Nickelodeon's TMNT

Started by Previsionary, June 21, 2012, 04:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

I can relate on that end Xstream... I've already watched this last episode 3 times because of our two year old.

But yeah, lots of shenanigans this last episode.
Spoiler
Return of April's father, lots of new revelations about the Kraang, the Origins of Dogpound and Fishface, AND the first fight between the Turtles and Shredder himself.

Podmark

One thing that bugged me:
Spoiler

I didn't like how Kirby O'Neil did the heroic sacrifice and was recaptured. Specifically I didn't think the scenario was good enough, it seemed like something the Turtles could have easily dealt with. I hope they don't try to have April's dad captured until the end of the show, not expecting it but if it does go that way I'll be very disappointed.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Spoiler
they could have dealt with it up until the point where mr o'neil was an idiot and leapt into the middle of the kraang. It was a dumb plot point, but it was also too early to have him escape... I doubt that will happen until the end of the season.

Tomato

For those not in the loop, new episodes of TMNT start again this Friday, This weeks introduces their version of Rat King, who looks more than a little creepy.

As a toy collector, I can tell you that the series has actually done really well (at least here in the states), because not only has every toy store in the area been mostly sold out of turtle merchandise, the sheer wealth of characters coming out this year is going to end up putting holes in my wallet larger then any other toy line... and I'm including Club IE in that statement.

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Tomato on January 22, 2013, 09:55:37 PM

As a toy collector, I can tell you that the series has actually done really well (at least here in the states), because not only has every toy store in the area been mostly sold out of turtle merchandise, the sheer wealth of characters coming out this year is going to end up putting holes in my wallet larger then any other toy line... and I'm including Club IE in that statement.

TMNT has always had the edge over most action cartoon shows when it comes to toy sales (at least early on in the line).  That's great reason to hope that the Nick series can have a long multi-season run.

Tomato

Well, I know they're good through at least season 2, so As long as they can keep up the momentum, the series should be fine.

In other news, what did ya'll think of Rat King?

BentonGrey

Well, the Rat King has always been one of my favorite TMNT villains...heck, he's one of my favorite TMNT characters, period.  I was looking forward to this episode with a mix of excitement and trepidation.  It turns out that the trepidation was portentous.  I was hugely disappointed in the Rat King.  The episode itself was decent, but the Rat King was a big let-down for me.  He's a poor man's Phantom of the Opera.  Heck, he looks more like a Jesuit than a supervillain.  His origin was...well, also something of a disappointment.  I've always like the mystery shrouded origin of the 'ol boy.  I could have come around on that if his appearance had been a little more impressive and/or classic.  While I love the voice work of the fellow they had play him, (he made an amazing Question, after all) I didn't really feel like he was a good voice for the Rat King.  It's something of a waste of an amazing voice actor, if you ask me.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

detourne_me

I agree with BG, he was a bit too different for my tastes, the new Leatherhead was pretty good though.

One cool thing about the new rat King was the sound of his teeth chattering when he talked.  a nice attention to detail there.

Tomato

I guess I can kind of see where you're coming from. I thought he was a decent villain, and I was surprised that he was the same evil scientist who appeared in Monkey Business. It's actually part of the reason I love this series... they've clearly been taking their time to slowly build up the different members of the turtles' rogues gallery. Dogpound and Fishface, for example, were both built up as human characters for 3 episodes BEFORE getting turned into Mutants, despite that always being the direction those two were intended to go.

That said, I loved the episode primarily because it focused on Splinter. He's been my favorite since the series started, so any episode with him in it is a plus for me.

oldmanwinters

The next episode premieres Friday night at 7 ET!

Karai will make her much anticipated debut!

Tomato

Quote from: oldmanwinters on February 01, 2013, 03:57:57 AM

Spoiler
Miwa will make her much anticipated debut!

Fixed >P

Previsionary

Wait, the show now premiers on Friday? Oi vey!
Disappear when you least expe--

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Tomato on February 01, 2013, 04:43:46 AM
Quote from: oldmanwinters on February 01, 2013, 03:57:57 AM

Spoiler
Miwa will make her much anticipated debut!

Fixed >P

Touche, 'Mato.

deano_ue

the series is enjoyable dark tone but not uber gritty

toy wise i only picked up the 4 turtles classics(superb toys i'd recommend them to anyone) would love the just announced beebop and rocksteady but again like MOTUC space and cost are major problems

Podmark

Hmm...

Spoiler

As a big fan of Karai from the last show, I'm not really liking her new design. Really excited about seeing her debut though.
I'm quite sure Tomato is right on the money. Really the pre-season press pretty much gave it away.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Now THAT was a good episode!  If the entire show was of this quality, I'd be a big fan.  The only weak points involved pretty much every other line of dialog that Michelangelo spoke and the old problem of Snake Weed's awful name and less than stellar design.  I can understand if some folks aren't fans of the new addition's look, but it doesn't bother me.  I understand that this is likely a big departure for this character in terms of interpretation, but since I wasn't very familiar with her, that didn't shake me.  The episode itself though was just plain well done.  The focus on the cost of leadership was really good, and I loved Raph's moment of clarity, and his realization at the end:
Spoiler
"I have no problem risking my life, but risking my brother's lives....that's something else."
I thought that captured things rather nicely, as it isn't a lack of ability for him, it's a lack of patience and faith in his choices.

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

oldmanwinters

Quote from: BentonGrey on February 03, 2013, 09:36:34 PM
The episode itself though was just plain well done.  The focus on the cost of leadership was really good, and I loved Raph's moment of clarity, and his realization at the end:
Spoiler
"I have no problem risking my life, but risking my brother's lives....that's something else."
I thought that captured things rather nicely, as it isn't a lack of ability for him, it's a lack of patience and faith in his choices.

I  believe this episode was the single best character study as to why Raphael shouldn't be the leader of the TMNT.  Other incarnations have made much of his volatile temper, but other than that there's never been a good argument as to why he wouldn't be capable of organizing missions and battle strategies.  But the Nick show really got the heart of the issue like nothing else has been able to... summarized nicely in that particular line of dialogue Benton quoted.  Raphael's temper isn't what ultimately inhibits his leadership qualities; rather it's the fact that he values the people he loves more than himself and thus he wouldn't ever force them into taking a risk that he himself wouldn't hesitate to take.  It's one thing to throw caution to the wind and barge head first into danger and near-certain doom, but it's quite another thing to tell somebody else to do the same thing.

This show has been on a roll with character development.

Tomato

Now THAT was a good episode!  If the entire show was of this quality, I'd be a big fan.  The only weak points involved pretty much every other line of dialog that Michelangelo spoke and the old problem of Snake Weed's awful name and less than stellar design.  I can understand if some folks aren't fans of the new addition's look, but it doesn't bother me.  I understand that this is likely a big departure for this character in terms of interpretation, but since I wasn't very familiar with her, that didn't shake me.  The episode itself though was just plain well done.  The focus on the cost of leadership was really good, and I loved Raph's moment of clarity, and his realization at the end:
Spoiler

From what I understand, Kurai is not that big a departure. Yeah, her secret identity is a new twist on it, but from what I've read about her she's almost always shredder's second in command/successor and she usually forms a weird ally/enemy relationship with the four turtles.

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Tomato on February 05, 2013, 07:54:40 AM
Spoiler

From what I understand, Kurai is not that big a departure. Yeah, her secret identity is a new twist on it, but from what I've read about her she's almost always shredder's second in command/successor and she usually forms a weird ally/enemy relationship with the four turtles.

I think the 4Kids cartoon show was the first continuity to portray her as Shredder's daughter/2nd-in-Command.  In her original appearance in the City at War storyline, she was actually the leader of the Japanese Foot Clan, which viewed Oroku Saki as an extremist obsessed with personal vendetta.  She arrived in New York to try and bring order to the chaos that had ensued after Shredder's death (well... two deaths, actually).  At that point in the Mirage Comics, she even had an adult daughter, which suggests she might have actually been Saki's senior:
http://tmntentity.blogspot.com/2013/02/tmnt-vol-1-58.html

Her second appearance came in the form of Konami's TMNT Tournament Fighter 1993 video games for SNES and Sega Genesis.  In both games, she is the final boss of the Story Mode, again suggesting her independence from and superiority in rank over Shredder.

After the 4Kids adaptation of City at War, however, she's been almost universally portrayed as Saki's "adopted" daughter and loyal subservient.

oldmanwinters

The next new episode "The Alien Agenda" premieres tonight!

And no, that's not a reference to the first draft of the Michael Bay produced TMNT film! :doh:

Rather, April O'Neil may be having some disciplinary problems at school!
http://www.comicsalliance.com/2013/02/06/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-the-alien-agenda-clip-cassandra-peterson/

Tomato

Nick just renewed TMNT for a third season.

In less awesome news, the VA for The Krang was announced some time back. *shudder*

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Tomato on February 28, 2013, 04:29:49 PM
Nick just renewed TMNT for a third season.

Hoo-ray!

Quote from: Tomato on February 28, 2013, 04:29:49 PM
In less awesome news, the VA for The Krang was announced some time back. *shudder*

Oboy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ls1YVhcLD2c

Tomato

Lots of interesting plot twists happened in this weeks episode, but I'm going to bypass that for right now... Did anyone else notice the quality jump? I don't know if it's been in the last few episodes too (I've been watching it low def the last few weeks), but this last episode was noticeably different from the episodes midway into the season. I don't think it's that the models were any different, but the rendering on them was much more fluid and smooth somehow.

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Tomato on March 02, 2013, 08:27:43 PM
Lots of interesting plot twists happened in this weeks episode, but I'm going to bypass that for right now... Did anyone else notice the quality jump? I don't know if it's been in the last few episodes too (I've been watching it low def the last few weeks), but this last episode was noticeably different from the episodes midway into the season. I don't think it's that the models were any different, but the rendering on them was much more fluid and smooth somehow.

I was especially impressed with they animated Michelangelo retracting fully into his shell and then popping out to do some creative fighting.  As far as I know, we've never seen any of the turtles pull off that move in their animated history.

deano_ue

ok going on record here, if they pull a twist ala shredder then i will be severely ticked off

oldmanwinters

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on March 05, 2013, 01:16:37 PM
ok going on record here, if they pull a twist ala shredder then i will be severely ticked off

Are you referencing the twist on his identity seen in the 4Kids show?

deano_ue

yes, yes i am. i'd still love to meet the moron that came up with that fart nugget

Silver Shocker

That would be Peter Laird, the co-creator of TMNT.  And the reason was so people familiar with the original lore could still be surprised by the show's plot.

Spoiler
The reason why I like it beyond his reason was that it gives a way for the otherwise street-level Shredder to stand alongside the original canon's other major villains, such as the Triceratons and Savanti Romero by making him a mass murderer who'd been confirmed to have caused the deaths of millions.  And many of the fantastic later storylines, such as the Ninja Tribunal and the stuff with Bishop, probably wouldn't have happened if not for that twist. So yeah, I stand by it.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

deano_ue

nope sorry still dont buy the reasoning.

its takes a character that has already been established over many many different forms of media as the big bad that could easily hold his own with the other villains, due to his high intellect, experience with both mysticism and technology let alone a personal world spanning army of mutants and ninja warriors all to flush it away to get a reaction of of fans. ohh ohh lets stick an alien in his belly.

dont dress it up thats all the utrom shredder was something that they knew would get a reaction and went with it.

as for making him have an impact over the history, idw has done this perfectly with keeping the character true to his roots and simply adding the idea of reincarnation and destiny of a feud

oldmanwinters

Quote from: Silver Shocker on March 16, 2013, 05:28:09 PM
That would be Peter Laird, the co-creator of TMNT.  And the reason was so people familiar with the original lore could still be surprised by the show's plot.

Spoiler
The reason why I like it beyond his reason was that it gives a way for the otherwise street-level Shredder to stand alongside the original canon's other major villains, such as the Triceratons and Savanti Romero by making him a mass murderer who'd been confirmed to have caused the deaths of millions.  And many of the fantastic later storylines, such as the Ninja Tribunal and the stuff with Bishop, probably wouldn't have happened if not for that twist. So yeah, I stand by it.

That was a very controversial decision, as evidenced by the various fan opinions.  I applaud Laird and the 4Kids team for taking such a risk with a character so popular as Shredder, and I think it worked very well for the overall mythology of that particular show.

The real treat was that this decision allowed the show to get away with showing Leonardo behead the Shredder during their climatic showdown at the end of Return to New York.  None of us fans ever thought that bit from the comics was going to get adapted into the show.  I remember being half asleep on that Saturday morning a decade ago watching this episode (the arc had kinda dragged on too long in my opinion), but when I saw that scene... man, I was shocked... SHOCKED! (to quote Claude Rains's character from Casablanca).

The biggest downside to that plot twist, in my opinion, is that the reveal quickly turned the Shredder into a joke, a character that could no longer be truly feared because you knew he was just a squid in a robot suit.  I think Laird and the 4Kids creative team hoped to use this fact to their advantage and try to prove to the audience that the TMNT didn't need Shredder looming around as the Big Bad every week.  They even aspired to remove him completely from the show at the end of Season 3.  But I think the later seasons of the show prove just how difficult that task can be.  The show (much like the old Mirage Comics) struggled to find its new post-Shredder Big Bad and eventually they started reintroducing new versions of Shredder: Karai Shredder, Tengu Shredder, Cyber Shredder, and even Sh'Okanabo's armor bore a little resemblance to the Shredder suit during the Fast Forward season.  I guess the Nick & IDW series will try their hand at having Shredder around without making him the sole Big Bad every week.  We shall have to wait and see how it works out.