FXForce closing its doors *and now reopened! See FRP thread!

Started by MikeB7, August 11, 2012, 03:15:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeB7

For a few years, FXForce was my entire world.  I had stopped working only months before and the game, the site and this community allowed me to stay active, creative, productive, helpful - all the things I needed to get through an uncomfortable and uncertain period of my life.  If circumstances were different, I would keep the site active forever.  But disability income only goes so far, and FXForce is an expense I can not justify for another year.  The last update was seven years ago.  SEVEN YEARS, BY GUM!  It's time for me to let go.

I'm forever grateful to Bujin, Cardmaster and DarkMagik for making FXForce a personality on the boards and becoming (to me) genuine friends, not to mention Entwaidamela, Redbackdeath and Xorn for supporting the early days of the site.  Also much gratitude to honorary members for their enthusiasm and creativity - Adclaw, Intensity and the ever-lovin' potato Spud.

I collaborated with just SO many people that trying to assemble a thank-you list would invariably leave someone out and I would feel just as bad or worse than you for the omission.  Just know that all of you who have interacted with me and FXForce will always occupy that rosy happy goosebumpy SUPERFREAKINAWESOME place in my memory.

So basically, the site will be up at least until September.  At that point, I'm going to cancel the auto-renew feature.  It could stay up a few more weeks or they could delete everything immediately, I dunno.  So this is your last chance to get anything from there.

I'll still be around here occasionally and in City of Heroes like every single dingdongday. 

Podmark

Thanks for everything you've done Mike. It was great of you to keep the site up as long as you did.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Previsionary

Thanks for keeping the site alive as long as you have, Mikey. It's very much appreciated!
Disappear when you least expe--

Cyber Burn

FX Force is still a great resource for the community, thanks for keeping it going for so long.

style

Thanks for everything Mr. Mike!
The Ultimate Fan!

Outcast

It's sad to see another Freedom Fan Site go down, but i'm grateful that you've kept the site going for this long. Thank you.

Many thanks to everyone who contributed and shared their stuff in the site as well.

WyldFyre

Thanks for keeping it up as long as you did.  I still remember FX Force as being one of the first FF sites I visited after finding this wonderful game.

I think I have something in my eye. :(
<Feels a tear coming on and turns away.>
For Freedom!

bearded

Quote from: MikeB7 on August 11, 2012, 03:15:21 AM
...and FXForce is an expense I can not justify for another year....
if it is finance, i have a website and server i am paying for with nothing on it. www.brightideagames.com
i don't know how hard it would be to use that server for this, but am willing to donate it.

spydermann93

Thank you for everything you've done, Mike and FXForce Team. Freedom Force would have been nowhere near as complete without you guys and your hard work.

BigD

Mike,
I'm sorry to hear about FXForce closing it's doors for good, but remember the good times you had and what meshes that had come to your site to be downloaded. :( I've been going to FXForce frequently, and I've been enjoying the meshes that I find and download are amazing to me. I know it's hard to say goodbye, but all I can say are three things for you to remember. Time heals all wounds, every cloud has a silver lining, and time marches on. ;) Along with those, I also would like to include a quote from a movie titled Meet the Robinsons if you have not seen it, and I quote "Keep Moving Forward!". Since the FXForce site is closing, I'll see if I can get any last minute and yet final mesh and/or skin downloads done before it's too late. Until then, I wish you the best of luck Mike and I hope you had a good run with the site. Thanks for everything you have given us, and we will never forget the good times we had together. Thanks again for everything Mike, I'm sorry about your site closing for good and I hope you'll find something to keep you busy. :cool:

Signed,
BigD

P.S.  Never forget the good times that you had FXForce and everything, and as always in the words of Minute Man from  :ff: and  :ffvstr:...

"Let's fight for Freedom!" - Minute Man :thumbup:

jocke32

Sad to hear that your closing down, can someone save over the tutorials to somewhere, i am planing on testing fx making someday :P

MikeB7

If anyone wants to put the tutorials or anything I've done on their website, I'm fine with that.  I still have all the files on a backup drive (I *think* all of them).  The htmls might not do any good, those were made manymanymany years ago using MS Word, heh.  And thanks for the kind words, people.   :)

BentonGrey

I have a hard time believing this day has come.  It always seemed like FXForce had always and would always be there.  Mike, your site has been incredibly useful and fun.  It's my go-to resource for so many things.  Even just the visual record it provides of FF1 maps is priceless.  Thank you so much for everything you've done over the years, and thank you for keeping this site going for as long as you have.  Let me add my voice to those asking 'can we don anything?'  It would be a real tragedy to let all of this simply slip away when it is within our power to preserve it.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Reepicheep

Previsionary

Quote from: Reepicheep on August 12, 2012, 08:49:08 PM
What the hell is an FXforce?
oh, this is awkward. Sit down. Reep. I have to tell you something. *deep sigh* FXForce... is your FATHER!

Quote from: MikeB7 on August 12, 2012, 03:54:09 PM
If anyone wants to put the tutorials or anything I've done on their website, I'm fine with that.  I still have all the files on a backup drive (I *think* all of them).  The htmls might not do any good, those were made manymanymany years ago using MS Word, heh.  And thanks for the kind words, people.   :)
FRP2 would love to have said files for our tutorial section!
Disappear when you least expe--

BentonGrey

Quote from: Previsionary on August 12, 2012, 08:59:07 PM
oh, this is awkward. Sit down. Reep. I have to tell you something. *deep sigh* FXForce... is your FATHER!

:Reep: "No, it's not true! It's impossible!!!!"
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Epimethee

Thanks for everything you and everyone collaborating on FX Force have done, Mike.

I hope you accept Bearded's kind offer. It should be as simple as copying every in a new /fxforce/ folder on his site. Also, depending on his hosting options, Bearded may be able to create a subdomain like fxforce.brightideagames.com. If for any reason it doesn't work, let us know, we might be able to come up with something else.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

MikeB7

Quote from: Epimethee on August 13, 2012, 12:18:28 AM
Thanks for everything you and everyone collaborating on FX Force have done, Mike.

I hope you accept Bearded's kind offer. It should be as simple as copying every in a new /fxforce/ folder on his site. Also, depending on his hosting options, Bearded may be able to create a subdomain like fxforce.brightideagames.com. If for any reason it doesn't work, let us know, we might be able to come up with something else.

It's actually a lot more work than that.  In the seven years since I last touched the site, there has been at least one server migration.  All the links would have to be checked.  For example, I went back to look for the first update, and the Previous Updates link was broken.  For the record, the first update was 09/25/02 - almost ten years ago, yikes!  The site has been inactive for over twice as long as it was active.  I really am ready to just let it go.  I don't mind other people hosting stuff from it or even reproducing the entire site - as long as they do all the work.   ;)  On that note - Prev, PM me if you need anything from me.

BentonGrey

Quote from: MikeB7 on August 13, 2012, 01:09:56 AM
Quote from: Epimethee on August 13, 2012, 12:18:28 AM

It's actually a lot more work than that.  In the seven years since I last touched the site, there has been at least one server migration.  All the links would have to be checked.  For example, I went back to look for the first update, and the Previous Updates link was broken.  For the record, the first update was 09/25/02 - almost ten years ago, yikes!  The site has been inactive for over twice as long as it was active.  I really am ready to just let it go.  I don't mind other people hosting stuff from it or even reproducing the entire site - as long as they do all the work.   ;)  On that note - Prev, PM me if you need anything from me.

Haha, I think that can probably be arranged Mike.  Also, while the site may have been inactive, it has not been unused.  I visit it at least once a month for this or that when I am working on FF stuff. :D
God Bless

Epimethee

Quote from: MikeB7 link=topic=55717.msg754002#msg754002
It's actually a lot more work than that.  In the seven years since I last touched the site, there has been at least one server migration.  All the links would have to be checked.  For example, I went back to look for the first update, and the Previous Updates link was broken.
An automatic link checker would probably speed up the process. I could have a go at it.

cmdrkoenig67

I'm sad to hear about FXForce going, but I understand where you're coming from, Mike.  Thank you so much for letting me be a part of FXForce and thank you for hosting my maps.  The site will be missed, even if the content is hosted elsewhere.

Dana

naitvalis

this is really a sad news, i have used FxForce contents for years its a landmark for every ff player, thank you very much Mike.

bearded

i am a website dummy. if one of you wants to do the work, all i need to do is give you the site password and owner login?

Reepicheep

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 12, 2012, 09:04:36 PM
Quote from: Previsionary on August 12, 2012, 08:59:07 PM

:Reep: "No, it's not true! It's impossible!!!!"

I di'n say dat!

Epimethee

Quote from: bearded on August 13, 2012, 05:54:55 PM
i am a website dummy. if one of you wants to do the work, all i need to do is give you the site password and owner login?
Please PM me.

laughing paradox

I'm sad to see FxForce go, as it was, and still is, a primary go-to site for Freedom Force. Hopefully it will still be preserved online, as it holds a lot of great content. Thanks for having it around for so long.

Shaboba

Jeez, that site is like a museum of amazing creations... so many great versatile meshes. I'll miss it.

SickAlice

Very sad to hear, yours is one of THE Freedom Force sites. I wonder if there's a webhost out there that your wonderful site could be transferred to in order to preserve it for the community, and thus save yourself the expense of keeping it open?

lion23dj

It's a bad news! A lot of thanks to FXFORCE's team. (My only hope is that FREEDOM REBORN survives!)  :o