News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Fundament Zero comics

Started by DrMike2000, December 09, 2012, 05:50:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrMike2000

I'm back on schedule with my weekly blog. This week I talk about the plant kingdom, and my experiences with drawing them.
Read all about it in Vegetable Matters at www.fundamentzero.com

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

More Universe Gun next weekend, with Chapter 3: Chasing the Rainbow!

In the meantime, this week's blog looks at a few recent character sketches, and some experiments away from my tablet with >gulp!< real pens!

At www.fundamentzero.com

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

bdrake

Hey i recently read a comic in which the hero dies and passes his mantle to  another, the hero was silversomething, but the art looked a lot like your, other characters were boy genuis and astonishingman ,who ive seen on here as a skin. anyway great work

bdrake

Hyper actives was the name of the comic and the scene with a alernate version of the team was what made me think you were involved

DrMike2000

Cool. Yeah, I'd never heard of Hyperactives until today, let alone drawn them. I had a quick Google search, but couldn't find any of the alternative world scenes.
The main art looks to be very J Scott Campbell influenced - all the girls have the same nose. :)

Universe Gun is the first actual long form comic I've produced, so its really nice to hear that I'm reminding you of some proper commercial work. Thanks!
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

bdrake

my mistake but i still consider you as profesional as any  established comic artist, always enjoyed  your style in your games.

DrMike2000

Chapter 3 is up! Issue 1: Mars concludes with "Chasing the Rainbow" as we delve into the seedy world of recreational superpower use and policing.

At www.fundamentzero.com

(Photo of my psychedelic studio included in the blog!)
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

JKCarrier

Loving your style on these -- it's like you threw Moebius, Jack Kirby, and Zap Comix in a blender.  :lol:

DrMike2000

Haha, now that's a cool description! Thanks, JK!

(And thanks too for your support on Facebook, its much appreciated.)
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

This week I've added a Links section to the front page of www.fundamentzero.com

There's also a tweaked layout to www.universegun.com and a new blog entry about the amazing movies of Tarsem Singh.

More Universe Gun talk next week!
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

Epimethee

Very nice. Interesting article about Singh. The only movie I saw was Immortals, which might be the worst movie I ever saw in a theatre with the Clash of the Titans remake. Mind you, this was mostly due to the awful story and dialog, and poor casting. As its script was written by different people, I guess I'll do have to check The Fall. :)
FFX add-on for FFvsTTR at ffx.freedomforceforever.com

DrMike2000

Yeah, Immortals had some cool visual bits, like the minotaur and labyrinth, and the caged titans in Tartarus, and the first appearance of the oracles, but the story was very by-the-numbers and toned down. The fact that all the Gods, even Zeus, looked around 20 didn't help lend it any gravitas either. It was like watching a really good comics artist illustrate a really poor script. I was hugely disappointed by it.

The Fall and The Cell, on the other hand, are two of my absolute favourites. (The Cell also features a young skinny Vince Vaughn in a non-comedy role. :) )
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

What is Psychedelia?

This week's blog at www.fundamentzero.com discusses what I mean when I say I'm writing a psychedelic superhero comic.

(And on a far more mundane note, I'm using Wordpress and now on Twitter - link is on the main page of my site)
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

What do Superheroes eat?

A new blog entry delves into the murky world of metahuman mealtimes on fundmanetzero.com!

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

MJB

DrMike2000

Thanks, MJB.  The feeling's mutual - after all, you're up in the Links section on Fundament Zero!

A midweek blog this time round, where I discuss Space Travel, get a bit sniffy about the physics and diss Captain Kirk!

Check out www.fundamentzero.com for details!

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

A few more sketches, and a new blog entry on simple lighting effects.
Playing with Light - up at www.fundamentzero.com

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

More blogginess at www.fundamentzero.com as I discuss maths, superheroes and 1970's fashion. Tales of the Navigator players may remember references to the art of Algebra Cadabra, I haven't quite let go of those ideas still.
Late last year I wrote and drew a 9 page black and white strip called "Pazuzu!", a sort of sci-fi mathematical Dr Strange story, if you like. It's been picked up by the Indie Comics Quarterly anthology to be published in late May! More about that in the blog.

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

Extremities - drawing hands and feet! Can't make a comic with 'em, can't make one without 'em!
And speaking of hands, here's the hand-centric cover for Universe Gun #2, which kicks off next week!

All at www.fundamentzero.com
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

More Universe Gun!

Issue #2 kicks off today with Monsters of the Heroic Age!

Where? At www.universegun.com of course, but also at drmike2000comics.tumblr.com

Delve into the mysteries of the Life Star, and QMAC, the organisation dedicated to shielding the Earth from it!

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

Master fantasy artist Patrick Woodroffe died this month. I look back at his work and the impact it had on me in my latest blog at www.fundamentzero.com

And on an unrelated note, here's a picture of the Wizard of Oz gang!

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

JKCarrier

Oh, that's brilliant! It took me a minute to remember what "Zardoz" actually stood for...  :lol:
I hadn't heard about Woodroffe, that's a great shame. I can see the influence on your work, the tone at least if not the actual style.

DrMike2000

Thanks, JK.
Yeah, I'd forgotten that Zardoz was an abbreviation for the Wizard of Oz the second time I watched it, it surprised me again. I was very happy when this idea occurred to me for  a weekly draw-off with Oz as the topic. :)

Woodroffe's death was I think overshadowed a bit by H.R. Giger a couple of days after. Both great artists, but Giger was associated with some massive film properties, like Alien. Its funny, I wonder what a science fiction movie with Woodroffe at the helm would have looked like? Off the top of my head, Terry Gilliam and Marc Caro (City of Lost Children) probably come closest in style and tone.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

Would you Adam and Eve it? I discuss the recurring symbols of women bearing pieces of fruit in my latest blog at ww.fundamentzero.com
It all started mistakenly with this science fiction Maleficent sketch.

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

It's been a busy week.
There's just a quick blog update this weekend, and 8 new sketches added to the front page.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

Amazing Architecture

How do you design a city of the future? Go to www.fundamentzero.com to see how I did just that for Universe Gun

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

Higher Dimensions and a short side project? Read all about it at www.fundamentzero.com in this week's blog entry Lost in Phase Space!

Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

UnkoMan

Dr. Mike, I just wanted to say I read through Universe Gun and I absolutely love it.
Not only is your art style funky rad, but your character designs are a perfect blend of classic and psychedelic, and your world building is superb.
Don't ever stop!

DrMike2000

Thanks, Unkoman!
It's great to hear that people like what I'm doing here, and that it makes sense beyond the echo chamber of my head. I'll be working on a Universe Gun poster tonight, now with renewed energy thanks to you taking the time to write!

I'm in no danger of stopping soon. I've got another four 7 page chapters ready to publish already, and plan to keep this up for a few more years. I'm estimating 10 issues = 210 pages all up by the time I'm finished with Universe Gun.
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com

DrMike2000

I've installed new comic reader code on my site, and written a short blog on today's life drawing adventures.

Where? Why, www.fundamentzero.com of course!
Stranger Than Fiction:
www.fundamentzero.com