News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

A replacement game?

Started by rain, September 01, 2012, 10:25:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rain

Well folks....

I'm not going to comment about the loss of our favorite virutal world. It's sad for sure.

A good dozen of us are going to be looking for a new "home" soon. Any ideas?
I figured a thread where we could look at alternatives and anyone with some first hand thoughts or experience with any of the games that come up could chime in.

A few thoughts:

1.DCUO:
Tried it and did not like it. In fact I didn't make it past the character creator. I found it limiting in terms of the choices for my characters. That said, there are some cool people from this community over there.

2.Champions Online:
I'm going to download this in my spare time and take a look. I am not hopeful however as it seems the content updates since it was sold to Perfect World have been pretty meager. I'm also pretty wary of Cryptic as a whole.

3.The Secret World
Purchased it this afternoon. TW is checking out the trial and I will give a good bit on my impressions of the game after I get some time.

Anyone else with ideas?
I would rather avoid the Fantasy Genre as a hole.

rain
-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

catwhowalksbyhimself

Not technically an MMO, but Mass Effect 3 has a coop mission based multiplayer mode that sounds like a lot of fun.

Battletech Online is in development and sounds like a ton of fun, customizing your own giant walking engines of destruction.  Plus previews have said that it's less arcade style action and more tactical combat, and I like the sound of that.

It tried STO briefly.  Seemed like a good game, just didn't want to go through the trouble of learning it while also playing CoH.  As an added bonus, there is an FR fleet already there.

Secret World sounds kinda interesting, but more like a singleplayer game than a real MMO.  Still seems like it might be fun.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

RTTingle

Nothing can replace COH, period.

I have characters on DCUO and was so frustrated with CO that I deleted what I did have on there.  If I get the itch i suppose you'll find me on DCUO and if pushed I could be on CO again.  I love The Secret World, LOVE IT!  TSW has really caught my interest, I bought the game, but not subscribed at the moment.  I'd be found there right now if I wasn't in one hell of a money bind right now.

Now and then I wander Star Trek Online, All Points Bulletin, Pirates of the Burning Seas & Dungeons & Dragons.

All the same, I'm just anxiously waiting for word on COH private servers.

-RTT

RTTingle

catwhowalksbyhimself

I wouldn't go anywhere near Origin with a 24 1/2 foot pole.  The only exception I might make would be for ME 3, but even then I have yet to purchase that game solely because of Origin.

Maybe Steam is having a similar sale though.  I'll check.

Kommando

Had some awesome fun with Star Trek Online this year. Main problem was it was still a lot like playing a single player game. Still, witDCUOh very little expense, you can unlock Silver and STO is probably the best F2P model I have ever played. I would certainly play it again. You level really fast though. I had 2 level 50s without hardly trying, just running missions and a few events. It took a while to finally finish the story arcs.

Champions wasn't too bad, but Free to Play just sucks. Again my first time around was playing by myself and I would only play if I had a really good reason to pay.

Secret World - don't know what it is yet, not sure if laptop will handle it.

DCUO - haven't heard enough good things.

SWTOR - No.

Right now most of my spare time is spent in Second Life. I won't call it a game because last time I did, I ended up never talking to Spud again.

BigAl1775

At the risk of upsetting people....I can recommend DCUO. I am one of the officers there and we have a cool group of Reborners there. I understand the starting creator is lacking, but I have a thought about that. What did Spiderman and Batman look like at first? All super beings start off a bit odd sometimes. Took me over a year to get the BA look I have now. More styles unlock as you progress, so that shouldn't discourage you. The gameplay is solid and fun and we are more than willing to walk anyone thru that needs it. More important, its free to play. So you have nothing to lose. Just uninstall if you don't like it. Swing over to the DCUO forums and check it out. Stay awesome my Freedom Friends!  :thumbup:
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)

Tortuga

Apparently Guild Wars 2 is da bomb.  My computer won't handle it but my brother is loving it.

BlueBard

Just to put in a pitch for Star Trek Online, for those who like SciFi/Star Trek...

Season 6, which launched in July, added a Fleet Advancement system (involving the building of a fleet starbase) along with a number of new scenarios intended for fleets and high-level teamplay.

Season 7 is being targeted for November.  If all goes according to what we're being told, it will include a new sector block and more "endgame" features.  They'll be introducing a new Reputation system, similar to how you could complete missions for different factions in DDO and gain favor.  They'll be adding a new Fleet Holding (Embassy) and scenarios around a Romulan colony.

Featured Episodes will be making their return sometime in Season 8, according to Dan Stahl.

I will admit that PvP is not where anyone wants it to be, but it hasn't been forgotten.  STO is planning to integrate new PvP features from an unnamed PvP-oriented game under development.  They'll be working on Space PvP first and then tackle Ground PvP sometime after that.

Also, they will be continuing to add features from Neverwinter's Foundry, which allows players to build their own missions. 

The Dev team is not letting grass grow under their feet and they continue to staff up after being acquired by Perfect World Entertainment last year.

I would encourage people to come back and check out STO when Season 7 launches, if not sooner.  The Federation Reborn fleet will be waiting for you.  You can keep in touch here, or on the fleet forum at http://z15.invisionfree.com/Federation_Reborn.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Stopman

Quote from: BlueBard on September 10, 2012, 01:42:25 PM
Just to put in a pitch for Star Trek Online, for those who like SciFi/Star Trek...

I will admit that PvP is not where anyone wants it to be, but it hasn't been forgotten.  STO is planning to integrate new PvP features from an unnamed PvP-oriented game under development.  They'll be working on Space PvP first and then tackle Ground PvP sometime after that.

Will the Space PVP be like Xtrek? That was epic back in the day!

Rain, taking a look at TSW, sounds very intriguing. Looks to have an outside chance to be a success.
Tort, GW2 I might have to try. I've been on TERA Online and it's been fun, but it's very empty, so can be hard to find quest buddies.
"The new EAT is a Stalker/Controller mix!!"

Ephemeris

I will not be playing Guild Wars 2 nor any other NC Soft game.  I refuse to give NC Soft any more of my money unless it's for CoH...

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree with Eph.  GW2 is out for me for that exact reason.  I actually am not sure I would even re sub to CoH if NCSoft revived it themselves.  If someone else did, in a heartbeat, but not so sure if they did.

BlueBard

Quote from: Stopman on September 10, 2012, 06:11:08 PM
Quote from: BlueBard on September 10, 2012, 01:42:25 PM

Will the Space PVP be like Xtrek? That was epic back in the day!

Probably not much, no.  Other than both are PvP.

Here's a link so you can see what it looks like:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXAIcgSZZPU

STO is Free-to-Play, so other than a download (and a PC to run it on!) there's no barrier to entry to try it out and see if you like it or not.

STO already has PvP; it just needs more maps, scenarios, leaderboards, etc.  There's a very vocal PvP community on the official STO forums.

Verfall

I've been playing STO for the last couple months. Definitely nothing like COH, but it is fun nonetheless.
"My word and world holds ground and is real
Your word is like floods of poisoned water
A language spoken with spit from different tongues
You can never corrupt me again"

rain

Just a little update and a bump here gents....

I have been playing the Secret World pretty heavily in my spare time (well lets face it, got a new girlfriend, play time is limited)

Answer is, I love it.
There's a huge variety of missions and the way the skill/ability system works means you can pretty much level any skillset in the game on your toons. The real benefit to this is you never feel like you are gimping your character.
The graphics are great, the lore is outstanding....blah blah blah.... unless a miracle happens I'll likely be playing that come nov30.

To answer a few questions I've been taking about it...
1. No there is no f2p option. I'm happy about this because I really feel that the f2p thing did a lot more damage to CoH than good.
2. There is a three day trial.
3. Yes there is a cash shop. The only thing in there right now are some clothing items, effects emotes, non combat pets and server transfers. There are no xp boosts, loot boosts ect. If you complete 30 missions over your free trial they were giving you 1200 points (enough for a costume set). Not sure if this deal is still open.
4. The combat is fun. Not CoH fun, but definitely better than most other MMOs I've played. There's a dodge element and being able to move and fire off powers at the same time is nice ;)
5.The cost of entry is the box game (40 bucks) and the monthly sub after the 1st month.

Over all I am truly loving the game, it is REALLY nice to play an MMO without giant glowing arrows pointing to my next objective at all times. The game does make you think (In fact there are "investigation missions" that have you do online research via the in game web browser, very cool).

Other than this I've been spending some of my time on Second Life, building again. If anyone wants to hook up there, shoot my a PM.

-Rain
-rain

Every time a Hammyo'ed MoG scrapper falls to an elec snipe in the arena, an angel gets his wings

rain

Quote from: Ephemeris on September 10, 2012, 09:51:08 PM
I will not be playing Guild Wars 2 nor any other NC Soft game.  I refuse to give NC Soft any more of my money unless it's for CoH...

QFT

Seriously, after all the time and money I've spent on CoH, I'll never purchase one of their products again.
-rain

catwhowalksbyhimself

It looks like a large portion of the CoH fan base is moving to Secret World.  I may have to check it out at some point, but I'm on vacation from MMOs until the doors close on CoH.

EDIT:  Secret World is currently on sale from Steam, if you've been thinking about getting it.

Midnite

It's sad to see City of Heroes shut down, it was my first MMO. Played it for the first year, got tired from grinding, thought it will be my last MMO. Tried CO didn't like it too much. When I found out DC Universe Online was being developed, I eagerly waited for the beta. Was in close beta and loved it. Been playing since beta till present day.

I wish more people were clear on the distinction between "this is bad" and "I do not like this." DCUO is not a bad game (although it is definitely below its potential), but disliking it for not being CoH isn't a mark of quality, but preference.

BlueBard

There were things about DCUO that I genuinely liked.  But overall, it just didn't grab me.  I really did not care for the costume creator... maybe that's improved since I last tried it.  I was never all that fond of the PC UI, either, and it wasn't kind to someone as hand-eye-coordination-challenged as I am.

Maybe I should try it again sometime, but it never felt like the game I wanted to play.

MikeB7

I miss hanging out with you guys.  I keep getting a 'oh, it's late afternoon, I shouldn't nap now - I need to be awake later' feeling. 

Took a look at DCU and it didn't grab me, tried Second Life but I had no idea what to do once there.  I've been playing Far Cry 2 ($10 bucks at Amazon).  Not playing anything but CoH and FF in the past ten years means there's lot of single player games available to catch up on.  Making a list of stuff to look at like Bioshock, Crysis, Hitman, Borderlands, Skyrim, Starcraft2, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty...stuff like that.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Starcraft 2 is quite good.  It is, IMO, the best single player campaign mode for an RTS ever made.  Multiplayer's supposed to be good too, but I'm so horribly bad at it, I don't bother.

Orcs Must Die is highly recommended for very little cash.  Orcs must Die 2 even has coop two player mode.

freedomje

I did not like secret world at all...

STO is a pretty good game, the space is fantastic, the ground bores me..

SWtor,  Really great game as far as story goes..  (only MMO that comes close to CoH in that regard)   game play is pretty neat..  group RP mechanics for missions is something no other game has.. Definatly worth trying.  I only have played a dual saber jedi, but it was pretty darn fun.  In some respects it reminded me of dual blades in CoH..

How they drove coH into the ground is beyond me..  (ohh wait,, they turned it into a grind fest with loot)  Huge mistake...  that game could of lived for a long time...

catwhowalksbyhimself

Actually they didn't drive it into the ground.  It was still profitable, one new issue was days from being released, half a dozen new powersets were in active development, another dozen or so in planning stages, 3 other issues in various stages of development, and so forth.  NSoft pulled the plug for other reasons, and also canceled the other two still unknown games being developed by Paragon studio.  The studio was basically told, oh you all are fired, this week.

So yeah, might want to check your facts next time.

rain

While "profitable", CoH was in a steady slow decline for several years. Even by the most optimistic calculations, it was not making the amount of money the publisher wanted to see. If you look at the trends in the game's profits, it shows that without some kind of major upswing, the game was going to be unprofitable within about 2-3 years.
This is despite an expansion(GR) and a f2p conversion (CoH:F) that never really delivered the expected upswing in revenue.
The fanboys like to point rather strongly at the fact that it was turning a profit . But looking at the official numbers you could easily see that it soon wouldn't be.

Facts:
1. The game was not growing

2. They had hit the upper limit of what even the most hard core of us were willing to pay, and therefore had capped their earnings per subscriber.

3. The attempts to grow the user base did not work.

You can say "other reasons" and read all the conspiracy theories about why they shut it down but it doesn't change business. There's a lot of wacky stuff posted about the shutdown, including stuff about how they wanted more people to buy GW2 or even some really ugly racially biased stuff about how NCSoft didn't want to be running offices in the US ect... none of that changes business.
Saying "it was profitable" is myopic.
-rain

catwhowalksbyhimself

While long term that was true, going suddenly from full on production for years to come to just suddenly without warning firing the whole studio--well it's just oddly abrupt.  Add to that the fact that two other games were under productions and suddenly shut down too along with the entire studio, and it does seem a little odd.  From what I understand, most MMO's are sunsetted a bit more gradually, than that.  It just came out of nowhere.

Do I personally think there was some vast conspiracy?  No, but it was rather poorly planned and abruptly executed.  There's no reason they could not have simply called a halt to the major content expansions and let the game run for a while until the profit starts to run out.  That's what I believe most games do.  Not to mention canceleing the other games being developed first.

rain

I missed trolling you cat.

try and remember that phrases like "So yeah, might want to check your facts next time." really make you come off as a jerk
-rain

kobelee

Mike,Second Life is not what can you do,but more like what can't you do...Nothing! Second Life,while a social experience (isn't really a "game") you can do pretty much anything  you can think of,or do nothing.Even Role Playing..

B A D

I've dabbled in LOTR  online, the Secret World, Champions,  and even City of Steam. None have really held  my interest. I've engrossed myself in Civ V Brave new world for the time being. I'm trying to be patient and see if any of the three COX fan based projects actually take off.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.

Stopman

The Secret World is on sale for half off! What server are most of you guys on?
"The new EAT is a Stalker/Controller mix!!"

B A D

I just started playing an MMO called  Fallen Earth. Its a post apocalyptic game, really Fallout 3 like. So far its pretty good. Although it is heavy on  the crafting. You make most of the stuff you use yourself, although its not very difficult. Its pretty immersive, no overall story line, and a huge area to explore. fairly not bad thus far.
PROTIP: If you?re going to build a robot that can think for itself and then make it do menial labor, don?t make it twice your size, indestructible, and strong enough to pick you up and use your body to beat your friends to death. Alas, such is ever the folly of man.