News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Batman: Arkham Origins

Started by Midnite, April 09, 2013, 03:42:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

Source link

QuoteRumors began circulating last year that the next entry in the "Arkham" games would be an origin story and Game Informer has revealed that those rumors were in fact true. Titled Batman: Arkham Origins, the game will take place before the previous two games in the series and will detail Batman's first time meeting with several characters. One of the developers on the game described its plot as follows:

"Eight of the best assassins in the world have come to Gotham City for one night, Christmas Eve of all nights, to kill the Bat."

Though not confirmed, it would appear the game will take place in and around Gotham City in an open-world environment like the previous game, "Arkham City."

Fans will notice that the biggest difference between this and the previous "Arkham" games is that Rocksteady is not developing the title. Instead, Warner Bros. Games Montreal has been given the reigns of the franchise. Batman: Arkham Origins will be available for the Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC on October 25, 2013.

They've also announced that the first handheld entry in the franchise will be available on the same day. Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate will launch for the 3DS and PS Vita and is a different experience that picks up after the events of Batman: Arkham Origins.

Check out Game Informer's cover of the game for the first look at one of the franchise's newest villains, Deathstroke, as well as the game's official logo below!

catwhowalksbyhimself

The concept sounds okay, but not being made by Rocksteady?  That kills a lot of my interest right there.  The doesn't mean I'll refuse to play it or anything, but I probably won't be grabbing it right away.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Podmark

More Arkham games is a good thing in my book. As it's not by Rocksteady, and I suspect it's being done in a short time frame, my expectations are tempered but supposedly the new developer has access to Rocksteady's engine so it should still be a fun game. Personally the story is my biggest concern.

I loved the first two games, I'm hoping this will give me more of the same enjoyment.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Yep, story is by far one of the best features of the series.  Both games have been excellently crafted.  The absence of Rocksteady gives me pause.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Honestly my fears as far as the story goes have less to do with the absence of Rocksteady (though that doesn't help) and more to do with the lack of Paul Dini, who was a major voice in the animated series and both Arkham games. Arkham's crafted what I would consider to be the definitive version of several characters (not only enhancing the characters of Joker, Quinn, and Batman from the animated series, but also redefining characters like Riddler and Penquin) in no small part because of Paul Dini's involvement.

catwhowalksbyhimself

I agree that Arkham City's versions of Penguin and Riddler are great takes on both characters, probably the best I've seen.

But yeah, if Dini's not involved, that makes it even worse.

detourne_me

Let's think about this here for a second...
No Paul Dini
No Rocksteady
but
A new Batman game built off a VERY solid foundation
Revealed enemies include Deathstroke, Penguin, and Black Mask
It's a prequel so the dev team doesn't need to get too crazy by adding new features
Yeah, it's still an instabuy for me.

Tomato

Oh, don't get me wrong, I plan to at least buy the main game, though I might pass on the portable ones. I'm just not as enthusiastic as I would be if Paul Dini were helming it.

Midnite

Rocksteady Gives Their Blessing to Batman: Arkham Origins

QuoteIt was revealed yesterday that the next entry in the 'Arkham' franchise, Batman: Arkham Origins, will be released later this year and what caused concern for many fans was that developer Rocksteady was not on the project. Instead, Warner Bros. Games Montreal has been tasked with bringing the game to life. Fans will be glad to hear that Rocksteady has given Warner Bros. Games Montreal their blessing for the game.
"Rocksteady is excited to see WB Games Montreal developing the prequel to the Batman Arkham franchise," said Sefton Hill, director of the first two "Arkham" games, to Game Informer (via CVG). "We are confident this talented team will craft a fantastic experience, bringing the origins of the Arkhamverse to life."

Batman: Arkam Origins will see eight of the best assassins in the world come to Gotham City for one night, Christmas Eve, to try and kill Batman. With even some of the Gotham's finest turning against him, the prequel story will force the Dark Knight to forge relationships with characters for the first time and find out why so many want him dead.

Batman: Arkham Origins will be available for the Wii U, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC on October 25, 2013.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: detourne_me on April 11, 2013, 05:38:13 AM
Let's think about this here for a second...
No Paul Dini
No Rocksteady
but
A new Batman game built off a VERY solid foundation
Revealed enemies include Deathstroke, Penguin, and Black Mask
It's a prequel so the dev team doesn't need to get too crazy by adding new features
Yeah, it's still an instabuy for me.

See, the thing is Arkham City is a work of art.  It's not just the graphics engine or the gameplay, it's the whole package.  It's the myriads of small details.  It's the little nods to Batman history and DC comics stories everywhere.  It's the little details.  It's the interesting storyplay and the way everything melds together.  It's actually pretty rare when a game really comes together to this level, let alone being done twice, even by the same team.  There are plenty of good games, even excellent ones, but few on this level.

Could this team make a decent game, even a good one?  Sure.  It seems they have the art nailed down at least.  But I doubt that it will be at all the same thing.

laughing paradox

This looks like fun, and I'm going to get it either way.

It's nice that Rocksteady is giving this game its blessing.

What I am curious about is this: Who are the 8 assassins?

Murs and I tried to come up with some ideas

Lady Shiva
Bronze Tiger
Merlyn
KGBeast
Deadshot

I wanted to say Azrael, but I reminded that this is a prequel and Azrael showed up in Arkham City as a new guy.

Who else could be in this game?

Tomato

I wouldn't say Deadshot either. The game doesn't say it directly, but the impression I have from the dialogue(especially Alfred's quip about the world's greatest assassin vs the world's greatest detective) in Arkham City is that the side quest was the first time Batman had fought him... not that they couldn't retcon it for the new game, but I'm just saying.

Podmark

LP you hit up most of the characters I was thinking of, but to name a few more obscure others that could work:
David Cane
Shrike
Brutale
Lady Vic
Onyxx

I'm very interested see what they go with.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BWPS

Boycotting this one until they add Simon the Pieman. DLC missions at the very least.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Silver Shocker

Black Mask confirmed as the main villain.

I think I'm ok with this. Most of the great Bat villains have been done and of the ones that haven't gotten much focus, Black Mask is one of the cool ones, and he fits the mobster role. As for the game, I'm excited for it but hoping the change in developer and lack of Dini won't hurt it too much. Not sure what to think about the portable installment as yet, will have to see some screenshots, footage, ect. before I can say if I'm interested in that.

Also, in an  article I read a week ago or so, they claimed the city in this new game will be twice the size of the one in Arkham City, but that they also want to make sure traversing it isn't tedious. I hope they deliver, it sounds good if they can pull it off.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

UnkoMan

I really like Black Mask's design here. That suit is slick, and the mask actually looks like a mask, not just a skull head. Very cool.

Podmark

Very disappointing news, Kevin Conroy won't be reprising his role of Batman in Arkham Origins  :(

Curious who will be replacing him though. Apparently they want a younger Bruce Wayne. Wouldn't be surprised if it's Troy Baker.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I saw this Saturday, but before anyone freaks out, the announcement is NOT coming directly from WB Montreal. As of now, the ONLY source for this information is from the may issue of a South African magazine called NAG. Until Montreal officially elaborates on the decision and/or we hear who they ARE planning on using, I'd take this with a few grains of salt.

Tomato

teaser is up. I'd link to it/ express my thoughts, but I'm at work and videos are blocked on public wifi

Tomato

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNFrBb7h4_g

Kevin Conroy himself confirms that he IS in Arkham: Origins. Thus proving that jumping to conclusions based on an article in a south african gaming magazine is not the smartest thing you could possibly be doing with your time.

Oh, did I mention, I told you so?

Podmark

Great news, wouldn't be the same without him.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

laughing paradox

So Deathstroke is apparently going to be a playable DLC character for the game.

In what context, however, is unknown. (Meaning if he will have a storyline like Catwoman in Arkham City, or more like a fighter to be used in the trial runs like Robin.)

bat1987

Apparently he is not voicing young Batman
http://www.gamespot.com/news/resident-evil-bioshock-voice-actors-behind-batman-arkham-origins-6408580

Since Konroy is involved, maybe he's the narrator? Older Batman remembering his beginnings? Hamill not being Joker isn't a surprise since he announced his departure a while ago. But they are using experienced voice actors so looking forward to hearing them. Oh and full trailer is in the article too, looks very cool. 
Spoiler
Not a fan of Deadshot's look tbh

Podmark

Hmm so I was close. Baker is playing the Joker, with Roger Craig Smith as Batman (who would have also been on my shortlist of guesses). Good voice actors, but they're kinda in everything.

Quote from: laughing paradox on May 20, 2013, 05:09:55 AM
So Deathstroke is apparently going to be a playable DLC character for the game.
In what context, however, is unknown. (Meaning if he will have a storyline like Catwoman in Arkham City, or more like a fighter to be used in the trial runs like Robin.)

Newsarama claims it's just for the Challenge mode. He's DLC like Robin.

Haven't seen the trailer yet. May have more comments then.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Talavar

Kevin Conroy has tweeted about being involved in a new Arkham game, however, that isn't Origin: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=45596  Another installment actually being worked on by Rocksteady perhaps?

Tomato

I could see that. I'd guess that they're splitting duties between different studios to help pound out games in a more reasonable time frame and keep momentum going for the series.

That said, while everything I've seen on Arkham Origins thus far has been good, I'm not exactly excited by the villain choices thus far. Black Mask is awesome and Joker's obviously back, but the others we've heard... Meh. Deathstroke isn't nearly as interesting without his history against the Titans, Deadshot is kinda overused right now, and... Anarchy, really?

I'm sorry, but even excluding what we've seen from the first two games, there are PLENTY of batman villains who have yet to get properly adapted. While I have no doubt that guys like Anarchy can be interesting (Arkham City proved that MAD HATTER could be a cool villain), I'd rather see more classic rogues like Ventriloquist or, hell, Man-Bat get that treatment. And that's not even counting characters like Two-Face and Penguin who'd might be more interesting from a year one perspective.

But oh well, I guess we'll have Bane. Because he hasn't been in enough lately, he needs to be in Origins too.

Podmark

I've watched the Trailer now, and it's one of those CG trailers that doesn't tell you anything about the game play, but the story premise it expresses looks good. I like Black Mask and Deathstroke, and we've got Penguin, Deadshot, Bane, Joker and Anarky (and I'm probably missing a couple of guys). That's a pretty decent rogues gallery. Pretty optimistic about this game so far.

If Batman games ended up being like Call Of Duty with a game every year or so, I'd be pretty happy honestly. As long as the stories continued to be good.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

lugaru

I have a hard time getting especially enthused about Deathstroke, but he should make for some great fights. I hope they can work in more of the off the wall villains, like the stuff with Scarecrow in Asylum was great, or The Penguin with his frozen enviroments. I would love to see Mad Hatter with scores of mismatched mind controlled minions (kinda like Poison Ivy had) and nutty Alice in Wonderland themed traps.