News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Creating Marvel based characters frowned upon?

Started by captmorgan72, March 14, 2012, 05:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

I made a character named GammaGoliath and he looks exactly like who he is based on. In game, I get harassed plenty, lol. I am guessing its a "unspoken rule" not to create Marvel based characters in the DC Online community?

JeyNyce

That's like going to a PC convention and shouting that you're a mac user  :lol:

It's not frown upon, but like with everything else, you will have haters.  So far my favorite Marvel clone that I've seen was Spiderman Ninja
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

bat1987

Quote from: captmorgan72 on March 14, 2012, 05:50:23 AM
I made a character named GammaGoliath and he looks exactly like who he is based on. In game, I get harassed plenty, lol. I am guessing its a "unspoken rule" not to create Marvel based characters in the DC Online community?

It happens even with people who make an exact copy of DC characters. I've seen quite a few examples of this.

BigAl1775

I don't think its frowned upon, but man they will give you a ribbing.  :P Remember their sales pitch...free to play, your way. If they didn't want you duping other heroes, then they wouldn't have made a collection that gives out an almost near duplicate of Iron Man's helm.
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)

JKCarrier

I know City of Heroes has a specific rule against making duplicates of copyrighted characters. (Of course, it's impossible to police that many players, so they basically depend on other players snitching on them.) I would be very surprised if DCUO didn't have a similar rule in place.

Dantalian

I have a Gadget Troller alt that is called Crimson Spyder. It's an old mock up from Scarlet Spider, a clone from Spider-Man.

During the Marvel/DC crossover, Lex took DNA from Spider-Man and cloned his own version, code name Crimson Spyder. Acts, talks, knows things like Peter Parker, but programmed to obey Lex Luthor.

captmorgan72

I deleted my Gamma Goliath character. He looked exactly like Hulk and that was starting to bug me too, lol. I made a new villain called Black Atom X. He was inspired by two of my favorite characters from the DC and Marvel universes, Black Adam and Hyperion. He looks like a blend of the two characters. Black suit with gold markings along with a golden atom on his chest. Recently he acquired a nice looking black cape with golden Greek keys bordering it.

I gave him fire as a main power. I felt like this would represent his atomic powers (Hyperion) well enough, along with iconic powers of heat vision and freeze breath. Word of power gives him some of Adam's power set. All in all, I really like this character and he is almost at level 22. I have 4 power points to use and plan on plugging in nanoweave armor, super-strength, powerful resistance and Wisdom of Solomon. That should be a nice boost to his power. Then maybe I can solo John Stewart and Kilowog.