Total Recall

Started by thalaw2, July 29, 2012, 04:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

I just saw the trailer for this and I'm....unimpressed.  For anyone who has seen the original multiple times there is nothing new in the trailer...in fact I think the trailer for the original movie may have been better (probably because it really looked futuristic at that time).  Thoughts?
革命不会被电视转播

JeyNyce

From what I read it's not a total remake of the first movie.  While there will be some thing in common, the story will be different.  He doesn't go to Mars and there's nothing about the air.  They're keeping it basic & simple.  Looking at the trailer it looks good.

http://www.welcometorecall.com/?hs308=TOR6186
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

XStream

I think it has potential. I thought the trailer looked fun. Probably going to wait for it to hit DVD though.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

Cyber Burn

Has anyone seen this yet? Is it worth the watch?

Shogunn2517

Not unless it has Quatto, Johnny Cab, the fat lady with the exploding head and Colin Ferrell perfectly completing the line: "Considder dit da divoooce!"

thalaw2

Early reviews seem good, but I'm still thinking I don't want to go to the theater to see it.  I'm just not excited about the movie.
革命不会被电视转播

Panther_Gunn

Rotten Tomatoes is currently showing it at 30%, *below* Step Up Revolution.
The Best There Is At What I Do......when I have the time.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Panther_Gunn on August 06, 2012, 06:41:04 PM
Rotten Tomatoes is currently showing it at 30%, *below* Step Up Revolution.

Ouch!!!

stumpy

My girlfriend asked, "Why remake that movie? The original was well done and it's not like the special effects don't hold up to today's standards." That's pretty much my feeling, too. There are lots of action movies where I think a remake could add a lot and potentially make the movie watchable to newer audiences who might otherwise be too distracted by cheesy special effects. But not Total Recall, which had no CGI (except for the X-ray machine scene).

I will be curious to hear if they've actually changed something substantial about the movie or if it's just a variation on the plot device (e.g. going to Mars) that gets the main character to question whether his "artificially implanted" fantasy of his life as an action hero is actaully his real life. If they twiddle the plot device but not the underlying premise, then it's basically the same movie. And, if they change the underlying premise of Total Recall, why bother calling it Total Recall?

(I'm not saying there isn't room for a new movie in there somewhere, just that my expectations aren't especially high.)
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg