Arrow (Green Arrow) TV series

Started by Midnite, March 20, 2012, 05:32:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

I think the Smallville adaptation of GA was much better than this show.  At least he had moral standards...Arrow is a decent show but to say the guy is GA would probably do injustice to die hard GA fans, because of the video game nature of the action/slaughter scenes.
革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

I dunno... Maybe it's just because I haven't seen the third episode yet (only seen 1 and 2) but I've been under the impression that the only people he outright killed were the guys who kidnapped him in episode 1. There are multiple comments (usually in scenes with Captain Sta... I mean, Lance) to the effect of "he put X of my men in the hospital" or "X of your people were injured," but no references to "hey, there are 20 dead bodies here" And he's very specifically set out to give all the people on his list a chance to do the right thing as well.

Yes, it is very violent. This is a guy shooting live arrows into people, there's only so many ways it can go. But I got the impression he's doing it very methodically... taking the grunts down WITHOUT killing them, if possible. If anything, that makes him more terrifying.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I should point out here, that the show doesn't even call itself Green Arrow.  It's just Arrow.  So is the character.  While it's clearly based on Green Arrow, even the show isn't claiming that's what it is.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Reepicheep

My guess is that they're trying to avoid the inevitable "but Green Arrow wouldn't do that'\" criticisms by changing the names around. Loyal enough to suggest it is Green Arrow, free enough to have their own way with the plot. If thats the case, thats actually a move I approve of.

Still not got around to catching this. Bah.

BentonGrey

Ehh, I'd approve of them actually creating their own character a lot more.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Benton, seriously, just watch it for yourself. You're getting a lot of opinions and such that are being exaggerated for effect (like the "ZOMG he's killing people like it's a video game" nonsense.) and you're letting it color your opinion before you go in.

It's a good show, it has a ton of comic references, and some sweet action to boot. That's all you should be concerned with right now. Once you've seen the first few episodes, THEN you can form an opinion on how close you feel the character is to the "Classic" Oliver Queen.

BentonGrey

Ehh, I'm not saying I won't, but I'm mostly just annoyed at this tendency in Hollywood.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Tomato

Well, I'll put it this way: He's far, far closer to being the "real" Oliver Queen then the nu52 Oliver is/was when I last read his book. So... yeah, that's a thing.

Cyber Burn

I'm actually enjoying the show, it's not the classic GA, but after reading the Nu52 version, I like the TV version much better. And yes, GA was on my pull till I had to cancel everything for financial reasons.

Reepicheep

Quote from: BentonGrey on October 28, 2012, 01:21:01 AM
Ehh, I'm not saying I won't, but I'm mostly just annoyed at this tendency in Hollywood.

With the way you're starting all your posts in 'ehh', your voice in my head sounds like Al Capone.

Deaths Jester

It's been okay for me though the fact that they kills Lawton in the first episode he appeared in doesn't bode well for many of the villians or the shows ability to stay on longer than a few seasons.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Reepicheep on October 29, 2012, 08:26:19 AM
Quote from: BentonGrey on October 28, 2012, 01:21:01 AM

With the way you're starting all your posts in 'ehh', your voice in my head sounds like Al Capone.

Ehh, fogetaboutit.
God Bless

Tomato

Quote from: Deaths Jester on October 29, 2012, 03:35:16 PM
It's been okay for me though the fact that they kills Lawton in the first episode he appeared in doesn't bode well for many of the villians or the shows ability to stay on longer than a few seasons.

Pfft, it's a comic related show. Like he's REALLY 100% dead. For all we know the arrow just punctured his eye glass, ollie was distracted before he verified the kill.

thalaw2

Quote from: Tomato on October 27, 2012, 12:40:28 PM
Yes, it is very violent. This is a guy shooting live arrows into people, there's only so many ways it can go. But I got the impression he's doing it very methodically... taking the grunts down WITHOUT killing them, if possible. If anything, that makes him more terrifying.

i'm not worried about the violence.  I'm jus sayin' it ain't GA is all.  Although, admitedly I haven't read any of the new incarnations of GA...so maybe he is running around killing folks now.
革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

From what I remember, he was working with a team and trying to make himself an internet celebrity.

No offense, I prefer the violence.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Arrow, like the Dark Knight series, are Deconstruction-Reconstruction loops.  In other words, they take the concepts, through them in the real world, show what doesn't work, then show another vision of the characters which does.  If you're a purist, maybe it's something you wouldn't like, but it can be interesting for those who aren't.  Trick arrows are mostly silly and impractical, so that leaves real arrows.  If you going to go running around shooting people with arrows, you are going to be killing people, at least sometimes.  That leads to this version of the character, a vigilante who isn't about slaughtering his enemies, but won't cry if a few die along the way and driven by vengeance, but ultimately with a good heart and the best of intentions.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Midnite

I see shades of purple. At least this Huntress has a mask, compare to the Birds of Prey show.  <_<

Tomato

Finally got around to seeing this weeks episode... but before I get into anything in-depth on it, first things first.

Spoiler

*cough* ok, that's out of my system now.

Spoiler
So, wow, that all just happened. We have him gaining his first official teammate (with confirmation that Deadshot probably killed diggle's bro), trying to do the whole "I'm a sexy secret hero guy" for Dinah and failing, his mother had recovered the ship he crashed in(and an even more shocking, her new hubby wasn't in on her shenanigans), the first time he had to take a life (OMGAH the feels!) and the oh so tiny plot point of the cops figuring out his secret identity and arresting him.

This is EPISODE FOUR. Normally you don't see these sorts of shenanigans until like, the end of a season or something. Granted, there's no way the arrest will hold (he's not stupid enough to have anything in the mansion, so all the cops have is the one video) and Diggle might play dress up to throw them off the scent. But still! EPISODE FOUR!

Podmark

I'm with Tomato, pretty cool stuff for episode 4. This show has been a very pleasant surprise.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

thalaw2

Ep 4 was pretty good.  I have a problem with Ep. 3

Spoiler
If Queen got shot by deadshot why didn't police find his blood at the scene?  They were able to collect arrows...maybe this will come out in Ep 5.  If it does and they manage to turn things around..then that's some awesome writing.  The ole' switch to the sidekick to throw off the scent has been done to death and I hope they don't use that to solve the arrest problem.

Finally they used the voice change thingy that worked so well in Smallville.  I'm glad this guy is called "The Hood" instead of Green Arrow.  For the record, I didn't think that step Pops was in on the conspiracy anyway...

革命不会被电视转播

Tomato

Spoiler
There might have been very trace elements of Oliver's blood at the crime scene, but A. it wouldn't be easily detected and B. there was another dead man bleeding to death nearby. The reality is cops do not have infinite budget for dna testing, and it was fairly reasonable to assume the blood came from the dead guy, especially since they were originally unaware that GA wasn't the killer.

thalaw2

Ep. 5 did something I didn't want them to do but....it wudn't all that bad.  In fact I thought it was another good episode....however for the sake of argument

Spoiler
Our man Oliver is ranking pretty high on the psychopath test.  I'm glad I recently read the book by Jon Ronson so I can keep tabs as the episodes advance.
革命不会被电视转播

Deaths Jester

Spoiler
Interstingly about Ollie's mother and her father's ship, if you've been keeping tabs on the show you know that she was most likely in on the shipwrecking and abandonment of her husband and son.  Will be worth watching to see what happens when Ollie finds this out!!

Also they just did the Royal Flush Gang and that wasn't so well done...though they did leave two of the crew free and unaccounted for so maybe they'll bring them back in a better way.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Midnite

Episode 5
Spoiler
Deathstroke was pretty awesome in the flashback. Hope he appears in Starling City soon.

Episode 6 was a solid one. Wish RFG was handle differently, maybe when the come back, they're be more high tech?
Loving how they're giving Ollie more trick arrows.  :thumbup:

thalaw2

Agreed...Ep. 6 solid, but the RFG did not live up to expectations.
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

I agree about the RFG, this episode seemed to be more about relationships, but it did do some decent backstory building and added a bit more motivation for Ollie to be a hero.

Spoiler
Does anyone else think that other guy, the all-american wonder boy, will end up becoming a villain?
I think they are playing a long game before Merlin goes bad.

Midnite

'Arrow' casts 'Spartacus' favorite in major role

QuoteCrixus is coming to Arrow!
Spartacus fan favorite Manu Bennett has been cast in a major role in The CW's breakout superhero drama.
Bennett, best known as Sparty's right-hand man and sometimes adversary on the Starz action series, is playing Slade Wilson on Arrow.
For fans of the Green Arrow comics, that character is a big one. In the comics, Wilson eventually becomes a major villain in the franchise — Deathstroke (whom we've already seen briefly in a flashback, masked, played by another actor). Like with the question of if/when Laurel Lance will become the Black Canary, sources won't comment on whether Wilson will become Deathstroke, an insider simply said, "You'll just have to keep watching Arrow."
EW DAILY POLL: Do you like 'midseason finales'?
Here's what we can tell you: As seen in flashbacks, Slade Wilson and Oliver Queen (Stephen Amell) will form an uneasy alliance on the island of Lian Yu.
The buffed-out Bennett will make for a potentially physically worthy adversary for star Amell on the series, which has been on a strong casting streak lately. John Barrowman has been a welcome addition, and Jessica De Gouw showed some compelling chemistry with Amell this week.
Bennett is currently committed to appearing in multiple episodes of the show. He will also appear in the upcoming final season of Spartacus, and has a role as an orc chieftain in The Hobbit. Arrow airs Wednesdays on The CW.

Midnite

'Arrow' seeking Shado: Will she be an ally for Oliver?

Quote"Arrow" is wasting no time introducing a multitude of villains and allies from the DC Comics universe -- and soon, we'll meet yet another. Zap2it has learned that producers are currently seeking the perfect actress to play Shado.

She's a vengeful archer and martial artist who first appeared in the comics in 1987. In the comics, Shado's purpose was to kill Americans who had disgraced her father and caused shame to fall on her family.

Of course, "Arrow" will give the character a new, unexpected twist. Shado will make her first appearance in episode 114, titled "The Odyssey." And yes -- she will have that familiar dragon tattoo.

The question remains as to whether Shado will be a friend or an adversary for Oliver. In the comics, they were at odds, until Shado helped Oliver take down a villain who had captured Laurel. They ended up working together to take down several more formidable villains.

Cyber Burn

It's been a while since anyone commented here, is anyone else still watching the show?

Podmark

I am. It has been a very pleasant surprise this TV season.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page