News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

3D Heroes Fun

Started by John Jr., May 26, 2012, 04:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Jr.

I'm still playing around with 3D programs like Poser and Daz Studios.

I really liked this one, the lighting took me some time, but it's decent.
The costume is a free item from a talented guy called Uzilite.

Previsionary

JJ!

Superboy looks cool. I hope you keep it up and show off more 3d images.
Disappear when you least expe--

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Previsionary on May 26, 2012, 04:59:02 AM
JJ!

Superboy looks cool. I hope you keep it up and show off more 3d images.

Agreed, though I do miss your FF stuff.

John Jr.

Thanks, guys!
I posted this one earlier at TOF:

Cap's costume and shield by Joequick.

CB,
I'm starting to get back to skoping and skinning, like you can see here:
http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=52667.240

Deaths Jester

Get much better, JJ...really like the look on Superboy...the lighting on Cap is the only prob I have, think it reflection might be a bit to high is the problem...not usre though becuase I haven't played around with Joequick's Cap costume much.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

John Jr.

Thanks, DJ! I'm glad you liked Superboy.
Joe made a special reflection file to give Cap's scale's a more metallic look, so this part is supposed to look different. If anything else is too "shiny" I did something wrong.

John Jr.

This one is just a test render for the textures. Since I just skinned "Young Superman" (from Grant Morison's Action Comics) I decided make the guy in 3D too. I made only the textures for the shirt and cape (and I just noticed I have to change the cape texture...).

martialstorm

Gold John, the first Superboy is especially iconic with the new 52 Superman an excellent contrast with his being more an outsider as is the case in the comics. Top work on Cap as well!

John Jr.

Thanks, martialstorm. I'm very glad you liked my renders.

naitvalis

wow  Jhon! absooolutely niiice superboy in the space!the pose, the expression of the face he look happy and free! a young kryptonian wich discover his powers. :thumbup:

for cap: i don't like to much the pose and the textures of the chainmail.

John Jr.

I'm very glad you liked Superboy, naitvalis. Yeah, I was trying to get a "joy of flying" mood on this one, I'm happy it worked.
And I'm sorry Cap was not of your liking, the textures are from the suit creator, Joequick and they are pretty good IMHO, but the pose is kinda of uninspired. Sorry.

John Jr.

Did the hunter became the prey?
Batman costume and props by Joequick, I just made the textures for his costume.

Deaths Jester

Two things that bother me about this pic...

1) Joker is SOOO white!  Bit creepy, but that can be changed with a little bit of texturing work.  Try pulling up M4's base skin and working the face area in Photoshop..making sure to get a realistic look.  Just a suggestion there actually.

2) Lighting!  It's a bit flat...but that takes time and practice to get used to getting right..so just keep at it, JJ.

Otherwise, great pic!!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

John Jr.

Thanks for the feedback, DJ.
Any suggestions for the lighting? I used a "night" pre-set, what I should have changed?

hoss20

Looking at the highlights on Batman's costume, it appears that the light source could be coming from the ground out in front of him (especially, the mask and the ears). I think for being an alley, there's just too much light in general. If you could perhaps use a light source coming from either the upper right or upper left, it might make a difference. You could even try a soft light source coming from above and behind the characters to add more shadows (of course, then everyone will wonder how Batman doesn't see the Joker's shadow).

Personally, I love the Joker's face, but I actually think that it's the lighting that may be washing out some of the details that DJ was calling for. All in all I like the pic, I just think some shadows would really add to the mood you're trying to capture.

I was looking at getting back into Poser/DAZ myself, so I keep checking back here on what you guys have done.

John Jr.

Thanks for the tips, hoss. I know lighting is my weak point, so I tried a pre-set.  I'll remake Joker's skin textures and I'll try to get a better lighting next time.

cmdrkoenig67

JJ, I like the Superboy one the best...He looks happy, as he should.

Dana

Cyber Burn

I actually really like the Joker, but the colors on the Bat's belt seem off to me, almost a yellow/green?

John Jr.

Thanks, Dana! I tried to get a "young and carefree" spirit on that render. I'm glad you liked it.
CB,
I'll try a different shade of yellow next time to the pouches (I suppose the buckle is ok).

John Jr.

Since we talked so  much about Superboy, I thought could be cool to render his pretty cousin too.
Daz + Photoshop.
Costume by Terry McG, I just edited some textures.

John Jr.

Teen Titans/Young Justice

I made the textures for Conner and Cassie's t-shirts and Tim's costume.

naitvalis

hey Jhon! is really nice to see your 3d art evolving and improve, now if i can leave a little comment about your last work.
I really enjoy this picture (especially superboy and cassie), i see there the wise choise of the poses, the attention in the expressions of the faces...and i abosolutely love the movement in Cassie body and hairs.
But there are few choices wich don't meet completely my tastes.

1- the sky: look dirty, is a very heavy industrial zone? is night? whatever it looks too much in contrast with the happy expression of Conner and Cassie. I know the choice is a matter of tastes, but i see there better a sunset, or a clear night with a beautiful glowing moon...

2- something in the costume of robin still not persuade me, maybe is the fact wich look in a way too "clean" or have too much reflection, wich give him a plastique toy-look, even the cape look a little copy-pasted.

I hope this comments can help you in someway as a constructive critique, keep up the good work Jhon! :thumbup:

John Jr.

Thank you so much for commenting, naitvalis. Your feedback is very useful, as always.
-Yes it's night, Bat-people don't like the sunlight  ;) The sky texture is Daz "night" take for their Skydome.
I wanted to show the contrast between Tm's "serious hero" mood and the young couple carefree attitude (they're young, they're in love and they don't know Scott Lobdell yet...)
-I wanted Tim's costume be "shinier" than Conner and Cassie's to show it's not cloth. So I used a cloth pattern on Conner and Cassie's tees and a leather one on Tim's. Unfortunately the leather texture isn't visible from that distance. I can change the texture and make it less shiny, of course.

John Jr.

Do you think Benton would like this one?

spydermann93

hoss20

That is really beautiful, John.

Of course, the subject matter is horrendous. (blatant jab at Benton  :P )

John Jr.

Quote from: hoss20 on May 06, 2014, 08:52:58 PM
That is really beautiful, John.

Of course, the subject matter is horrendous. (blatant jab at Benton  :P )

You're so mean :)
Thanks to both of you for the kind words.

MJB

Very cool stuff, John Jr!

John Jr.

John Jr.

Long Live the Legion!
Items by Daz, Joe Quick and RamWolf, textures by myself.
Daz + Photoshop