News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Marvel Adventures Vol. 2 - New Release!!

Started by BentonGrey, August 14, 2012, 02:32:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

That's actually what I've been experimenting on with my Decoys and Freedom Forcers. Still testing boundaries and limits though.

It would help if I actually had some free time though.

Cyber Burn

With altering the Texture Names, and setting up the Nif Files to accept them, it seems the tests with the Decoys and Freedom Forcer Skopes/Skins was successful. So now I'm veeeerrrryyyy slooowwwllyyy working on the X-Men in the MA Mod to see if I eventually get the same results. But with my schedule, as it is, and all the other commitments I have, who knows how long this will take.

So far, I have:

Wolverine_Yellow_REN
Colossus_Classic
thunderbird_classic
Cyclops_JimLee
Banshee_Classic_AA

BentonGrey

Okay, that's important to know.  Thanks, CB, for tackling this.  I'll just release an update with what I have, and then there's no hurry on the pinking issue.  I appreciate you working on it at all, but it seems like it is not affecting all of the mod or even all players, so it isn't game-breaking, however annoying it is.  If you'll keep plugging away at it, I'd certainly appreciate your help!  As always, you're the man.  :D
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Jimaras8

Benton, i'm sorry if this has already been covered but i'm having trouble playing the in the4 snowy map used in the X-men first mission campaign with the X-men vs the Aplkha Flight.

Let me clarify that the mission works perfectly in the campaign but when i select the map in the RR, the games crashes. The name of the map in the RR list is "01x training day".

BentonGrey

Hmm, that's weird.  I GUESS I've probably deleted some markers needed for RR play.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Jimaras8

Is there any solution to that? Do you experience it in your version?

BentonGrey

Sorry Jim, I forgot to respond to this!  I've been sort of incommunicado lately. 

The solution would be to figure out which markers are missing and replace them, so it would be super simple.  However, I don't know enough about how the RR uses markers to know how to go about that.

Also, I finally got off my duff and uploaded the fixes I've been sitting on.  Y'all can get them here:
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/marvel-adventures/
God Bless

Lunati

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 02, 2018, 09:43:22 PM
Also, I finally got off my duff and uploaded the fixes I've been sitting on.  Y'all can get them here:
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/marvel-adventures/

Thanks, is this then the fix for the pinking issues in X-Men and the Ironman fix (for no cutscenes) ?
And do I just need to download the whole package again and replace the whole MA directory?

BentonGrey

Lunati, yes, this SHOULD be a fix for the X-Men pinking and a few other odds and ends for their campaign.  I fixed the Ironman problem and tested that, so it should be good. 

Yes, just delete your entire MA folder and replace it.  You'll need to restart campaigns to see all of the fixes because of the way FF saves work.
God Bless

Lunati

Thanks, will try it out. When I can find the time  :rolleyes: .

BentonGrey

Howdy guys, I'm elbows deep in the guts of this mod, fixing problems and constantly discovering more.  :wacko:  I need a little help.  Apparently Goggle's Pizanno's palace map has various weapons on the walls.  Some of them are axes, some are maces, and some are hammers.  Everything seems to be displaying properly except the hammers.  They're missing textures.  The only problem is, I have no idea what texture it is. Can anyone figure it out?  Because of the way these things are set up, they show up in the editor labelled as streetlights.  That's not very helpful to me.  :P

On a positive note, CB's fix for the continual pinking issues seems to be working...but I'm constantly find new characters to which I have to apply it.
God Bless

BentonGrey

Howdy folks!  I promised I wouldn't be idle when I got back, and I'm keeping that promise.  I'm currently doing a final pass through of the mod and my fixes and updates.  I'm also creating saves of all the missions, as has occasionally been requested.  I was thinking to myself, "I'll be done with this tonight!"  But then I looked at how many campaigns and missions I still had to play through, and I realized I was a bit overambitious.  There are a LOT of campaigns in this mod!  Haha!  :lol:  Anyway, I'll release this update and bugfix soon, so be on the lookout!
God Bless

spydermann93

BentonGrey

Well, I'm having trouble getting the file uploaded on Cat's server, but I got it up on my Mod DB page, so you can head on over there and check it out. 
https://www.moddb.com/mods/marvel-adventures

That's right, Marvel Adventures 2.2 is released, an update that fixes a boatload of problems and provides a number of little tweaks.

You can check out the details on my site and on ModDB.  I've started providing a lot of the Readme info up front, as I'm realizing that people aren't reading the readmes.  Ha!  :lol:

Anyway, have fun, folks, and until my next project, Make mine Marvel....Adventures!

Also, if you enjoy the mod and you haven't already, please give it a rating over at ModDB!

Also also, let me put out another request for screenshots or videos.  If you want to share some of your adventures with me, I'll put them up on my sites and share them with the world!
God Bless

Jimaras8

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 29, 2018, 10:27:02 PM
Well, I'm having trouble getting the file uploaded on Cat's server, but I got it up on my Mod DB page, so you can head on over there and check it out. 
https://www.moddb.com/mods/marvel-adventures

That's right, Marvel Adventures 2.2 is released, an update that fixes a boatload of problems and provides a number of little tweaks.

You can check out the details on my site and on ModDB.  I've started providing a lot of the Readme info up front, as I'm realizing that people aren't reading the readmes.  Ha!  :lol:

Anyway, have fun, folks, and until my next project, Make mine Marvel....Adventures!

Also, if you enjoy the mod and you haven't already, please give it a rating over at ModDB!

Also also, let me put out another request for screenshots or videos.  If you want to share some of your adventures with me, I'll put them up on my sites and share them with the world

Benton i'm glad you found the time to finish an update to your behemoth. I ave made some adjustments to your
previous versions mainly adding some powers to a few characters. If i installll this update will it mess with those additions? I haven't changed anytging in the campaigns. Just added close to 50 new characters and close to 10 powers to xisting

BentonGrey

Hrm...well Jim, yeah, that is a pickle.  I've tweaked both powers and characters .dats, and yeah, if you install this, it will wipe out your changes.  I'm afraid I'm not precise enough to keep exact track of what I'm changing and when, so I can't tell you what all I messed with. 

There are two solutions I can think of.  First, the game-breaking stuff I fixed is a matter of campaigns and art assets.  You could backup your Characters, Templates, and Powers .dats (and any art files associated with your new stuff), then delete the mod and install the new version.  Then, simply paste those files back in, overriding the update's versions.  This means you won't get the character and power tweaks (and there weren't a ton of those), but you'll get the most important stuff. 

Alternately, the second option gets you everything, but it is a lot more work (hence why I don't do it for updates).  You could backup all of the art files you added, go through the dats and delete everything except your new stuff.  Then you could backup those dats, delete your mod, install the update, and merge your original, cut-down dats with the new ones. 

I'm sorry man.  If I had thought about it, we probably could have just added your stuff into the main mod.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

:banghead: I wish I still had everything set up to play, I was really looking forward to this.

I'm really glad to see that you were able to get this released Benton, Congrats!  :thumbup:

Jimaras8

Quote from: BentonGrey on July 30, 2018, 02:21:20 PM
Hrm...well Jim, yeah, that is a pickle.  I've tweaked both powers and characters .dats, and yeah, if you install this, it will wipe out your changes.  I'm afraid I'm not precise enough to keep exact track of what I'm changing and when, so I can't tell you what all I messed with. 

There are two solutions I can think of.  First, the game-breaking stuff I fixed is a matter of campaigns and art assets.  You could backup your Characters, Templates, and Powers .dats (and any art files associated with your new stuff), then delete the mod and install the new version.  Then, simply paste those files back in, overriding the update's versions.  This means you won't get the character and power tweaks (and there weren't a ton of those), but you'll get the most important stuff. 

Alternately, the second option gets you everything, but it is a lot more work (hence why I don't do it for updates).  You could backup all of the art files you added, go through the dats and delete everything except your new stuff.  Then you could backup those dats, delete your mod, install the update, and merge your original, cut-down dats with the new ones. 

I'm sorry man.  If I had thought about it, we probably could have just added your stuff into the main mod.

Benton, i have given it some thought and i believe the first option is the best one by far. The campaigns and art sections complete the experience without colliding with the changes i have mde. I will need your help though determining which files i should keep. I will make a short list of the changes and you tell me if they conflict with any of your campaign fixes:

1) As i have said before i have added 60+ new characters meant to be fine-tuned and balanced in order to fit the game. So i guess objects, powers, templates and characters dat are must. Do i need to save res.dat as well, i never understood what it did  :D.

2) I created close to 10 combo attributes so attributes.dat andd ffxmulti.py are saved as well.

3) I have added 15 new powers to existing characters you made but the powers.dat in 1) covers it so we are good.

4) I have made some minor tweaks in the ai mostly so existing characters like sandman can use their new powers and some characters to not remain airbonre all the time so m25aidata is saved as well.

5) I have made an active defense/attribute like the ones you use frequently so ffxcustom2.py is retained.

6) Added close to 200 new FX from AA's qumenpack and Heralds of Destiny plus some windblown fx so the textures,generic folders and fx/sounds dats are saved.

7) The entirety of characters folder from the library needs to be saved as well.

8) I have written bios for the new characters so the strings.txt file needs to be saved. Do i need other files from the lang folder or will the strongs file suffice?

I know it's a lot but i would appreciate any input in order to have a smooth transcation. I'm really looking forward to finish your campaigns :thumbup:..So far have any of the changes i have made conflict with your campaign tweaks?

BentonGrey

I'm sorry that you're not set up to play, CB!  That's a shame, man.  But troubles don't last forever.  The mod will still be here if and when you want to try it out, my friend.   :)

Quote from: Jimaras8 on August 14, 2018, 02:01:43 PM
Benton, i have given it some thought and i believe the first option is the best one by far. The campaigns and art sections complete the experience without colliding with the changes i have mde. I will need your help though determining which files i should keep. I will make a short list of the changes and you tell me if they conflict with any of your campaign fixes:

1) As i have said before i have added 60+ new characters meant to be fine-tuned and balanced in order to fit the game. So i guess objects, powers, templates and characters dat are must. Do i need to save res.dat as well, i never understood what it did  :D.

Sounds like a plan, Jim. 

You will need to save the Res if you added anything to it, which would be adding new talking heads and the like.  I am pretty sure I edited mine, at least a little, probably fixing a data path or something.

2) I created close to 10 combo attributes so attributes.dat andd ffxmulti.py are saved as well.
Good, and I didn't edit either of those.

3) I have added 15 new powers to existing characters you made but the powers.dat in 1) covers it so we are good.
Right.

4) I have made some minor tweaks in the ai mostly so existing characters like sandman can use their new powers and some characters to not remain airbonre all the time so m25aidata is saved as well.
I did make several AI changes that affect gameplay, so I would back yours up, copy out the ones you changed, and paste them over the entries in the new one.  I know I changed several of the various minions so they would use their powers better and not spam grenades, and I tweaked a lot of characters that have area attacks so that they wouldn't spam those either.  I tweaked Magneto, trying to get him to use his FFActive, but no luck there.  Have you had any luck with that?

5) I have made an active defense/attribute like the ones you use frequently so ffxcustom2.py is retained.
I've probably tweaked that too, but I don't remember what and where.  You could do the same process as 4 if you want to be on the safe side.

6) Added close to 200 new FX from AA's qumenpack and Heralds of Destiny plus some windblown fx so the textures,generic folders and fx/sounds dats are saved.
Awesome!  Well, I may have fixed some VP issues, which would affect Sounds, but I'm not positive (my mod making is blending together).  HOWEVER, anything I did in Sounds could be conserved by merging from the new Dat to yours and then back again.  If you only added new content, then all of it would be conserved, while any changes I made would also be protected that way.  This is probably not a huge thing, as it would at most affect the voices of a character or two.

7) The entirety of characters folder from the library needs to be saved as well.
Yes, but I've made a lot of changes to the characters most likely to exhibit the pinking issue in campaigns, so it might be best to copy the new characters folder over yours, which will save all of your new art assets while adding the altered meshes and skins for pinking characters.

8) I have written bios for the new characters so the strings.txt file needs to be saved. Do i need other files from the lang folder or will the strongs file suffice?
The only thing that will be affected is strings, then.  If you only have new information, you can just merge from new to old and then old to new, and it should be fine. 

I know it's a lot but i would appreciate any input in order to have a smooth transcation. I'm really looking forward to finish your campaigns :thumbup:..So far have any of the changes i have made conflict with your campaign tweaks?

No worries at all, Jim!  I'm happy to help, and I wish we had gotten together before I had done all of this.  We could have just folded all of your stuff into the new version.  I'd have been happy to have it. 

Be sure to back everything of yours up if you have the space, and that way you can always go back and change things if necessary.  It all looks good, but I can't 100% promise we haven't missed something.
God Bless

Jimaras8

I wish i would send you my version earlier Benton, i think you would really like the majority of the changes. We can still do that if everything goes according to plan. As for the res file what do you by "talking heads". The new characters have head.nifs that were generated by the AI generator in-game but i haven't added any dialogue or anything like in the your campaigns.

As for the Magneto Active Defense i really enlisted spyder's help on this one so here how Graviton's line in the m25aidata goes: "TActiveDefenseFFSelf(time=3,type='enemy',situation='not active_defense')",. Graviton's AD and Magneto's are quite similar, almost identical so i think this could work in theory.

BentonGrey

I'm sure I would like them, Jim.  We'll have to see about combining everything for a later expansion. 

Talking heads are the animated heads that show up in campaigns for dialog OR the portraits which show up in my mods.  Essentially, the Res tab is mostly used for adding animportrait entries, the entries that tell the game where to find 'talking heads' for characters that need to talk in a campaign.  You'll want to add entries for any of your new characters that you want to use in campaigns, because if the game goes to look for one of those and can't find it, it will crash.

Have you seen Graviton use his AD?  I've got a similar line for Mags, but no luck so far.
God Bless

Lunati

Hi Benton,

It's been a while. Thanks so much for fixing the issues with Ironman / X-men. I finally got round to start fresh with the X-men group campaign. So far so good, although I haven't gotten to the missions where the pinking issue was though. Fingers crossed.

Just a little bug I noticed, when using Marvel Girls group flight powers you better not have fliers in your team. I had Storm and Banshee in my team. But when I used Marvel Girl's ability to do the group landing power, she also stripped Storm and Banshee of their natural fly ability. So for now I just won't use that power when having fliers in my team ;-).

kind regards,
Lunati

Jimaras8

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 16, 2018, 05:48:58 PM
I'm sure I would like them, Jim.  We'll have to see about combining everything for a later expansion. 

Talking heads are the animated heads that show up in campaigns for dialog OR the portraits which show up in my mods.  Essentially, the Res tab is mostly used for adding animportrait entries, the entries that tell the game where to find 'talking heads' for characters that need to talk in a campaign.  You'll want to add entries for any of your new characters that you want to use in campaigns, because if the game goes to look for one of those and can't find it, it will crash.

Have you seen Graviton use his AD?  I've got a similar line for Mags, but no luck so far.

Every character i made has head nifs in their folders but i haven't written any dialogue for them. So i guess i need to keep my res.dat then?

Yes, he doesn't use it as much as i would like but Graviton does use it. It's one of those weird things where one thing works for someone and it doesn't work for another.

BentonGrey

No, if you haven't added to the Res.dat yourself, you have not changed it.  You have to manipulate it through FFEdit.  Adding the head.nifs is just like adding any .nif; it's only half of the equation.  At the moment, there is nothing you HAVE to do with the Res.dat.

If you want to be able to use those new characters of yours in campaigns, you'll need to create animportrait entries in that tab through FFEdit.  You just copy an existing one, like animportrait_loki, rename it to the name of the character (animportrait_blank), and point the data path to the right directory.  It's pretty obvious when you look at an existing one.

If you don't care about using them in campaigns (and you don't have to have dialog for them, just recruit them in those that allow that), you can ignore this.

Hmm, cool.  I'll have to play around with that AI.
God Bless

Jimaras8

Ah, got it Benton so i dont tamper with the res for now. I do need the objects.dat dont it? Apart from the dats the other parts are way easier. Once i combine everything i will upload it to mediafire so yo can ispect it yourself. Oh and if you need help with the DCUG let me know. Im having some free time till the end of summer.

Lunati

Bug found in new release, pinking issue remains for X-men (group missions). In mission 4, when using Iceman, the icewalls are pink. For the moment I will just not use Iceman in the missions. And see if any other pinking issues still remain.
This I played with a PC that had just started up, did not play any other games or FFv3rdR. So not a memory issue as suggested many times before when mentioning the pinking issue.

kind regards,
Lunati

BentonGrey

Howdy Lunati!  My heart sank for a moment there, but then I finished reading your post.  That is actually a separate issue, I think.  You're saying Iceman wasn't pink, just his walls?  That's an easy fix, just a texture missing from the map.  I'll put out a small patch.  You should be able to use Iceman as you like.  Some maps will have the right textures, and some won't.  If you encounter any others, let me know. 

Now, the other pinking issue may still happen, because CB and I didn't convert every skin, but we did all of those that exhibited the problem.  So, we'll see what happens.

Thanks for the report!

Jim, your Objects.dat is half of the info for new characters, so you'll definitely need that.  I did screw with the weight of a bunch of characters, I just remembered, so you won't get those adjustments, as they're kept in the Objects.dat.  I did this because of some knockback issues, so your mileage may vary.
God Bless

Lunati

Quote from: BentonGrey on August 18, 2018, 02:04:36 PM
Howdy Lunati!  My heart sank for a moment there, but then I finished reading your post.  That is actually a separate issue, I think.  You're saying Iceman wasn't pink, just his walls?  That's an easy fix, just a texture missing from the map.  I'll put out a small patch.  You should be able to use Iceman as you like.  Some maps will have the right textures, and some won't.  If you encounter any others, let me know. 

Thanks, well when I read this I'm starting to think it might me a snow texture issue? Since I also get pink terrain on mission 6 Brothers and Sisters, if that is supposed to be snow. Could that then be the texture with the problem?
And having minor pink issues, well I could look past some objects. But not past the whole terrain ;-). Hope this can be fixed too. Haven't seen any pinking issues on characters though, fingers crossed  ;).

For the moment I will switch to the Ironman levels, untill this pinking issue is fixed though.

BentonGrey

Arg!  I wasn't able to solve that problem with the pink map and then forgot all about it!  Fortunately, while I was reading your post, I had a brainwave and figured it out.  I THINK I've now fixed that issue AND all the minor issues with FFX stuff like ice walls and utility belts not having their textures on certain maps.  I'll upload a patch or maybe a new version tomorrow.

Good news that you've seen no other pinking of characters.  If you run into any more before I get the fix uploaded, let me know, and I'll add them to the update.
God Bless

Cyber Burn

Hey Benton, before releasing a new version, there are some characters you may want to check. I had a list before I cleared my laptop, should have kept it. But if memory serves you may want to check the following characters:

My Atlantean Skopes
My Assassin Guild Skopes
The Starjammers
The Abomination

I know there were more, but I'm going blank, but probably check anything that I did just to be safe.