News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Any Star Munchkin Players?

Started by BlueBard, March 08, 2012, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

I recently picked up Star Munchkin and I'm playing it with my 10 & 12 year old boys.  We're enjoying it enough that I bought the Star Munchkin 2 expansion and the Ships pack to go with it.

About the only thing I don't like about it, and I imagine it's an issue in many of the Munchkin games, is that some of the cards deal with gender changes and sexual innuendo.  Fortunately it's easy enough to remove cards from the deck and there are too many to easily shuffle as it is.

What about mixing in other Munchkin sets?  What sets would go well with Star Munchkin?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

lugaru

Yeah, munchkin is in the PG to MAAAAAAYBE PG13 range so some parental guidance is not a bad idea.

I've only played the original, just never really invested in expansions and stuff, but man what a fun game. I need to get some people together and run a couple of matches again.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Thematically nothing else quite matches exactly, but that never stops anyone from mixing them.

The mineexpansion are generally made to be generic and mix with anything.  The Sparkly Good Fairy's set introduces some co-op mechanics that might be good for the kiddies.

The original fantasy one has the most expansons and content and a ton of fun.  The superhero one is probably the closest you'll come to fitting in with star munchkin and, hey, it about heroes, so what's not to love!

Also, there are optional Epic Munchkin rules for all the sets you might want to look into if you haven't already.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Ohh yeah, the wife and I played regular Munchkin a while back, and we loved it so much that we went to the store to buy it.  I talked her into buying Star Munchkin instead.  I like it a lot, and it is pretty fun.  However, the original is better, methinks. :)
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

UnfluffyBunny

Aaaaaaaaaah Munchkin how I miss ye...
Since moving I don't see any of my old DnD buddies anymore :< so no DnD, no M&M, no MTG, no fluxx, and no munchkin :<
(on that note, if you haven't played it fluxx is also a really good card game to play in a small group)

BlueBard

Maybe someday SJG will make an online version of Munchkin.  Though I don't know that they've had a lot of success with online games in general. 

I used to play their Ultracorps game back when it was free to play and in beta, and dropped it when they switched over to subscriber based because for the kind of game it was the sub fee was way too expensive.

On a related note, I found out that there is or was a Paranoia-based card game published.  From what I could find out, it sounded a bit complicated, definitely PG-13 or better and thus unsuitable for my kids, and possibly not very well supported.  BUT it also sounded like it could be fun with the right players. :)  I miss that game (the 2nd edition, at least).
STO/CO: @bluegeek

catwhowalksbyhimself

Unfortunately I have the sad situation of being a huge board/card game fan and having no one to play with, although I still collect them.

I have, however, discover the Lord of the Ring LCG, which can actually be played solo.  I keep losing though.

One of these days I'll actually get to play a game of munchkin for real though.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Glitch Girl

Speaking of Munchkin....

I have the first three sets of Fantasy Munchkin and the Munchkin Blender set (the one with the Enhancer Enhancers and Epic rules).  Short version: my group got gamed out on this after one too many cutthroat games and I probably won't be using it again.  Would anyone be interested in giving them a good home?  If so, PM me and we can talk. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka