News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

IDW's Transformers Series

Started by XStream, August 13, 2012, 01:03:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XStream

I haven't bought a comic book in years. First it was because we were working on a budget, then it was that I didn't have time with my job and volunteering, next family and finally school. I have worked hard not to be sucked back in. After I played through War For Cybertron I needed more of those robots in disguise. So I bought my first digital comic. Actually I bought the collection of the first three issues of IDW's new ongoing More Than Meets The Eyes (The Death of Optimus Prime came with it). I have to say, I have thoroughly enjoyed the tale and the artwork. I think it is some of the best characterization these bots have received. Then I went and purchased the rest of the series (only four more issues to the most recent) and the first issue of Robots In Disguise.

I read War Within and some of the previous companies TF stories, but i didnt care for their ongoing stuff (or was it all mini-series? I believe I am going to continue buying these series. Anyone else reading them?
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

XStream

Ok, I am going to attempt to nudge conversation about these books because I am obsessed with what IDW is doing with their Transformers books. If you haven't read them they are not G1, but they are IDW's version of G1. Allow me to attempt to catch up to speed.

IDW's Transformers began with a bunch of miniseries that introduced their version of our favorite robots in disguise. In this continuity Cybertron has been inhabitable for millions of years after a great civil war that depleted it of it's resources. That may sound familiar but this is where IDW's stories quickly change. Optimus Prime did not lead a group of Cybertron's greatest warriors on the Ark to find resources. All Cybertronians have left Cybertron and the Autobots are on multiple Arks. Both sides are racing across the cosmos looking for resources, and in some strategic locations (which we learn later to have been seeded by Shockwave) battles of covert chess are going on to secure these resources without invading or disturbing the planets they are plundering.

Some kids (sigh) stumble upon the intergalactic Cold War right before all heck breaks loose. The Decepticons make a play for the Earth's energon substitute and the big guns are called in to retaliate. I have not read any of these mini-series but I have filled in the gaps by using tfwiki.net. There was also a bunch of Spotlight single issue books that added to the backstories (including those for Kup, the Dinobots, Nightbeat, Rodimus and many others)and built the new universe. During all of this there were multiple stories that moved the action to the far reaches of the cosmos. Then there was the All Hail Megatron story that has the Decepticons winning the battle for Earth. After Prime and company come back full force and free the enslaved planet things move back to Cybertron.

A series of events leads Optimus Prime and some of the Autobots to a revived Cybertron to face Galvatron, Cyclonus, and the Sweeps. Check this out; Galvatron is not Megatron and Unicron has not shown up! Galvy and Cyclonus are ancient Cybertronians from before the Great War. I will save you the detail so that you might read the story, but ultimately Cybertron is returned to it's ancient form (like molten metal), the Matrix of Leadership is now empty (but produces a map), a signal is sent to all Cybertronians that the war is over and for them to come home, and our heroes wake up to everything being all crazy.
This is where the new series pick up. Cybertronians from all over the galaxy come home. Autobots and Decepticons are trying to live peacefully although they do not trust one another. And to make things more difficult you have the neutral bots who left when the war began who are upset with both factions for ruining their planet. The two books are Robots in Disguise and More Than Meets the Eye.

Robots in Disguise follow the characters of Bumble Bee who is currently leading the provisionary government, Prowl who has crossed the line numerous times in dealing with the Decepticons on Cybertron, Wheeljack who is beginning to sympathize with the Decepticons, Ironhide who has gone off into the wilderness on a quest to find the missing Arielbots, Starscream who has convinced everyone that he has changed his mind and wants to put in place a fair government (that he will head of course), and Metalhawk a neutral who hates what the war has caused and has be-friended Starscream. There are many, many characters who are important to the book but these are who I feel to be the main characters. Repopulating Cybertron has proven to be difficult and it has been a great book.

More than Meets the Eye is the book following Rodimus and his band of over one hundred bots who are searching for the legendary Knights of Cybertron (long story). They believe the Matrix held a map to the ancient Knights of Cybertron who are believed to be capable of restoring Cybertron. The book also includes Ultra Magnus, Ratchet, Chromedome, Rewind, Cyclonus (yes that one), Drift, Red Alert, Whirl, Skids, Traibreaker, and many more. The quest has had MANY setbacks. This book is my favorite between the two. The small interaction between the many bots on the ship (the Lost Light) is something reminiscent of a show like Firefly.

I know that is a lot of information, but what really makes the books awesome is how small gaps in the story are constantly being filled in. This part will contain spoilers.

The Decepticons were not originally the villains of the Cybertronian civil war. A short line of faux-corrupt Primes lead Cybertron to problems. They wanted to conquer the cosmos. Add to that a corrupt Senate who were enjoying their lavished lifestyles and want to take control of Cybertron for their own benefit and you have a disaster waiting to happen. Pre-war Cybertron is full of racism and class hatred, instigated by those in power. Megatron actually appears as a freedom fighter, and one of his earliest fans is none other that Orion Pax (pre-Prime Optimus).

Spoiler
After the Primes and Senate try to silence Megatron and those who support his cause(s), things become violent. In a recent story we learn that Shockwave was once a Senator who aided Orion Pax in stopping a Senate plot to vilify the Decepticons by blowing up the funeral of the previous Prime (who the Senate had assisanated) and blaming them. After he was found out, they took him to the Institute, removed his personality, removed his hand and head, and made him into the analytical bot that he is today (he later defected to the 'cons cause).

Megatron's brutality and questionable associates escalate things to the point that full blown war breaks out. The Decepticons take over Cybertron, Orion becomes Prime after finding the Matrix, and the millions-of-years-long civil war takes place.
I am truly enjoying these stories and the intricate web of history that is forming. I recommend it as a must read for anyone who enjoys TF stories (unless you can only stomach pure G1).
If anyone is reading them, I would love to chat about the books.

BentonGrey

Hey XStream, are you still reading these?  I started out following this series, but I was disappointed that the quality wasn't really up there with the old Dreamwave books.  Then, when the art changed, I really lost my taste for it.  I've been thinking of picking these up, perhaps digitally.  Are they still good?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

XStream

Benton,

Hmmm.... I answered you a while back, but I am just noticing that my reply didn't post.

Sorry man! I am still loving MTMTE and to a lesser extent RID. MTMTE has been a fun read each and every week, and has managed to shock me on more than one occasion. I have been reading them digitally on my iPhone. Let me know if you have picked them up or decide to. I would love to chat about them sometime.

Podmark

IDW had the first issue of MTMTE on for $1 last week. I got it and it was pretty decent. Pretty much just setup the cast and the basic status quo, but all of the characters felt distinct. Art was good in some spots, not as good as others. The biggest problem, and I've had this problem with other Transformers comics I've read, is that it's hard to keep the characters straight, especially when you first start reading it.
Not planning to pick up any more but I'll keep it in mind.

RID #1 is on for $1 this week. I'll be getting it too.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

XStream

Podmark, I believe it is the characters of MTMTE that keep me coming back each week. Admitedly, there are like 200 bots on board the Lost Light (Transformers, In Space!, but the core characters are mostly second stringers and this has allowed a lot of comedy on the writers part. You really get this sense that Rodimus (don't call him Hot Rod) is happy with this crew because there is no one to overshadow him and he can bask in the spotlight. And yes, this Rodimus is so full of himself that he believes he outshines Ultra Magnus. After all he is destined to be a Prime (Nominus, Optimus, etc. he is quick to point this out).

I did have to use TF wikis when I first started reading. But it is worth it. From the movie nights where the crew watches Rewinds footage to round-table games of "Who's your nemesis?" The book is full of good times. But there is also a lot of drama and suspense. From Sparkeaters (yeah it is a thing), to deadly viruses, to mind wiped crew members, to phase-sixer catastrophe the book is full of big stories and deaths.

You can get the older issues for $2 a pop on comixology and the Transformers app if you want to give them a try. RID has some great stories as well, but MTMTE has been much more consistent in my opinion.

XStream

Just because I am still reading this book, loving every panel of it, and wanted to share how awesome it is!

XStream

MTMTE is by far my favorite read each month. This might be the only comic I am caught up on right now, and I am hoping some of you have decided to give the book a try.

I've decided to post some of my favorite moments in the series (spoiler free), in hopes of encouraging some of you to give it a chance.

So come on, anyone reading TRANSFORMER: MTMTE and want to talk about it?

Silver Shocker

I read the $1 reprints of the two ongoings and really liked those. I have the first volumes of both books but haven't read them yet (I'm still finishing up the latest volumes of TMNT) but I might read them soon. 
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

XStream

Let me know when you do SS. I'd love to hear what you think.

Silver Shocker

Well as $1 dollar reprints,:

-They're probably the ones I've read that most made me want to read more.
-My thoughts on them were similar to Podmark's earlier in the thread
-I found the "crew on a ship in space" premise and political turmoil premise were refreshing for Transformers compared to the many re imaginings of the basic G1 setup. (though I understand there was a lot of power struggles and status quo shakeups in the old Marvel comics too.
-I seem to recall it felt like one of the times where the characters most felt like characters and less like toys with accents and one-note gimmicks (something the cartoons and films sometimes fell into).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

XStream

For me, I rarely read Transformers comics. So the majority of my TF experience has come from the cartoons. I watched G1 growing up, fell in love with Beast Wars, enjoyed Animated, and loved Prime (at least most of it). I didn't start reading IDW's TF stories until the creation of MTMTE and RID. I picked up the first trade containing issues 1-4 and I was hooked. I had to use wikis to fill in some of the storylines, and soon began buying back issues.

I love the characterization of these characters. The writers ability to drop them in terrible situations and still keep things light hearted is just fun to read.

Ultra Magnus is not pleased with the final crew list of the Lost Light.

XStream

One thing about IDW's storyline that really sets it apart is the difference between the Autobots and the Deceptions. Both were started in response to an unjust rule of Cybertron by a corrupt senate and by false Primes. Megatron tried to change things by revolution, while Optimus tried to force a transition of power. It really has turned into a great epic, and we learn a little more about it all the time.

XStream

Just because I realized I haven't posted a shot of pre-war Opti- ..... I mean Orion Pax.

[/URL]

Silver Shocker

If that's Optimus as Orion Pax in the current IDW continuity, I like his design more than the other Orion designs I've seen (G1 and whatever they used for the Generations toy). I always found them a little too plain, though I imagine making him look noticeably different than Prime was the point.
~Rocky Balboa

XStream

IDW's Orion Pax is very different form all of the past versions. Instead of a shipyard worker who is blown up by Decepticons and rebuilt to lead the Autobots, IDW's Orion Pax was no stranger to a fight before the war broke out.  Orion Pax was a lawman who was making a name for himself during the time the Senate was starting to target those who they felt threatened their power, the Prime began his plans to control more power, and Megatron was still a miner writing about freedom.

We've seen quite a bit of Pax's time before the war. He was a brilliant student who excelled as an officer of the law. He was also one of Megatron's biggest fans. The two were very much opposites of themselves back then.  Orion Pax was an intelligent and ruthless lawman who stepped over the line a few times to get the job done, and Megatron was a pacifist miner who tried to incite revolution through writing. It was in fact Orion Pax and Megatron's first encounter with one another (and Whirl...oh, Whirl...) that led to Pax's realization that the Senate was corrupt and Megatron's recognition that revolution would not come by peaceful measures.

JeyNyce

I love the Transformer and from what you're saying it sounds pretty good.   I have to pick this up.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

XStream

Quote from: JeyNyce on February 15, 2015, 01:26:06 PM
I love the Transformer and from what you're saying it sounds pretty good.   I have to pick this up.

:thumbup:Yay! Let me know if you would like some recommendations. IDW has put out quite a few books at this point between the various ongoings and miniseries. If you decide to start moderately current... I would suggest beginning with issue #28 of More Than Meets the Eye. And, I think my favorite story was Shadowplay, MTMTE issues #9-11.

I did start reading through IDW's continuity not to long ago and I used the list found at the bottom of this page; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing). I got to the series All Hail Megatron when my curiosity about the current storyline got the better of me and I started back on MTMTE and RID's current issues.

Rodimus understands how hard it can be to keep up with all of the 'bots aboard the Lost Light.

HarryTrotter

After rewatching Armada(dont judge pls) I was interested in Transformers again,so I decided to start IDWs in chronological order.So far Megatron origin,2 spotlights and a little of Autocracy.And I got to say,its Amazing,mindblowing even.The story and the charachters feel sooo belivable,yet so epic.You really FEEL like a war is going on there.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

XStream

Hey Spade, glad to see another FR member checking out the ol' Robots in Disguise. I really enjoyed Megatron Origins as well. It begins to flesh out IDW's Deception origin, and I think that is one of the things they have done very well.  In past versions you knew there was a 4 million (or so) year long war, but beyond a few high points that is all.  IDW has taken even some of the most boring parts of the Cybertronian War (Like when OP and Megs locked themselves in Holo-rooms to orchastrate the war like a massive chess game) and created fantastic stories and reprecussions from them.  Wait until you start to learn about Megatron's DJD! 

If you are looking to read the Maxi-series in order try this link.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Transformers_(IDW_Publishing)  Quickly scroll past all the spoilers till you see Chronological Comic Order at the bottom.  Happy reading.

HarryTrotter

I got the timeline sorted out. ;)
Autocracy was very powerfull.
"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" getts me every time.Even Thundercracker is given a lott of depth.Now making my way through Mostrosity.
Jon Farmer

XStream

Drift and Ratchet have a discussion on the possibility of a TF god. 

Adaptus is actually an important aspect of the IDW TF series.  The Senate's corruption was possible in part by using the beliefs in "Every form, a function" to segregate Cybertronians and even cull those deemed less worthy or dangerous.

HarryTrotter

I just got to Infiltration/Stormbringer,so there wasnt much explanations about mythology,other then Knights.
Anyway,how did Scorponok survive being eaten by Predacons?
And Reapers from Spotlight:Sixshot do return,right?
Jon Farmer

XStream

Are you asking about from Monstrosity? When Megatron shoots Skorponok in the head and leaves him to be torn apart by the Terrorcons?
Spoiler
I think Megatron orders them to keep him alive so that he will suffer.

And the Reapers,
Spoiler
come back in Escalation looking for Sixshot.

XStream

I just realized this thread could use some more awesome.

HarryTrotter

Yep,thats what I was asking.Im guessing SL:Ultra Magnus happens after monstrosity.For now Iv seen all my favourite Decepticons,and almost every Autobot EVER.It getts hard to keep track of the characters sometimes.Expecialy since the action happens in multiple places at once.
Jon Farmer

XStream

Yeah, SL Ultra Magnus is after Monstrosity. 

IDW is not afraid to pull every single obscure Transformer into the mix, and it can become very confusing.

HarryTrotter

I thing that I liked is that there is always a third side,like Nemesis Prime,Machination,various aliens.
Golam becoming "Cybertron" is something I didnt exactly understand...
For the fun of it lets try to see whos missing up to now: Unicron,Hot Shot,Red Alert,Tidalwave,Demolisher.
Basicly everyone else is here. :)
Jon Farmer

BentonGrey

XS, it seems that the Humble Bundle is offering the recent Transformers comics en mass.  I need a straight assessment.  I'm someone who loves classic, G1 Transformers, and Dreamwave's TF books are some of my all-time favorite comics.  Yet, I dropped the IDW TF series relatively early on, and when I've checked back in from time to time I haven't been impressed.  I was especially put off by the art when it went way off-model around the middle of the series.  So, I've heard lots of good things about these modern books, More than Meets the Eye and Robots in Disguise, but should I buy this bundle?  Are these worth it to me?  What do you think?
https://www.humblebundle.com/books
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

XStream

Benton,

I grew up with Transformers, and they are one of my favorite properties out there. I also enjoyed DW's take on Cybertonian history, but I did not care for the books that were set in present day. I have read MTMTE from issue#1 through issue#37 and I have loved every issue. RID has been good too, but I haven't read an issue since the Dark Cybertron storyline. I loved MTMTE so much that I began buying up back issues to learn more of the story (I can't wait to get to Chaos Theory and The Last Stand of the Wreckers). I know at one point the designs were trying to toe the line between movie-verse and G1, but I haven't gotten that far into the story yet.

Your link doesn't appear to lead where you intended for it to go... So I am not sure what you are looking at purchasing. I can say this, I have bought every digital issue of MTMTE for $1.99 until I caught up and then I paid the $3.99 an issue; and I felt that it has been worth every penny.  I love these characters, the storylines surprise me, I enjoy the melding of the old TF concepts with new twists (Like, the original Thirteen being the first leaders of 13 Cybertronian tribes) and the art for MTMTE has almost always been great.  There are a few fill-in issues along the way, but for the most part I have enjoyed the expressive nature of the art. If you can get this series (and RID too) at less than $1.99 an issue I would say it is well worth it.