Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Lego Marvel Super Heroes

Started by BlueBard, January 08, 2013, 08:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueBard

STO/CO: @bluegeek

laughing paradox

I read the article in this month's Game Informer about this, and it seems really fun. I look forward to it.

Glitch Girl

Early gameplay footage is up.  It's obviously rough in spots (like titlecards and missing soundtrack) but it does have gameplay and some cutscene dialogue in the vein of Lego Batman 2

http://youtu.be/tXN9OAJyKlA

I like that Hulk's transformation into Banner is an actual gameplay element. 

I'm hearing an October release date.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Outcast

It's actually my first time to see these superhero Lego games in action. They are quite cute. The scene looks like a continuation from the Avengers movie. Only this time, Spider-man gets to be in it too. :P The scene where the Hulk and Abomination (who i didn't recognize at first) were slugging it off each other made me laugh. :lol: And yeah, the Hulk transforming to Banner and then back to the Hulk again when it was convenient was pretty amusing too. It looks like a pretty entertaining game. :)

Glitch Girl

Official Teaser
http://youtu.be/sYAXHqCM-b4

I love everyone's expression towards the end when you-know-who shows up.  The Deadpool Umbrella is adorable.
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Glitch Girl

New Trailer.  It makes me smile
http://youtu.be/Nvpug0_-xAQ

"Doctor Doom's Doom Ray... OF DOOM!"    :thumbup:

"I'm going to spangle you until you see stars!"  :doh:

And Lego Squirrel Girl throws squirrels.   :thumbup:

Also, some more art including Zola, Jameson, and Ghost Rider.
http://comicsalliance.com/lego-marvel-superheroes-gamescon-trailer-story-video-galactus/
-Glitch Girl

spydermann93

laughing paradox

This game is going to be stellar. I can't wait to try it out.

Tomato

Played the Demo. Can't wait to play this... though sadly I may have to wait for christmas, to give my family something to gift me.

Glitch Girl

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/lego_marvel_super_heroes/b/ps3/archive/2013/10/22/game-informer-review-lego-marvel-super-heroes.aspx
Early review includes LOTS of gameplay (cameos by Lego MODOK and Howard the Duck)

Edit: And now it's mine, ALL MINE! 

Just started playing so this shouldn't be too spoilery...

- Hulk is REALLY fun to play. 
- Mr Fantastic is hilarious.  Must check to see if who I think is voicing him is voicing him.
- Some of the achievements are very strange.  I already got the "Turn Mr Fantastic into a Teapot" one.  Also, there's one called "Really?" you get for unlocking Howard the Duck, and one called "The Toast of Croydon" where  you "Create a character called 'Trevor' in the character customizer"
- You get to missions by jumping off the helicarrier.  Seriously.

-Glitch Girl

JeyNyce

I got the game this afternoon and it seems that they took a lot from the Lego Batman games and expanded on it.  Saving Stan Lee is too funny, he ends up the in the stranges spots
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Glitch Girl

I've been playing this far more than I should since I got it.  Some more random thoughts...

- The free roam is extremely fun.  Just exploring and finding random quests to do can keep me entertained for hours.  I can't say how street accurate their version of NYC is, but it feels close. 
- The regular levels are rather nice and in a few cases like Asgard, kinda beautiful.
- Yes, Howard the Duck is playable.  He has a bazooka.
- Some of the side missions are dependent on completing other side missions first.  Example: to get Professor X, you have to assist him in his teaching three different times.  The same for Gambit, Captain Britain, and Black Panther, and probably the Punisher, though I haven't finished his quest chain yet.  BTW: Those missions that lead up to the end of the chain all have rewards so it's not like you're doing them for nothing.
- Mr. Tiddles.  You just have to see it.
- Lego Rescue has little pink hearts and stars in her vapor trail and laser aura in case you didn't realize she was female.
- Vehicle controls are taking some getting used to since they're a little different from previous games. 
- Flying controls have been completely changed from Lego Batman 2, but still could use some fine tuning.  Since the accelerate button is the same as the gain-altitude button, sometimes you go zipping off in unexpected directions.
- Character creator works best when you have a lot of characters unlocked and purchased as it draws pieces from that pool.  You have to pay attention as to which pieces have powers tied to them if you want a specific power set.  I'll be posting a few of my character codes lower down.
- Big Fig character customization however is a big disappointment.  You get versions of each of the unlocked big figs (like Hulk and Venom), and you can change their overall color from one of 4 choices.  that's it. 
- By chapter 13, you can pretty much solve 90% or more of the free-roam quests. That's when you get Magneto.  Even so, after chapter 5 you can do some pretty decent free-roaming as you get your first fire-user.  I also got the Leader around this point who you can use as a telepath, which unlocks a LOT of stuff.
- Stan Lee being menaced by a gorilla on top of a building.  That is all.
- Speaking of Stan Lee in trouble, Jey is right, he ends up in some VERY strange spots.  Oddly enough, one of my favorites is where he's just standing there humming, completely oblivious of the construction equipment dangling above his head.
- Red Brick are all found in the freeplay of mini-missions that are unlocked by gathering enough gold bricks, then going to the appropriate building.  (I can't remember which I unlocked first, Marvel Comics or the Daily Bugle, but it was one of those.)  Each mission starts and ends with a mini comic narrated by Deadpool.  The first one I played was where Agent Coulson and Doc Ock clean up the Bugle.
- Minikits don't build anything this time, but getting all 10 in a mission unlocks a 2 page comic of your adventure readable in Deadpool's room.
- There is a very Ghostbusters 2 moment in the later acts.
- Minifigure versions of the Destroyer, a Sentinel, and Lady Liberty are all playable.
- Some of the mission dialogue is just too goofy.
- The dialogue on the full sized Sentinels is very funny.
- "Don't they know that helicopters EXPLODE when they land on a malformed H?!"
- Haven't done many races (as I said, still getting used to the controls) but in most of them, you have to supply your own vehicle.
- Still haven't found Squirrel Girl.
- FINALLY got my preorder bonus to work.  Turns out Gamestop entered the codes wrong so after multiple phone calls to Sony and Gamestop, I finally got my answer.  It's a good selection of characters, a couple of vehicles, and supposedly some new races, though I haven't finished enough of the old races to know which ones are new.
- I wanted to do a little exploring wednesday night, just poke around the city a little bit.  It's amazing how fast 2:00 am approaches when you're lost in NYC.  :)
-  The game isn't without bugs.  So far I've had one where it dorked up my custom character during a level, popping Green Goblin's hat on her and messing with her powers so that her arms disappeared when she was flying.  There's also be multiple cases where NPCs will be wandering around in the ground up to their shoulders.  One sidequest had the person I was supposed to lead through a maze stuck outside of said maze (leaving and coming back later seemed to fix this).  There are also occasional framerate hiccups as surrounding areas load.  So far, none of these have been gamebreaking, but they are there.
EDIT: Scratch that.  The minimission in Dr. Strange's house has locked on  me twice in the same spot.  THAT is going to be a problem.
Overall, I love this thing.  I'm almost to 50% and it is so much fun.

And those character codes... Hopefully I won't be the only one sharing these.  Wasn't trying to recreate anyone in particular, just trying to make something fun.
KHKzqYPHPz - Female mystic type
MSPJczDHzZ -  Not sure what to classify this guy as, but the name "Fireclaw" works.
DRXjczWKCk - An archer type

-Glitch Girl

laughing paradox

I've been playing this with my nephew and it's a lot of fun!

I think the X-men level so far has been my favorite. I loved using those characters.

Starman

This game is charming and it's a real love letter to the Marvel comics.

I really wish someone would make a DC or Marvel game like this without the stylised Lego character design and more realistic Grand Theft Auto-style graphics. That would be bananas.

Glitch Girl

Hit 100% at long last! That was fun.

Random post-game Observations:
  • Be sure to explore the ENTIRE map.  Took me a while to find the last brick and character; turns out they were over open water.
  • Do NOT use Invisible Woman to fight Dormammu in the Dr. Strange "Stranger Danger" minilevel: It caused my game to freeze 4 times because of something with her shield vs his beam attack.  You can use her through most of it (and have to), but the very end is where the problem is.  Johnny's a better choice for that fight anyway.
  • My friend and I usually truck through storymode together on these games before doing free roam, but last time we got together, we spent two hours just exploring the city independently. 
  • I will be very surprised if someone doesn't try to make a GTA mod for this for the PC version. The "borrow a car" mechanic is already in there.
  • SHIELD staff cars hover.  Apparently this is standard issue.  :)
  • "You know what my act needs?  A Lion.  I know that sounds crazy but such is the way of jazz"
  • Aunt May is playable, and she's Deadpool's quest chain reward.  Somehow, this seems very appropriate.  Sadly, she does not turn into Golden Oldie.
  • To win at the Shield Go-Cart race, you have to be a bad sportsman.  Basically, before the race started, I nudged Hill's car back  and then once it started, rammed her a few times.  This was the only way I found to beat it.
  • Stan Lee in Peril is cute.  Another notable appearance: being clamped to the railroad tracks in an area where the screen turns black and white like a silent film when you find him.
  • So. Many. Races.  :wacko:
  • Speaking of which, the timed air race that starts off the side of the Helicarrier felt like it went on forever.  It starts in the sky, goes down to the city, into a tunnel, and along the railroad tracks for what seemed like half the island. 
  • Also, speaking of which, I had the best luck with races using the Hot Rod or Stark's Sports Car.  Good speed, decent steering, and enough mass to get occasionally plow through other cars.
  • My preorder pack came with Spider-Buggy, which is a pretty good vehicle, and Hawkeye's Air Cycle which I have yet to even START a race with because the thing is made out of tissue paper.  Seriously, it steers like a cow, and if you so much as tap a building, it explodes.  There are many air vehicles that are much better, though I don't recommend using any of them for racing really - Most flying characters without wings will do just fine.
  • the Million Studs level is probably the most forgiving they've done in a while.
  • L'il Galactus and L'il Destroyer and L'il Sentinel are adorable.
  • Full-sized Sentinel has funny dialogue.
  • On custom characters, the head you use seems to dictate the voice which is nice. 
  • Sadly, the creator is a bit buggy, even with everything unlocked.  I was trying to create Ghost (from Dark Horse), and this caused some very weird stuff to happen.  I'm hoping there might be a patch eventually.
  • Even so, I was able to create reasonable facsimiles of Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman and Nightcrawler (though the powers are wrong). 
  • Why doesn't Rescue have missiles or heat beam?  Is there an in-comic reason for this?
  • Magneto's time out animation is funny.  A metal lego frying pan appears out of nowhere, smacks him in the face and sticks there until he pries it loose.
  • Venom's and Carnage's  time out is kinda cute and creepy at the same time.  Seriously, juggling Lego skulls?
  • Actually I recommend letting each character stand around a bit, some of the timeouts are quite clever.
  • The plot isn't anything that notable, but at least the characterization was more accurate than MUA2.
  • Stan doesn't get ALL the powers, but he does get most.  Some he doesn't get: Cap's shield throw (for unlocking things), electricity, venom and sand portals, freeze beam.
  • Seriously, Taskmaster can't throw his shield?
  • Squirrel Girl and Ant Man both have an ability that covers themselves in critters of their namesake.  I have yet to find a use for this.
  • I ended up doing about 2 playthroughs because I got to 98% on my first one and somehow managed to get 11 out of 10 canisters on a level.  Since the game read 11 as "not equal to 10", it wouldn't unlock one of the comics for me.  Since I mostly had races left, I decided to start a new game to be sure I could get the 100%.
  • I was wondering why I could turn into Peter Parker, until I got to the Bugle mini-missions.  Cute.
-Glitch Girl

Podmark

I've never actually played any of the Lego games, but I might try this one day. Sounds like fun.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

spydermann93

I just got this game, and I'm loving it so far!

The developers have done an excellent job catching the essence of each of the characters that they have thrown into the game.  And GG is right; there are parts where it feels like LEGO Grand Theft Auto, but in a really good way.

It is loads of fun swinging through New York City as Spider-Man or flying as the speed of sound as Iron Man.  Tons of fun, and I've only scratched the surface!

Talavar

Got it for Xmas.  It's my favourite Lego game in some time.

Tomato

finally hit 100% on this. That was a wild ride.

SickAlice

I adored this obviously and would probably play every Lego game if I could find the time. I've been a
part of a group of people who have been deconstructing the game engines to come up with better modding
options/tools for these games as opposed to the injection method that's still present now if that says
anything of the obsession. Since my positives would probably be slanted I'll point to some quirks that
made things unfavorable.

- The big pay-off for winning the game...amounts to an advert for Marvel movies (Thor 2 and GOTG).
Remember to drink your Ovaltine indeed eh Ralphie? Sigh.

- The customizer has some new options which is nice, but is still below the level it could be at to make
it worth ones time. This is Lego after all, and the base of that is the ability to build using ones imagination
so I don't feel the ability to do so should be so lacking in a game based on the franchise? You can't use number
characters for names (so X-23 became Judy since I was frisky), large characters can only be recolored clones of
other in game ones, and despite the fact that the game has a volume of minifig bits to draw on one is limited to
less than whats used for the initial character roster again. The option to merge two characters abilities can be
convenient if ones doesn't feel like switching characters in some challenges, but is otherwise sort of useless and
moot by the fact that many of the characters powers just cancel out others. There's several glitches that give you
the wrong powers (certain characters share parts), and ends up as a neat exploit to unlock powers early however
(Cosmic Power can be used VERY early in the game, as of unlocking Sue Storm for one example).

- This game is riddled with flaws. It's enough to say that the patches released already amount to as much or better
the size of the original game itself. For a veteran game company working with the same engine but upgraded that's kind
of unacceptable. Especially when they're the " start over " type of glitches.

- The DLC is as usual non-traditional for TT Games. See TT Games doesn't have real DLC content. If you peak into the
games files you'll see that the content was already in the game from the start (I first noticed this with LB2DCSH).
When you do the DLC it just drops a key patch in the directory to unlock them proper. If your knowhow is up to it
you can just unlock them straight away by editing a line of code or two. The magic sort of loses the appeal when you
know the trick behind it in otherwords, and it kind of grinds one to see them making other buyers jump through hoops
just to get this content which as always amounts to clones of other in game characters at the end of the day.

- Many characters are clones speaking of. This isn't a bad thing but what is is that a few of the characters don't have
their powersets proper. Ronan the Accuser can't fly in this game. Red Hulk has no heat generation powers to say the least
and amounts to a red clone of Hulk. Rescue doesn't have magnetic powers like she should and amounts to an Iron Man clone.
Superior Spider-man gets a powers pass I guess but they could have made something different than Spider-man, like a Spider-bot
to deploy or something. What I caught with him though is he has the wrong legs. Where he should have four spider-like legs
extending from his backpiece, in the game he has Doc Ock tentacles instead. This leads me to believe the developers never
bothered to research some of these characters and it probable they just got an image or two of some of the characters to
work off. That wouldn't mean anything normally, but this is a character driven game and those characters are present for
the comic fan who knows who they are in the first place. That sort of makes the point of their being there moot. I'd like
to think in this day and age of gaming and such we would past the whole " using something subpar plus your imagination to
pretend it's the character in question " thing.
Really great and fun game, but a few things could be improved and desired. Mainly the mine field of glitches. That ticked

many gamers who aren't familiar with workarounds and exploits off.

Talavar

Is there any way to fly properly as Magneto, Jean Grey or Storm?  Magneto especially flies all over the place when you fight him, and even when he's your computer controlled helper he can fly, but whenever I play as any of these characters, the best they can do is hover across the ground.

Also, are there any characters with the crazy utility of Super-Skrull?  Invisibility, flight, heat beam, stretchiness and super strength.  Is he the only non-big fig with super strength?

SickAlice

Nup. Hovering is about all those three do.

For utility your best to mix one up in the customizer. Stan Lee obviously has a mess if powers.
She-Hulk is a normal size figure with hulk strength off the top of my head, but not really versatile of course. Super Skrull is one of the top best playables in the game IMO.