Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Seasons Greetings!

Author Topic: The Dark Knight Rises!  (Read 2487 times)

Offline detourne_me

• Manipulator of mental motion sickness
    • Force of Paradox!
The Dark Knight Rises!
« on: July 19, 2012, 07:56:23 AM »
Well, just got out of the theater.
I think it's a given that this film is a must-see.
No spoilers here, but the third act of the film was just spectacular.

I'm just bummed that being in Korea, although I get to watch the movie before the US, I get shafted by not having the Man of Steel trailer.
The same with the missing shwarma scene from the Avengers

Offline captmorgan72

Re: The Dark Knight Rises!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:47:49 PM »
So wait a minute...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 03:51:02 PM by captmorgan72 »

Offline detourne_me

• Force of Paradox!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 04:19:44 AM »

Or if you don't want to read the spoiler. Don't worry. Tom Hardy (Bane) is a beast of a man

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 08:07:13 AM »
Yeah, wasn't really that impressed.

Other than that it wasn't too bad.

Offline Figure Fan

• It Figures ;-)
    • Figure Fan's FFvsTR Skins!
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 08:18:04 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what to make of it yet. It was good enough, but not great. Bane wasn't all that compelling of a revolutionary figure/antagonist, at least not to me.

Offline detourne_me

• Force of Paradox!
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 10:13:50 AM »
Just saw a good review where they say The Dark Knight is like a crush you fall in love with immediately while Rises is like a girl you grow to love, realizing she was the one all along.... well maybe not for you Shogunn.

ugh i want to see it again... and avengers.  and all the lead up movies from both companies!

Offline JeyNyce

• TEKMASTER
  • Moderators
  • Respect the TEK
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »
First off the movie was great.  It was a nice was to end the trilogy.  I had my doubts about Bane, but I was so wrong.  I liked him a lot in this movie.  Catwoman wasn't bad either and she looked really hot in the outfit.

Shogunn I think you missed on a few things:

For anybody else who saw the movie: 

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Offline oldmanwinters

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:51:31 AM »
Yeah, wasn't really that impressed.

Ha!  But I loved all of those parts!   Uh... outside of the "looked like my ex" bit. :P

I know there have been some reviewers complaining about how long the movie was, but nothing in the film struck me as "filler." 

Just to help me understand your critique of the movie, what would you say were the 45 unnecessary minutes?

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
  • Evil is afoot! No, the whole leg!
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »
I, for one, loved it. I didn't even notice it was so long.
I also thought it makes the first movie so much better. When Dark Knight came out I thought it made the first one seem weak by comparison, but this one brings it back full circle and makes Dark Knight, to me, seem like a little bit of fan pandering filler. I mean, it's still awesome, but gee whiz.

On the other hand I also found this movie pretty darn predictable, but I read a study somewhere that says that human brains apparently love getting guesses correct, so maybe that's why I loved it?

Offline style

• The Ultimate Fan!
  • Calender
  • The Ultimate Fan!
    • http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/Styles_skopes/
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 05:10:26 AM »
The Ultimate Fan!

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 07:13:46 AM »
Just got home from seeing...man oh man! I thought everything was excellent!

Offline deano_ue

• the online portfolio of dean irvine
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 10:52:49 PM »
Just seen it, and truthfully if you are one of the Nolan fans who want nothing but for everyone to praise this film and worship at nolans feet then skip this post, I donít need to deal with that. I have always loved the Nolan bat films(may not have liked fans) but the films are something Iíve always enjoyed

Ok first and foremost the film is a decent film, decent but in no way the epic masterpiece its being made out to be or even a brilliant comic book film. The story wasnít bad and had an interesting arc and the acting on some characters was quite enjoyable

The film is a alright film, but and I know this will do nothing but make me enemies with people here but its no way as good as the avengers and Iím an avid dc comics fans over marvel.  the third film syndrome strikes again. Just a poor conclusion to the trilogy. Nolan really seemed to get it in, the dark knight. But this film really seemed like the message was its my universe and to hell with whatís expected from anyone else. And Iíll mess with the ideas all I want. Yeah I know my opinion will not make me any friends but thatís all it is one batman fans opinion

I had avoided spoilers and literally knew very little about this film going in but even as I write this Iím having trouble even remembering a lot about this film and I never thought Iíd say this about a Nolan batman film.

Itís a low 2 Ĺ outta 5 for me at best

Offline oldmanwinters

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 11:09:54 PM by oldmanwinters »

Online Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »
Just got back from seeing it and I loved it.
It's not as enjoyable as The Dark Knight, but it felt more satisfying or meaningful.

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline oldmanwinters

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2012, 01:32:16 AM »
Just got back from seeing it and I loved it.
It's not as enjoyable as The Dark Knight, but it felt more satisfying or meaningful.

Offline murs47

• DeviantArt
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2012, 05:28:38 AM »
The film is a alright film, but and I know this will do nothing but make me enemies with people...

It's true. You having a polar opposite opinion on this movie is the equivalent to slapping my mother in the face. I hate you. :rolleyes:

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2012, 07:10:03 AM »
First of all, TUE, I'm with you every step of the way.  You called it right from where I sit and I don't think I could agree with what you said much more.

Shogunn I think you missed on a few things:

Here's the problem:

OLDMANWINTERS,

Offline deano_ue

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2012, 10:20:44 AM »
The film is a alright film, but and I know this will do nothing but make me enemies with people...

It's true. You having a polar opposite opinion on this movie is the equivalent to slapping my mother in the face. I hate you. :rolleyes:

Well to be fair murs I did post that review on a few sites, and one or two have some really crazy nolanites ala rotten tomatoes going to attack any critic who does not give it 10/10 crazy

So that part may not have applied to here :)

Offline JeyNyce

• TEKMASTER
  • Moderators
  • Respect the TEK
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2012, 12:08:07 PM »
I do agree with you Shogunn:

Still, even though the movie is flaw, it's still a good movie.  It not like the fans can go online and start a petition to can the ending.  ;)
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Online Podmark

• meow
    • Hero Force
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2012, 03:39:22 PM »
I do agree with you Shogunn:

Still, even though the movie is flaw, it's still a good movie.

Here's the problem:

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Offline captmorgan72

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2012, 04:22:00 PM »
I totally agree with Podmark with this

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2012, 05:57:22 PM »

Here's the problem:

That reminds me of the time when Batman had to retrain Cassandra on how to fight.  He gave her a CD with every fight discipline A to Z and she started at Aikido really excited by by the next pane she was at Z looking at Batman's image bored to death.  Funny.

That said:
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 05:59:54 PM by Shogunn2517 »

Offline deano_ue

« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2012, 06:14:14 PM »

nope, wb are already talking full reboot to tie into the upcoming justice league concept, which makes the cameo even more pointless

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2012, 06:16:50 PM »
Aside from the gripes mentioned above which I won't mention, my biggest gripe (which I mentioned even before the film came out) is how Anne Hathaway plays Catwoman like a bloody nuetered cat.  She has the chance to deliever the lines with such sexiness but never seems to actually succeed.  that and the way she walks doesn't exactly exude the sexy silkiness Catwoman is supposed to have.  I mean, come on, Catwoman is all about confidence and sexual allure..not whatever Hathaway brought about.

-DJ
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline GogglesPizanno

• Winner of the Indianapolisrock 500
  • I...need another cocktail
    • GPWarehouse
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2012, 07:11:08 PM »
Aside from the gripes mentioned above which I won't mention, my biggest gripe (which I mentioned even before the film came out) is how Anne Hathaway plays Catwoman like a bloody nuetered cat.  She has the chance to deliever the lines with such sexiness but never seems to actually succeed.  that and the way she walks doesn't exactly exude the sexy silkiness Catwoman is supposed to have.  I mean, come on, Catwoman is all about confidence and sexual allure..not whatever Hathaway brought about.

HEATHEN!
While I have gripes and issues with most recent comic movies (this one for sure as well) Anne Hathaway will never be one of them.

Offline Deaths Jester

• Drunken Arse!!
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2012, 07:13:19 PM »

HEATHEN!
While I have gripes and issues with most recent comic movies (this one for sure as well) Anne Hathaway will never be one of them.

As herself, she isn't a problem...as Catwoman she is!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2012, 08:19:26 PM »
Just got back from seeing it, so now I can actually read and respond to y'all's shenanigans.

DJ, you're being silly. While I agree with the statement that she wasn't quite as sexy in the role as Pfeiffer was, she wasn't trying to be... and in many ways, I felt her take on the character was intended to be much more genuine and realistic. If it had risen to the overt sexuality Pfeiffer's take had, it wouldn't have worked within the framework of the film, and would have turned the character into little more then fanboy jack off material. I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually liked Hathaway's Catwoman better because she actually felt like a real human being. And I'm sorry, I'd rather be dealing with a real woman then a purely fan-service whore any day of the week.

That said, I did feel like this film was a bit weaker then it's predecessor. It's nothing overt (Honestly, I felt like the pacing and action was actually much better in this film then in TDK) but it just didn't excite me as much overall. Maybe it's because TDK had my favorite batman villains and TDKR had one of my least favorite (I've never liked the other primary antagonist at all), so I'm not as invested in them as I was in Harvey Dent/Two Face, but even so it still kind of fell a bit flat. Still enjoyed it (more then Spiderman) but I won't be dragging everyone I know to repeated showings either.

Offline Conduit

« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2012, 09:58:22 PM »
I really liked this movie. It wasn't as great as the Dark Knight (what is?), but it's still a really solid film, and a very satisfying end to the trilogy. The writing, directing, acting, etc. were all very good and, while the story felt a bit disjointed, it was paced well enough and kept my interest throughout.

Also,

Offline BWPS

• Poke!
  • Poke!
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2012, 11:22:48 PM »
It's stupid how great this movie is.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Offline bredon7777

• Member of the High Council of Gallifrey
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2012, 01:00:17 AM »
Here's the thing about TDKR: It's a great 6th movie in a series of 6.  The problem is, of course, that its only the third movie.

They needed at least three more movies to properly set up this movie (although, to be fair, one of them could be a Catwoman solo movie. WB, if you're listening:I would watch the CRAP out of an Anne Hathaway solo Catwoman movie, and I pray you were smart enough to put that option in her contract. She was PURR-FECT (Death's Jester, I don't know who you were listening to- her line readings, especially as Catwoman, just dripped with sexiness to me), and you need to wash away the stain of that Halley Berry abomination).

The thing that was the most glaring of course was

That was the biggest thing, but there were other things that would've benefited from given more time and more build up:

But those are minor nitpicks on an otherwise brilliant film. I just wish we could've seen the films that would've set it up properly.

Oh, and shogun:

ETA: Also, WB, I would watch the crap out of a
movie.  As long as you kept the same cast, at any rate. Just so you know.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 01:02:27 AM by bredon7777 »
"I can't wait to hear this guy's monologue. 'I am the Palindrome! Feel my power! Power my feel! Palindrome the am I!' Peter Piping weirdos." - The Middleman