News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Marvel Adventures Vol. 2 - New Release!!

Started by BentonGrey, August 14, 2012, 02:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

earl of bronze

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 08, 2017, 05:25:35 AM
Well, I had actually never read the Invader's stories until AFTER I wrote that campaign, other than cameos in books like Avengers.  I actually meant to add Spitfire in afterwards but never got around to it. 

Keep in mind, GoTG is just a mini-campaign.  If there were world enough and time, I'd do a full-length one for them.  I'm hoping that some folks will build on my work and tell some stories with the characters I didn't get to give much attention.

Well GoTG may be a 2 mission campaign but having them fight

Spoiler

MEGALON makes it seem like more. At least to this Godzilla fan.  :D :D :D :thumbup: :thumbup:  :cool:

"Hi Megalon, been a long time, looks like you lost a few hundred thousand tons."

"Err, hi Godzilla you look bigger than ever. This Badoon chow is very slimming."

"Haven't we talked about the whole these human are mine to beat on before?"

"I forgot  ... you are going to step on me now aren't you?"

Godzilla squashes Megalon like a bug.

BentonGrey

Ha!  Yes indeed:

Spoiler
Megalon is actually one of my favorite monster villains.  I have a soft spot for that film with Jet Jaguar.  I thought he looked like something the Badoon might employ.  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BentonGrey

Howdy folks!  First off, what's the word, testers?  Is the FF campaign working properly?

Secondly, I'm making progress.  I've written about a zillion string entries, and I'm getting close to the end.  Watch this space!
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Jimaras8

Benton since i'm stuck and i can't afford to tamper anything with the game maybe i could help you finish faster. Which section of the strings haven't you touched yet?

BentonGrey

Jim, that's a really great offer, but I think I've got it down to a small enough number of entries that I can finish them today, otherwise I would absolutely take you up on it.  The work already done was a big help.
God Bless

Groucho

I am so excited for the release of this! I just re-installed  :ffvstr: and tried to make sure I did it correctly and have been fooling around trying to figure out how everything works again. I have created a few heroes and things seem to be working correctly so far.

Benton I had a question for you if you've got a second and don't mind. I looked at your earlier Marvel Adventures release and found the folder that contains all of the meshes and skins you used for the characters but there are no hero files. So I'm assuming that all of the heroes are built in (which I believe means that the hero files are saved in a dat file somewhere?). If that is the case, what's the benefit of having characters built in versus using hero files? Also is it possible to export a hero recipe (file) from a dat back into a hero file? If you're busy and don't have time to respond I understand. Last thing I want is to hold up the release of MA  :thumbup:.
I don't want to belong to any superhero group that would allow me as a member!

crosspotts1.0

Quote from: Groucho on January 21, 2017, 04:13:33 PM
I am so excited for the release of this! I just re-installed  :ffvstr: and tried to make sure I did it correctly and have been fooling around trying to figure out how everything works again. I have created a few heroes and things seem to be working correctly so far.

Benton I had a question for you if you've got a second and don't mind. I looked at your earlier Marvel Adventures release and found the folder that contains all of the meshes and skins you used for the characters but there are no hero files. So I'm assuming that all of the heroes are built in (which I believe means that the hero files are saved in a dat file somewhere?). If that is the case, what's the benefit of having characters built in versus using hero files? Also is it possible to export a hero recipe (file) from a dat back into a hero file? If you're busy and don't have time to respond I understand. Last thing I want is to hold up the release of MA  :thumbup:.
to this qustion i dont think u can iv been trying but still cant but i dont know much about programing but maybe u can

spydermann93

Quote from: Groucho on January 21, 2017, 04:13:33 PM

I definitely think that having all of the characters in a .dat file definitely makes it really easy to install the mod (self-extraction made simple).  No pesky writing to a user's AppData folder and having to fiddle with admin permissions.

Also, built-in heroes have their character dats based on the their path relative to the mod's base folder (in this case, the MA folder). Built-in characters are also the only ones that can be "forced" into a campaign since missions call on character names from the character.dat (or maybe the object.dat) file. Custom heroes can't be included in the storyline in this way.

Those are the only reasons I can think of off the top of my head. I hope that explains it a bit more. :)

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 20, 2017, 03:15:57 AM
Howdy folks!  First off, what's the word, testers?  Is the FF campaign working properly?

Secondly, I'm making progress.  I've written about a zillion string entries, and I'm getting close to the end.  Watch this space!

D'oh! I forgot to test that! :doh:

My mind has been on other matters lately, but I should hopefully be able to spend some time either tomorrow or Monday night on checking.

Great news on the strings, though! :thumbup:

BentonGrey

No worries, Spyder, and thanks for pitching in!

Groucho, thanks for the interest, and I hope that you'll find my little project worth the wait!  Spyder's explanation covers several of the reasons regarding built-ins, but I'll add that built-in characters also get power and tool-tip descriptions and many more customization options than HFs, which is actually the whole reason I started making mods in the first place, believe it or not.  I really wanted, say, Batman, to say 'the Dark Knight' when you moused over him.  That's what started all of this madness. :lol:

Yes, you can copy a built-in character.  All you have to do is open the mod, go to characters, choose heroes, villains, or what have you, select the character from the list and click "Copy."  Rename and save.  This will not, however, copy all of the customizations. 

My plan is to try and get through the remaining strings today and tomorrow, but we'll see. 

Jim, if you want to help out, I actually do have something you could do for me while I'm working on the strings.  If you're interested, you could take a look at the Readme and see if there is anyone I forgot to credit.
God Bless

crosspotts1.0

i hope so im eargrly waiting to play with mysterio and spidy

Groucho

Thanks everyone for the info on built-in characters! I had come to the realization myself that it's much easier for distributing a mod rather than messing with all of the hero files in a users profile like Spyder said. I wasn't aware that a campaign requires them to be in the character.dat to perform certain things. That's really good to know.

Benton, you mentioned copying a character. Just to clarify, you mean using FFedit and copying one character stored in a mods character.dat and inserting it into another character.dat for use somewhere else, correct?

One other thing I'm a bit unclear on is character AI. I know that some hero files have M25's AI files with them and I know (I think) how those get created and then branded in FFX. Since those I assume are created through some process M25 came up with that parses your hero and creates an AI based on their powers how does the AI work for built-in characters? Do they just use some sort of built in AI stored in a dat file somewhere? Once a character gets converted from a hero file to a built-in, do they just use a built-in AI?

Sorry for all of the questions! I'm just trying to get a grasp of how everything works.

spydermann93

What Benton meant is that in :ffvstr:'s character creator menu, you can pop open the Heroes, Villains, or Multiplayer tabs, click on a character, and copy the character into your own hero file. It will be modifiable just like any of your own custom characters.

As for AI in regards to built-in characters, all of their AI data is in your "modname/Missions/Scripts" folder in a file called "m25aiData.py", I believe (not at home right now, so I can't check). Each built-in character's AI data can be found under the character's name given to them in the "Templates" tab in FFEdit.

Groucho

Thanks Benton and Spyder! I gave it a try and it worked perfectly. It's much easier than I thought to copy a built-in character back into a hero file. Also I did find the "m25aiData.py" file in the location you provided inside the FFX mod folder as well as in the same location in the Marvel Adventures folder. That brings me to another question. What's the reasoning on how mods are structured? I guess what I'm trying to say is that I see mods like FFX and MA have their own folder inside the  :ffvstr:  root folder and they appear to have the contents of the Data folder copied into them (they have their own dat files for example). When creating a mod do you just create a folder and copy over the necessary files and edit those so as not to mess with the core files? How does a mod know which files it should be using (core or modded files?). I assume if you wanted to be able to use FFX stuff in your mod you'd have to copy over the dats from inside the FFX folder rather than the core dat files? Again sorry for all of these questions!

Thanks! 

catwhowalksbyhimself

You should always copy any files you are going to change for a mod into the mod's folder.

For all files, the game first checks the mod's folder and loads the files from there.  It the files are not there, than it check for them in the main folder instead.  So it will only load the core files if there are no versions of them in the mod folders.

Messing with the core files will break mods and possibly other things.  Lots of breaking.  Not something you should try.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Howdy folks, and welcome to the next iteration of Marvel Adventures!  This is Marvel Adventures Vol. 2, featuring a whole host of new characters and a brand-spanking new set of campaigns!  At long last I've finished all those final, niggling details, and I've got this behemoth released!  I can't stop using exclamation points!

*Ahem*

Sorry about that. 

This is a gigantic mod that encompasses large swaths of the Marvel comics universe.  It attempts to capture the classic feel of a large assortment of characters with new stories set during the heyday of such icons as Captain America, Thor, the X-Men, the Avengers, and the Fantastic Four, as well as a bevy of villains and guest stars.  You can face the villainous Hellfire Club as the X-Men, or struggle to save all of the nine realms as Thor and his allies.

So, what are you waiting for? Join the fight!

Download Marvel Adventures now!

Check out the Marvel Adventures album HERE!!

Campaigns:

• The Avengers
  • Thor
  • The Fantastic Four
  • The X-Men
  • The X-Men 2
  • The Invaders
  • Iron Man
  • Guardians of the Galaxy
  • SHIELD
  • Spider-Man and the Marvel Knights

This mod has somewhere in the neighborhood of THREE HUNDRED characters!
God Bless

earl of bronze

How many missions did you add to the Avengers campaign? I see one with the Squadron Supreme.

BentonGrey

Hey EoB, I think I only added on to the Avengers.  I have more sketched out, but I ran out of steam.  Most of my efforts went into the Spider-Man, X-Men, and Fantastic Four campaigns. 
God Bless

windblown

BentonGrey

Thanks WB, I hope that you enjoy it!  :D

Howdy guys, I just became aware of a terrible oversight on my part.  I forgot to credit Detourne_me for the awesome contributions he made to this mod.  Without his skopes and constant efforts to expand the borders of this game, there's a great, great deal that I could never have accomplished with this project.  To name just one example, the work he did on his Nightcrawler finally gave me the adaption of that character I had always wanted and was part of my inspiration for making this mod in the first place.  I use that character's awesome skoped animations as a base for everything I did with the character.  So, with deep apologies to DM for the oversight, I have uploaded an updated Readme and will be fixing the main download soon. 

I also included an overdue note of thanks to my testers and support crew who were always supportive and generally awesome.  Thanks to Spyder, CB, CQ, and Jim!

You can find the updated file here:
http://greylands.freedomforceforever.com/MA_ReadMe.txt
God Bless

Deaths Jester

Course you know with me back to skinning obscure Marvel villians ever so often, you're going to have to add more missions...like a Heroes for Hire mission or such. :-P
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

BentonGrey

I have a Heroes for Hire mission!  :D

But, all of my mods are perpetually awaiting expansions.  ;)
God Bless

OrWolvie1

Looking forward to checking it out, BG. Perhaps it will help me with my problems. I already know it's going to be fun to play, as your Mods always are  :thumbup:

Deaths Jester

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 30, 2017, 04:00:16 AM
I have a Heroes for Hire mission!  :D

But, all of my mods are perpetually awaiting expansions.  ;)

How can you say you have a Heroes for Hire mission without Commanche, the Mangler, Spear, Chesire Cat, Shades, and all those other jive talking '70s turkeys?!?  Come on BG, you know I was going to get you on that....:D

BentonGrey

Haha, well, I know NOTHING about those guys.  You've created such awesome skins for several of them that I will add them in on my next pass, if you'll remind me! :D
God Bless

detourne_me

I've been having a fantastic time playing with this mod BG.  It's just great all around.  Excellent variety of characters, and I've only played the SHIELD meshes so far.
I did see that you had an older skope of Rocket Raccoon in there though... he wasn't quite finished I think. Here's an updated skope with reflections and a jetpack. http://www.mediafire.com/file/69puyzm329hcme5/M_GOTG_Rocket_Raccoon.zip
Oh, and I know you were using Groot with the built-in FFX Ent mesh, but here is a Groot skope I put together too,  I modified the head a bit more, and added some growing keyframes.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/18slqqelpq4wapm/M_GOTG_Groot_dm.zip

Not sure if you'd like to include them in an update or not. :)

Deaths Jester

Quote from: BentonGrey on January 31, 2017, 02:09:04 AM
Haha, well, I know NOTHING about those guys.  You've created such awesome skins for several of them that I will add them in on my next pass, if you'll remind me! :D

BG, you need to spend more time at the Marvel Appendix website then...or reading old school Marvel comics...:P

Fronkenhonk

This is great struff.  :thumbup: However im having trouble with mission 2 for the FF. It says explore the second cavern and free the prisoners. After freeing the prisoners nothing happens and the rest of the level is empty.

spydermann93

Did you "talk" to the civilian with the red exclamation mark over their head?

Fronkenhonk

Yes and nothing happended. The red exclamation mark just disapears. Tried several times restarting the mission.

BentonGrey

Fronkenhonk (great name! :D ), that's strange.  Are you sure you've killed all of the minions in that area?  If one of them is trapped someplace, the encounter won't end.  And you've restarted the mission from the beginning?  Unfortunately because of the limitations of EZScript, saves within a mission won't load properly.  Also, be sure you smash all of the cages.  You can knock them off of the civilians, but the encounter won't register as finished unless they are all destroyed.

DJ, ha!  That is probably true.  When I finish reading through DC's Bronze Age sometime in 2085, I plan on going through Marvel's.  :D
God Bless