News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Spider-Man Mod

Started by rfreixo, April 08, 2012, 03:24:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rfreixo

Hello everyone! New guy here. Just learned about Freedom Force less than two months ago, and after finishing both of them, I really wanted to make something of my own. With the recent Marvel movies, I though I'd do a reimagining of the Avengers, both the group and the individual heroes, based on their early stories, but mixed a bit with the newer stuff and some original twists.
But, being a complete noob when it comes to modding, I decided to try something simpler first, as a test, before moving on to my original concept.
And thus, I started working on a Spider-Man mod, also based on his first few adventures.

I've been lurking around Freedom Reborn for a while, and I see that you have a strong community here. So, I was hoping you guys could offer advice and ideas - anything would be greatly appreciated. BentronGrey has given me some tips already, and they were very useful (BG, I fixed that problem I told you about! Thanks for the help!).
Two missions are complete already, with just some minor things to fix. By the way, I'm using Python, and no FFX.

Epimethee

Welcome to FR, Rfreixio. Looking forward to your mods.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

Cyber Burn

Welcome to the boards rfreixo, it's always good to see new content creators join the community.

BentonGrey

Welcome aboard Rfreixo!  I'm glad to hear you were able to sort that out and that my advice wasn't too far off the mark.  It's pretty awesome that you've already go two missions done.  I'm looking forward to see how it all turns out.  I've got a question for you, though.  You mentioned that you're not using FFX, do you mean EZScript?  If you're not using FFX, you really should be, as it isn't any extra work, but it provides you with loads of extra options in terms of building and customizing your characters.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

rfreixo

Thank you all for your kind words. BG, I chose not to use FFX at first because I wanted to work with the original thing as much as possible. But I've played a few mods with FFX, and I know it's great. I might include it later.
Right now my biggest problem is finding skins for the non-hero, supporting characters, specially Jameson and Aunt May. I tried making a Peter Parker skin, and it turned out ok. Not great, but usable. But there's no way I could make a decent Jameson.
Anyone knows where I could find these?
Here's the Peter I made.

rfreixo

I'm experiencing a problem that I haven't been able to fix. Whenever two custom characters that use the same character.nif file but different skins are in the game, only one of them ( usually the Standard skin ) has the proper animations. The others only stand still, walking without moving the legs, attacking while with the Idle animation... and when the Standard character does anything, they repeat its animation, even if they aren't doing anything.
This doesn't occur with inbuilt characters ( like thug_with_bat ), only customs. Any ideas?

hoss20

There's a tutorial here: http://frp.unlimited2.net/ghosting-mesh-tutorial/

...and also one here: http://www.tommyboymeshes.freedomforceforever.com/

There's a link under the "Other" section on Tommyboy's site.

rfreixo

Yeah, that fixed it! Thanks!

jeremy355

Skin looks good. Can't wait to play the finished product.

Previsionary

Heeeeey, a new modder. Welcome to the fold, rfreixo! I hope you find modding as fulfilling and frustrating as the rest of us that took that leap. As one of the LAST remaining python coders, if you need help, I'll try to give you a hand (although don't expect quick responses from me, as I'm busier than a bee in the spring and take many leaves of absences from this place). I did a series of tips and tricks on FRP2 and also linked to my own tutorial I wrote several years back. You can find that here: CLICK

As for skins, I don't believe there are any skins for JJJ or Aunt May, unfortunately. There aren't many "civilian" skins, so you might have to get those done yourself or hope a kind skinner takes on your request. There is, however, a MJ skin out there made by Detourne_Me for my Spider-man mod. I don't think it's available outside the mod though.

The ghosting issue you're describing only happens with meshes made for FF1. The conversion there wasn't 100%, unfortunately.
Disappear when you least expe--

rfreixo

Thanks Previsionary! I'm trying the best I can with civilian and secret identity skins, but I'm not very good at it. So, I'll post some screenshots of the mod - it's not like you don't know the game engine already, but hey, why not?

Spoiler

Spider-Man VS The Thing

The Sandman

School library - Peter Parker, Flash Thompson, and extras

Spider-Man and the Black Cat take on some thugs

Battle in Mr. Mechanical's... I mean, Mr. Fantastic's lab

Peter Parker meets Matt Murdock

Spider's skin by AfghanAnt.

spydermann93

Looks great, man!

I'm really looking forward to this mod :D

TonmaFan

It looks fantastic! Really looking forward to it :D
I have a Yahoo group now, click here!

BentonGrey

Man, this looks like a blast!  You've already made a ton of progress.  Your skins for the civilians look really good, Rf, and it looks like you've put a lot of work into this already.  I can't wait to try it out!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Amazo Version 2.2

spider-man vs the f4. this looks to be fun.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

oldmanwinters

I had a good time with Previsionary's old Spider-man: The Webs that Bind mod.  It had a pretty cerebral plot and featured a surprise final battle with Mary Jane transforming into a fiery goddess.

I look forward to a new take on the Spidey universe!

rfreixo

Just a quick preview of some bad dudes  :D If anyone recognizes them, I'll consider it a job well done.

But the middle guy's helmet insists on being pink during actual game play, but looks fine on CTool.

BentonGrey

Quote from: rfreixo on April 18, 2012, 03:03:25 AM
Just a quick preview of some bad dudes  :D If anyone recognizes them, I'll consider it a job well done.

But the middle guy's helmet insists on being pink during actual game play, but looks fine on CTool.

Hmm...I don't recognize these fellows, but my Marvel-fu is not as good as my DC-fu. 

Rf, the pink thing is PROBABLY being caused by FF2 being a bit weird.  It doesn't really like .TGA skins, and occasionally it will just decide that it's had enough and some .TGAs will start showing up as pink.  Restarting will refresh everything and fix it temporarily, or you could convert the files to .DDS format, which should solve the problem.
God Bless

devilance

I recognize those guys! 

Podmark

I thought they might be members of the Circus of Crime but I really wasn't sure.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

I was thinking those guys looked like acrobats, but the cannonball threw me off...

You know, there is a Bulleteer mesh that would be pefect for him.
God Bless

rfreixo

I used tommyboy's versatile mesh for the Cannonball, and that was the best helmet I could find for him. Know where I could find that mesh, BG?

devilance

Benton, I think you are thinking of Saracen's Bulletman mesh, which is available over at Alex's Freedom Fortress. The Bulleteer was skoped by detourne_me, but she is a female character. However, Saracen would have to be contacted personally for permission to use his mesh in a mod, according to the read me file.

President Raygun

Zuludelta did most of the Circus (or all of them iirc) so you have some options

hoss20

Human Cannonball and the Great Gambonnos are here: http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/Data_Back_Up_Part_3/ (there are also a couple of Enforcers there as well for old school Spidey) and, of course, Tommyboy has the Ringleader.

BentonGrey

Ahh, that's what I meant DL, thanks.  I suppose it's moot since Saracen's meshes are permission only for mods, but it looks like ZD's work will solve that problem.
God Bless

rfreixo

So I went ahead and made an Aunt May on a civilian female mesh.

I think she looks too young.

Cyber Burn

Very nice facial work. I'd say go with it.

rfreixo

OK, I have the first 4 missions ready (sort of - still some small things to fix, but I'll get back to that later), with two storylines completed.
Anyone willing to give it a try? Any opinions are welcome. It would be good to know what I did right and wrong.
The files are 120 MB.