FFX Rumble Room works with one character, not with another

Started by Angry Red Herring, September 23, 2012, 03:42:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angry Red Herring

With the death of CoH, I'm dusting off all my old FF stuff, and also migrating stuff to Third Reich.  I've converted all my nifs. I've ported over and branded all my hero files. Everything seemed to finally be up to speed. Noticing that my point totals are now completely wonky when compared to the FF versions, I started at the top of my list and began tweaking characters one by one.

So I've been using Action mode in the Rumble Room to test guys. But when I went to test my Angel, no enemies would load-- no arrows, no action. I tried other maps/modes, nothing. I switched back to the guy I had tested just before Angel, and things were working properly; but back to Angel again and no enemies.

At this point I have to explain my quirky naming convention, because I think it may have something to do with this. To keep my guys sorted by hero or villain and level of power, I named them (the majority of them, anyway) first with an initial of H or V,  then point total, then character name. So, for example, my Superman is named "H 30k - Superman". This keeps all the heroes at the top of the list, all villains at the bottom, then sorted by point total, then alphabetically. When playing multiplayer, we stuck to  "tiers" of points when deciding who to throw against each other. These point tiers were 7.5k, 10k, 15k, 20k, 30k and the rare 50k (a Darkseid or Doom type).

So! My least powered guys were usually mutants, one-power wonders, etc., and that's the portion of the list wherein Angel falls.  His label is "H 07,5k - Angel" (I had to use a comma instead of a decimal because, obviously, the decimal point would wreck the filename). The guy I tested before Angel is "FFX Wisp". Wisp worked; Angel didn't. And neither did any of the "H 07,5k" filenames.  When I got down to "H 10k - Atom" everything worked again (and others on this list have worked fine too; "H 15k - Spiderman", etc.).

SO! I try renaming Angel, to just "Angel".  No go, no enemies load. So I try remaking him from scratch, name him "Angel", same mesh/skin.  It works.

So... what is it I'm doing that's screwing up the rumble room? I thought it must be the filenames because (so far) it's only the "H 07,5k's" that are causing the error, but renaming the character didn't fix the issue; only recreating from scratch did.  I also don't see the big difference between "H 07,5k" and "H 15k" beyond the zero and the comma, but is there something I'm overlooking that's causing the enemies to fail to load?

And, oh, yeah. HI EVERYBODY! LONG TIME NO SEE!

hoss20

I'm just throwing in a couple of ideas, so bear with me.

I don't think FFVTTR plays well with commas in the character names. I know that you've tried changing the names to eliminate that, but that brings me to a possible second issue. There's something about the way a hero file is saved. I'm assuming that you are using a hero editor. If you change a hero's name in the editor and then save it, no problem. If you manually change a hero file name or in the Save or Save As window of the editor, you decide to rename the hero file, it may cause problems. I think the nuts and bolts of it is: if you alter a hero file outside of the game or an editor, it only changes the name. All of the data, including the name the game uses, stays the same. So, if you change change "Char A" to "Char B" manually in Windows, then you will see "Char B" in game, but the game is still reading it as "Char A".

It's late here, so I'm sorry if I just completely babbled on for no reason. I'm sure one of the great coders, FFX guys, or someone who is better acquainted with the FFVTTR engine can do a better job of helping out.

Angry Red Herring

THREE YEARS LATER...

...reinstalling my FF stuff AGAIN,  I see I never replied to this post.  I checked my calendar from around this date in 2012, and life had gotten pretty hectic then, effectively killing my FF play. Recent experimentation has shown, though, that you were likely right in that it was the commas in those names making everything go wonky back then. So, very belated thanks.

Normally I don't bring posts back from the dead like this, but I saw your unthanked reply and thought, well, THAT was damn rude...

hoss20

I appreciate that you're conscious of doing a necropost, but in this case, I don't think anyone can criticize you. I'm very grateful that you saw it appropriate to give me a belated thanks. I'm also glad to hear that my advice helped and, hopefully will help, as you get your Freedom Force collections back in order. You are very welcome and welcome back to the boards.