News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

First Expansion!!! Woohoo!!!

Started by Thunder, March 21, 2013, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thunder

I really like this game.  I was disheartened a bit when I originally realized that Romulans weren't playable and Klingons didn't have a full 50 levels to play.  But I ended up being as lifetime subscriber..then I hget a link in an email today" http://sto.perfectworld.com/legacyofromulus.  New expansion in May with a full new faction and a fleshing out of Klingon content!  W00T!!!!!! 

I always liked the Romulans better than Klingons anyway.  But we are also supposed to be able to play Remans as well.  Looking forward to playing as a Romulan and maybe teaming with some new SubCommanders when the content goes live.

Lionheart

And the fact that they list Klingons as being able to level 1-50 now as well is great. If they have solid story content, they'll become a viable faction for me as well. I'm not much on "endgame". I prefer episode/mission/quest content to.

According to CaptainGeko, this expansion is about four times the size of a normal Season update. It will be interesting to see what all is involved and how the factions are fleshed out.

GhostMachine

Yes, but....does expansion = have to pay for it? I joined STO because of the F2P aspect and have bought some game cards for it in the past (and used Paypal once), but I don't plan on dropping any more money on it than I already have.

Unless it comes with character slots, my Orion Female KDF character is going to be targeted for deletion so I can play a Romulan. (I only made a KDF character to gain extra dil to convert to Zen, and only log it on to do duty officer missions, so she is expendable)

Lionheart

Branflakes (the community manager) has posted on the forums that it is a free expansion. They're just calling it an expansion because it is far larger than a standard release.

BlueBard

Does anyone here have any interest in starting our own Romulan fleet?
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Thunder

I love the Romulans.  Count me in!

BlueBard

Quote from: Thunder on March 27, 2013, 09:05:35 PM
I love the Romulans.  Count me in!

Just to clarify here...  I am considering the possibility of starting a Romulan fleet as a related fleet to our existing Federation Reborn fleet.

But I really don't want to have to repeat the experience I had starting Federation Reborn... There was little or no interest from the FR Community, I had to basically bribe a bunch of people to form a five-man team in order to start it, and we ended up with about 4 active or semi-active players and a bunch of irregulars who rarely (or never) log in.

If I can't round up at least five committed players to start it, I'm not interested in trying to run it.  And I'd be just as happy to join a fleet that someone else starts.  Small fleets really struggle in this game, and leaders of small fleets have to work hard or the fleet stagnates.

On the plus side, Legacy of Romulus will be new and lots of people will be starting new Romulan characters.  There won't be any existing Romulan fleets when it launches.  The fleets that start up and organize early will get a huge jump on the ones that try to form six months from May.

BlueBard

Ok, turns out that the Romulan faction storyline is actually tied into the backstory for the Cloaked Intentions FE series and New Romulus.  Makes sense, right?

And at a certain point Romulan characters will be able to ally with either the Federation or the KDF, including being able to team up to run their content and join their fleets.  Sounds like Romulan fleets may be possible, but they won't have their own starbases.

I'm less enthusiastic about that, but from Cryptic's perspective it's win-win and a very clever way of handling it.  We'll have to wait for more details from Cryptic.

Lionheart

Quote from: BlueBard on April 01, 2013, 01:12:46 PMI'm less enthusiastic about that, but from Cryptic's perspective it's win-win and a very clever way of handling it.  We'll have to wait for more details from Cryptic.

I'll take it when considering that some of the early discussion involved making them a mini-endgame-faction, where they had to join (not ally themselves with) either Fed or KDF. Not being a raider or PvPer, this held no interest for me at all.

Having a fleshed out storyline and 40 levels of faction-specific content sounds much better to me. I look forward to giving it a try.