News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Today is First Contact Day!

Started by BlueBard, April 05, 2012, 01:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

STO is celebrating the anniversary of the day Humanity made contact with the Vulcans in Star Trek lore. 

This weekend there will be an opportunity to visit Utopia Planetia and claim a special space 'pet': a replica of the Phoenix flown by Efram Cochrane in the first launch of a human-built warp-capable ship.

Klingons are not left out.  The STO community is promoting Klingon Awareness Week and there is a brand new mission arc for the KDF faction!  If you have a Federation character level 25 or over, you can roll a Klingon, Gorn, Orion, Nausicaan, or Lethean character and fight for the glory of the Empire!
STO/CO: @bluegeek

captmorgan72

I reached Vice Admiral some time ago and stopped playing because I also finished up all the story line missions. I created a Klingon character but that was ruined when Starfleet personal was giving me orders instead of Klingons. I went to the forums and found out that the Klingon faction is not completed yet. So that ruined the immersion for me. Is the Klingon faction complete now or is it still broken?

BlueBard

Quote from: captmorgan72 on April 08, 2012, 05:11:59 PM
I reached Vice Admiral some time ago and stopped playing because I also finished up all the story line missions. I created a Klingon character but that was ruined when Starfleet personal was giving me orders instead of Klingons. I went to the forums and found out that the Klingon faction is not completed yet. So that ruined the immersion for me. Is the Klingon faction complete now or is it still broken?

The KDF faction is NOT complete, in the sense that there is still no PvE progression from level 1 and up (and indeed, you start out at a higher level to begin with).  Also, there is still not parity, game-wise, in costume options.  It is also recognized that PvP needs serious attention before there's really any true conflict between the player-factions.

Fortunately, Cryptic also recognizes these things.  But it's going to take some time.

Cryptic has chosen to focus on endgame play and fleet progression.  What that actually means we don't fully know yet.  But it does make sense when you consider that it is reasonably fast to level to 51 on both sides.  Plugging all of the variables into my bio-neural computer net, I can project several outcomes based on what we've been told about Season 6 and what's to come before and after.  Given Cryptic's track record, I have to stress that all of this is subject to change.

Fleet Progression is expected to lead to all of the following some time during or after Season 6 (ETA mid-June):

- Player-controlled Fleet starbases (S6)
- Additional T-5+ starships constructed at Fleet starbases (S6)
- Territory Control (S6-7)
- Expanded Exploration (S6-7)

Season 6 is expected to usher in game engine enhancements that will ultimately affect both the Foundry (more content, player-driven, more features than at present) and PvP (faster development of PvP maps, more PvP variations, leaderboards, ranked PvP).  There are also definite intentions of raising the level cap, but probably not before Season 7.  I fully believe that, given time, they will add PvE content to the KDF and gradually lower the starting level.

That said, all of that is going to take time.  Lots of time.  Cryptic is staffing up, but they can't staff up fast enough to excrete content and features on a continuous basis.

My advice, if you're mainly interested in playing a Klingon, is to stay Silver (no sub fee) and don't play the game at all except during special events.  Don't buy anything from the C-Store that doesn't relate to the KDF.  If money is an object, you might consider continuing to play your Fed occasionally so you can grind out Dilithium that you will use later on to buy C-Store points for use with your Klingon.

Duty Officer assignments are an excellent way to kill time and build up your resources, if you're into that.  You can easily log in once or twice a day for 15 minutes and load up one character with 10-20 assignments without even moving your starship.  (I recommend parking it in one of the exploration clusters; the Rolor Nebula off the Beta Ursae sector block is a good choice.)  Cryptic is also intending to put development time into extending the DO assignment game outside of the game client, as something you can do from a web browser or a mobile phone.

I have a Lieutenant General KDF officer.  My main goal for that character at present is to rank up in Marauding so that I can move through the Sirius block at will and grant that ability to other KDF temporarily.  I'm also trying to get through the content to unlock the KDF-only Fek'Ihri missions.  I'm hoping someone will start a KDF fleet for Freedom Reborn (and I'm hoping that somebody isn't me... one fleet to keep track of is quite enough, thanks).
STO/CO: @bluegeek