look easy. :P

Outcast

I managed to watch Jack Marshall's video after watching your Gobber video last week.

The Gobber video is still my favorite along with the Carnivean video. :)

I agree with the comments on YouTube, you are one talented artist.  :cool:

juancho

Quote from: Reepicheep on February 07, 2012, 02:34:17 PM
Steampunk Einstein?

My thoughts exactly :D

Great Job Spud. I'm amazed by the skills you have man, nice to have major artists like you on board.

Tortuga

captainspud

Meejub Is A Carrier For Weasel AIDS Monday continues!

If you're already tired of fantasy/steampunk RPG characters, the relentless onslaught isn't going to let up any time soon. :P Here's one I drew just this week:

With the usual YouTubing.

Less whimsical than the last two, this is the party's gruff Pseudo-Russian Cleric of Morrow (or as we call him, Battle Jesus: "Help people, and be nice to them... but if that doesn't work, club them with something blunt and heavy.") Doing the picture the way I did was a bit of a gamble, because he still technically had two hands on Thursday when I drew it. And while I was fairly sure the player would continue to antagonize the mob boss they're working with, there was always the chance he'd go the diplomatic route instead and avoid the retaliation he kinda had coming.

Thankfully, if there's one thing you can always count on RPG players to do, it's to be total dickwads to the NPCs. :P

MJB

We get it... I stink. >.<;

Good job on the pic Spuddles. My only critique is that the front fold on his tunic just looks odd and out of place. Seems like there is something under there holding the robe up like that. o.O!

captainspud

Maybe he's just really happy to see you.

MJB

captainspud