Doctor Who Series 7

Started by Tomato, September 02, 2012, 09:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

Journey to the Centre of the Tardis is just a bigger teaser of what's to come for the 50th Anniversary special.. with the last episode of the season revealed as being titled The Name Of The Doctor I'm sure Clara will be the key of why it's revealed and how she just managed to stumble across that book and be able to turn to the right page to find his name. Her deaths and mystery of her existence in multiple times with the same name and same personality is something very important and probably tied to "The Fall Of The 11th".

There is a huge clue to Clara's mystery in that a rose keeps turning up in every episode (either roses on a table in Clara's parents home, the word Rose in a sign of a pub she is staying in, etc.) and with various photos turning up showing the 10th Doctor with Rose standing beside him while the special is being filmed.. I'm very sure that it's something linking Rose with the TARDIS. After all the TARDIS doesn't seem to feel comfortable with Clara at all and maybe it's because her current state of being was caused by something that was impossible to begin with (Bad Wolf? Captain Jack becoming Face Of Boe? Rose always knowing when The Doctor needed her help?)

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

In addition to that, Coleman has stated, when talking about the finale, that the Doctor is mistaken about something important about Clara.

Spoiler
They have met more than just the three times,  but for some reason he has not recognized the other appearances.

Actually what you said just made something click.  What if Rose did something while she held the power of the TARDIS, like she did with Jack?  Obviously Clara is not quite like Jack, but maybe Rose either tried to bring someone else back or else tried to create some kind of unkillable helper for the Doctor.  The TARDIS reacted VERY strongly against Jack and it seems to be doing something similar, although not as extreme, here.  On the other hand, the Doctor has not sense the wrongness like he did with Jack, so maybe I'm entirely on the wrong track here.  Just a few more weeks left before we find out anyway.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

crimsonquill

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on May 01, 2013, 02:59:24 AM
What if Rose did something while she held the power of the TARDIS, like she did with Jack?  Obviously Clara is not quite like Jack, but maybe Rose either tried to bring someone else back or else tried to create some kind of unkillable helper for the Doctor.  The TARDIS reacted VERY strongly against Jack and it seems to be doing something similar, although not as extreme, here.  On the other hand, the Doctor has not sense the wrongness like he did with Jack, so maybe I'm entirely on the wrong track here.

One of the theories on a Whovian message site I visit has a theory that Clara (the one who is on the ship Alaska and later converted into a Dalek) managed to survive on Asylum after erasing the Doctor's existence from their memory banks. Being trapped in the ruins of the prison and left to struggle with her existence she eventually cracks and evolves into the Dalek Emperor who appears at Bad Wolf with the invasion fleet. It makes sense that it would take a very insane Dalek mind to call itself a God. The Dalek Emperor also seems to hesitate when the 9th Doctor introduces himself. After Rose takes in the heart of the TARDIS she takes apart the fleet, the Emperor, and all the Daleks into dust and then uses it to create life across the universe including restoring Jack with his side effect of Immortality. The theory is that Rose noticed the remains of Clara's memories and genetics in the Emperor and sent several versions of her into time just before the event that is called "The Fall Of The Eleventh" to make sure he followed her mystery to where he needed to be when his name would be revealed. I'm sure following that trail will bring him to The Field Of Trenzalor. And the new villains the Doctor faces to reach his final destination are The Whisper Men... what better name for creatures who show up before he falls into the trap which the Silence and Great Intelligence set for him in the 50th Anniversary movie.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

That theory falls apart when you consider that they Emperor was the pre Time War emperor who survived the emporer, while Dalek Clara was a post Time War Dalek.

However, someone noticed while analyzing the season 7.5 prequel episode that Clara's mother is talking to someone who looks a lot like Jackie Tyler, while children a playing and running across the screen that resemble a very young Rose and Mickey.  Putting that together, maybe it's possible that Clara is actually a childhood friend of Rose's who died, causing her to try to restore her like she did Jack.  It didn't quite work out the same though, resulting in the multiple lifetime Clara.  This could mean that the young version that the Doctor met as a child is actually not the same as the version he's traveling with now, thus fulfilling what the actress said about him meeting her more than three times.

It's also worth noting that whatever's going on, Coleman said that Moffat's been scattering clues to it since he took over as showrunner, so it's pretty big, and quite well planned.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Saw the Crimson Horror, and I do believe that was the best episode of the half season, possibly the whole season.  Tom-Tom jokes aside, it was a fun episode with some great guest stars.  Next up we have the Neil Gaiman episode revamping the Cybermen, and I am definitely looking forward to that, especially with the complications introduced at the end of this episode.

Talavar

Yep, definitely much stronger episode, which I'm glad to see.  If the next 2 episodes are as good as I hope, with Crimson Horror & Hide, that will actually keep S7 at a pretty good batting average.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm not sure if Nightmare in Silver made the Cybermen more scarey, but it definitely made them more interesting and a genuine threat, so that's a win in my book.  Plus Warwick Davis is awesome and for once her isn't a creature or monster.

Meanwhile the prequel for The Name of the Doctor is out and contains some intriguing new hints, especially the Doctor mentioning that she is too perfect of a companion.  This seems to hint that someone actually made her for that purpose.  I guess we'll find out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtaIpkjF6Ss&feature=youtu.be

I just saw a trailer in which Clara says "I was born to save the Doctor."  Interesting.

Tomato

Huh, so apparently they accidentally leaked the final episode by sending early copies of the dvds. innnteresting.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I heard about that.  They apparently released some of the US DVDs early  Unfortunately, my spoiler loving self can't find anyone with spoilers on it.  It's only one week though.

Apparently the BBC has offered to release a 10th/11th Doctor scene next week if the internet remains (relatively) spoiler free.    I must admit that to be a nice change in approach compared to what most media groups try to do.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Alright, the episode has been aired in Britain now, and although I haven't yet seen it, I'm a bit of a spoiler nut and have looked up the general story.  Whatever you thought Clara's thing was, it was wrong.  And don't worry, the Doctor's name is not actually revealed.  The title of the episode doesn't mean what you probably think it does.  Sounds like the episode doesn't disappoint.

For those who want to know and don't care about spoilers, here it is, but be warned, these are pretty massive spoilers.

Spoiler

Clara's just an ordinary human girl.  At least the one he's been traveling with the last few episodes is.  The Great Intelligence tries to go back through the Doctor's timeline and erase everything he every done, which Clara stops by scattering herself along the Doctor's timeline, creating multiple copies of herself all dedicated to protecting him.

As for the Doctor, he's not the Eleventh Doctor, he's the Twelfth.  His greatest secret isn't his name, it's the fact that there was an incarnation of him who did something so heinous--although apparently for good reason--that he actually gave up the name of the Doctor (hence the title) and just used his real name.  That's why the Doctor refused to reveal his name--it's associated with one of the universe's greatest villains, and he doesn't want anyone to know that it's him.  What this act is isn't revealed, but it seems the 50th will pick up with that.

Talavar

Interesting episode...
Spoiler
Cat's already said the major spoilers, but this episode is also probably the last appearance of River Song.  And the ending is a huge tease for the 50th anniversary special.  And John Hurt is the evil/whatever incarnation of the Doctor!  Spoilers!

Thunder

Something else that was interesting:
Spoiler
When the Great intelligence was listing the different names, one of them was the Valeyard.  that character appeared during Colin Baker's run (Trial of a time Lord).  It was a future version of the Doctor,even the Master states "The Valeyard, Doctor, is your penultimate reincarnation... Somewhere between your twelfth and thirteenth regeneration".

catwhowalksbyhimself

Which is really significant because we now know that

Spoiler

The current Doctor is the Twelfth incarnation.

Alright, just finished watching, and it does live up to its promises.  I love how Moffet played with our expectations and came up with an explanation for everything that no one had any clue about.  Looking forward to seeing how the 50th continues this story.

martialstorm

Loved the finale!
Great use of
Spoiler
the previous Doctors
and Clara.

The introduction of
Spoiler
John Hurt
was brilliant.

I just hope they include some of classic Doctors in the special, especially Paul McGann.

Podmark

So I am sad to say I've yet to start watching Doctor Who but I wanted to pass along some news I saw today:
Matt Smith Leaving Doctor Who
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Yep, after the Xmas special apparently.   :(

catwhowalksbyhimself

BBC said he will regenerate at the end of the Christmas special.

cmdrkoenig67

I'm rather bummed that he's leaving.

Dana

thalaw2

I read Paris Jackson wants the starring role.
革命不会被电视转播

MJB

I don't get the joke. A young girl attempts suicide = funny Doctor Who joke?

Podmark

Quote from: MJB on June 08, 2013, 03:46:31 AM

Not a joke. A day or two before she made a post on twitter indicating she was interested in the role.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Quote from: Podmark on June 08, 2013, 05:02:38 PM
Quote from: MJB on June 08, 2013, 03:46:31 AM

Not a joke. A day or two before she made a post on twitter indicating she was interested in the role.

Weird.

thalaw2

Exactly.  I wouldn't joke about a kid attempting suicide.
革命不会被电视转播

martialstorm

Interesting to see some of the rumored actors in the mix for the part, who would you suggest to play the time lord?

Btw, I'm also sad to see Matt go...

Talavar

I find a lot of the names being bandied about, particularly in the media, are people who are already way too famous, and wouldn't have time to play the Doctor (Idris Elba, Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman, Helen Mirren) in anything beyond a one-off appearance.  The reason both Matt Smith and David Tennant left, after all, was that they wanted to pursue other projects, and Doctor Who's shooting schedule is too rigorous to allow much leeway. 

Personally, I hope they cast another talented near-unknown.  After all, I had no idea who Tennant or Smith were before they were cast as the Doctor either, and thought both were great.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Gaiman wrote an article (which I don't have the link for, sorry to say) saying that it should be an unknown.  I agree with him.

GhostMachine

My choices for The Doctor, if they don't go with an unknown:

Sean Pertwee - Would be cool seeing the son of an actor who played the Doctor also playing the Doctor. (Would also be a good choice to play the 3rd Doctor; just slap a wig on him)

David Tennant - Something screwy happens, and due to the Tenth Doctor fighting the regeneration into Eleven, when Eleven regenerates....he's back!

Robert Carlyle - Won't happen, since he's doing Once Upon A Time. He's also make a darn good Master, but I'd rather see him playing the Doctor.

Idris Elba or Adrian Lester - If they decide to go with a black Doctor

Damien Molony - Being Human is done, but he's apparently going to join the cast of Ripper Street

Paul Bettany - But only if when he leaves, his regeneration is caused by him being hit by an aging ray that turns him into Malcolm McDowell, who then jumps off a building. (Doubt anyone will get the reference, but what the heck.....)

Chuck Norris - Its about time we get another Doctor that can kick some butt! (And yes, this is my joke answer)

I've heard rumors of Rupert Grint or Russell Tovey possibly getting the role, and if either does, I'm done with the show until they leave. I could see Tovey as a companion (maybe even reprising the role he already played on the show?), but NOT as the Doctor.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Anyone that's well known enough to be discussed in this thread should not be chosen.  I'd rather it be an almost total unknown.

Tomato

Quote from: GhostMachine on July 10, 2013, 11:03:00 PM
My choices for The Doctor, if they don't go with an unknown:

Sean Pertwee - Would be cool seeing the son of an actor who played the Doctor also playing the Doctor. (Would also be a good choice to play the 3rd Doctor; just slap a wig on him)

David Tennant - Something screwy happens, and due to the Tenth Doctor fighting the regeneration into Eleven, when Eleven regenerates....he's back!

Robert Carlyle - Won't happen, since he's doing Once Upon A Time. He's also make a darn good Master, but I'd rather see him playing the Doctor.

Idris Elba or Adrian Lester - If they decide to go with a black Doctor

Damien Molony - Being Human is done, but he's apparently going to join the cast of Ripper Street

Paul Bettany - But only if when he leaves, his regeneration is caused by him being hit by an aging ray that turns him into Malcolm McDowell, who then jumps off a building. (Doubt anyone will get the reference, but what the heck.....)

Chuck Norris - Its about time we get another Doctor that can kick some butt! (And yes, this is my joke answer)

I've heard rumors of Rupert Grint or Russell Tovey possibly getting the role, and if either does, I'm done with the show until they leave. I could see Tovey as a companion (maybe even reprising the role he already played on the show?), but NOT as the Doctor.

I'm gonna be the voice of descent on David Tennant coming back: I loved him when he was on, but he's made his mark on the character already. It would greatly disappoint me if they brought him back as anything more than a cameo, because it'd be nothing more than fan baiting. In retrospect, the way Tennant left it was perfect: he said goodbye to everying and everyone from the series, the moment he regenerates it heartbreaking, and the musical score is some of my favorite from the whole series. Bringing him back spits in the face of that, and I would be extremely upset about it.

Epimethee

I'd certainly be interested to see Paul Bettany as the Dr. Underrated actor whose style fits this kind of character.
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com