News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Question about Sorcery dps

Started by captmorgan72, May 02, 2012, 06:59:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captmorgan72

My lvl 30 character is a sorcery healer with almost all healer gear. I was growing tired of having virtually no offensive power at all. I wanted to switch to dps for a bit but when I respeced and tried, my offensive power was very weak and I dropped very quickly in battle. Any advice on a good dps skill/power setup or is it not possible with healer gear?

Magnificent

You should pick one path and focus on it.  In this game, if you try to do both DPS and your role you will end up doing both poorly (until you get 100+ skill points).

One thing you can do though is have a set of gear for DPS and a set for healing.  With mods, the dps gear will allow you to do some good damage when in dps mode.  I wish I had some advice on power choices, but since I play a tank...:-\

You should ask this on SOE's forum, you'll get lots of good info there :-)

captmorgan72

I tried dps and was absolutely terrible at it. I did minimum damage and died very quickly. I tried out many different loadouts that I read about, but my gear is healer based so I suppose that is a big reason why is wasn't working. Just to give you an idea how much of an epic fail it was, I was wiped three times before beating Poison Ivy. When I switched back to pure healer, I defeated her and her goons without breaking a sweat. I use hand blasters as my weapon and ALWAYS have a watcher summoned. My restoration is an even 1000 right now. It's almost like I am a tank, I can absorb huge damage because between me and my watcher, I regen the damage almost as fast as I take it. The only problem is my hand blasters, even with weapon of destiny, do at the most 125 damage at critical. So it takes me awhile to kill tough npcs, with my pea shooters.

BigAl1775

Sorc is great dps, for the record. Having dps gear would make a big improvement. At 30, if you have enough renown with the factions, you can buy some pretty decent dps gear for 8 marks of triumph.
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)

captmorgan72

Ok, I guess its a trade off, I bought a complete set of armor from the Sentinels of Magic, of whom I have cooperation renown with. The armor boosts precision, might and some defense but massively depletes everything else. I will try it out later tonight and see how much of a difference it makes.

bat1987

Quote from: captmorgan72 on May 02, 2012, 09:56:18 PM
Ok, I guess its a trade off, I bought a complete set of armor from the Sentinels of Magic, of whom I have cooperation renown with. The armor boosts precision, might and some defense but massively depletes everything else. I will try it out later tonight and see how much of a difference it makes.

Precision and might are most important stats for dps.

BigAl1775

Quote from: captmorgan72 on May 02, 2012, 09:56:18 PM
May not be the trade off you like, but imagine how us dps feel when we can get 2 shot from enemies without a healer near us. :P You will notice you hit harder but yes, you will take hits to any heal stats you love.

captmorgan72

Wow, I feel like I'm 75% weaker now. :lol: Really, I can only last a fraction as long in a fight as I can as a healer. I do notice that I am hitting harder but not that much harder, where it is worth losing that regen ability. I find that I am getting knocked out at least four times before I finish a mission. I have absolutely no idea why people are saying that sorcery dps is powerful. I find that sorcery healer is far far more powerful. Maybe we can't hit as hard, but we can survive being attacked by a huge mob, were a sorcery dps (at least from what I am experiencing) will get utterly destroyed in seconds. Going to experiment some more but if it keeps feeling like I am Superman wearing a Kryptonite ring, then I am respecing back. This does have me wondering if sorcery healers can destroy sorcery dps guys in pvp.

Ok, I am starting to see the power of sorcery dps after playing for several hours. I had to learn to play like a dpser instead of a healer, like I am used too. Its all about blocking/rolling and making damn sure you know where the health barrels are located before you attack anything. I am now able to kill my targets pretty damn quick which is a nice change from the whittling I have to do as a healer. Going to have fun with this for a bit.

BigAl1775

Weapon of destiny, circle of(whatever its called now), boon of souls, and a few other little things are your best friends as sorc dps. Drop circle, hit weapon and have at it!