Batman v Superman

Started by thalaw2, July 21, 2013, 12:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

Right before that, he apparently tweeted that he was "off to do something funny or die" which would indicate that he was filming a Funny or Die Video.  Since the pic appeared just a couple hours after that, I'm guessing it's from a Funny or Die segment that he filmed.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Ha, that HAS to be a joke.  I mean...please? :unsure:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Yeah, no. Bieber is a sexist twit, so if by some random fluke of hollywood this is real, I'm boycotting this movie.

I doubt it is, but seriously, I would. Eff Bieber.

deano_ue

its a fake, its been rumored to be a funny or die thing

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: the_ultimate_evil on September 14, 2013, 07:58:14 PM
its a fake, its been rumored to be a funny or die thing

So, if enough people vote it "not funny" . . .
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

bearded

captmorgan72

Ok Ben, you have no freaking excuse to not get jacked for your Batman role. Don't tell me how hard it is because of your age. Take a look at Mel here who is 57 who got ready for Expendables 3.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

All I know is that this stinks of pure Hollywood.  She's positively waif-ish, and she's supposed to be playing Wonder Woman. :(
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

stumpy

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 05, 2013, 05:17:47 AMAll I know is that this stinks of pure Hollywood.  She's positively waif-ish, and she's supposed to be playing Wonder Woman. :(

Everyone I have mentioned her name to today who recognized her from the Fast and Furious movies or who looked her up has had the same reaction. Basically, "She's pretty and all, but she's a stick." Even people who aren't comic book fans understand that there is something beyond a tallish woman with pretty face required to play Wonder Woman. And I agree. She may be a talented performer (I haven't seen anything she has been in) and I understand that the role calls for good looks, but Wonder Woman should look like someone who could walk onto half of the athletic events in the Olympics and be a contender. To me, Gadot looks... well... skeletal.

Whatever. Those are my initial reservations, but they aren't set in stone. It's entirely possible that the next several months of her life will include many long days strength training, many meals with above-famine-levels of protein, and lots of coaching on how to look like an athlete and move with the bearing of someone confident that her body can do physically impressive things. Or, the studio could spend millions on the CGI required to do the opposite for her of what they did for Chris Evans for the first part of Captain America. Not holding my breath, but it could happen.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

Starman

Guys, do you honestly believe that the actress, Gal Gadot, ISN'T going to bulk up and work out to play Wonder Woman? That, because she is a woman, she isn't going to have to go through a similar workout regime to every other superhero actor, from Christian Bale as Batman, Chris Evans as Captain America, to Robert Downey Junior as Iron Man? That Zack Snyder is going to spontaneously take leave of his senses and have a slim woman fighting alongside the hulking Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck?

Criticise her acting ability. She's an actress. But all the "skinny" comments on the internet really expose the casually misogynist underbelly of comic book fandom. I don't remember reading anything like it when an emaciated Christian Bale was cast as Batman after doing "The Machinist", or when an out-of-shape Chris Pratt was cast as Starlord for "Guardians of The Galaxy". Even the criticism of Adam Driver's looks when he was rumoured to be cast as Nightwing weren't as frequent.

:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: Starman on December 05, 2013, 09:50:55 AM
Criticise her acting ability. She's an actress. But all the "skinny" comments on the internet really expose the casually misogynist underbelly of comic book fandom. I don't remember reading anything like it when an emaciated Christian Bale was cast as Batman after doing "The Machinist", or when an out-of-shape Chris Pratt was cast as Starlord for "Guardians of The Galaxy". Even the criticism of Adam Driver's looks when he was rumoured to be cast as Nightwing weren't as frequent.

I don't think it's misogynism here.  Quite the opposite.  People are starting to have a reaction against the sterotypical hollywood woman who is expected to be unnaturally skinny in order to succeed.  Just look at all the incidents of female Olympians being made for of for being "fat" in the last Olympics because people are so used to an unrealistic picture of what a woman should look like from Hollywood that many can't tell a fit, muscular girl apart from an overweight one.  If she does bulk up and train for the role, then fine, no problem.  I really don't expert her to though, because Hollywood plain doesn't know what a fit woman looks like.

Tomato

I'm actually with Cat on this one... I hold nothing against Gal Gadot (I'm actually in a "wait and see what she looks like in the role" mode, as I refuse to hold hollywoodness against any actress), but I am actually really tired of seeing the skinny model as being the only type of woman that can exist in hollywood. True, people can and have had massive changes for a role (Linda Hamilton in Terminator 2 would be a great example of what can happen) but the issue is that Hollywood execs don't support it: they want a cute love interest, nothing more. Wonder Woman, by her very nature, is a stand against that: it would be a shame of Hollywood just used the role to put in some eye candy.

(And FYI: People DID go after Christian Bale for being too skinny, just like they went after Heath Ledger because he didn't look like Joker, just like they went after Michael Keaton because he didn't look like Batman, and most importantly, just like they freaked out about Ben Affleck's Batman. This whole thing is no different, there's just nothing about her career that stands out for people to talk about.)

deano_ue

to be fair i was all for the woman who played sif to get the role, i'll wait and see, the rumors is that the same trainer that trained cavill and is now working with affleck is set to get her ready for the role. he also trained the woman who played faora in mos

i'm worried about her role in this, is it major, a cameo or dear god no simply a love triangle gimmick. also there are rumors of an apperance by flash and i quote " a load of dcu hero cameos easter eggs"

seems dc has finally woke up to the working marvel route

BentonGrey

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on December 05, 2013, 10:39:06 AM
Quote from: Starman on December 05, 2013, 09:50:55 AM

I don't think it's misogynism here.  Quite the opposite.  People are starting to have a reaction against the sterotypical hollywood woman who is expected to be unnaturally skinny in order to succeed.  Just look at all the incidents of female Olympians being made for of for being "fat" in the last Olympics because people are so used to an unrealistic picture of what a woman should look like from Hollywood that many can't tell a fit, muscular girl apart from an overweight one.  If she does bulk up and train for the role, then fine, no problem.  I really don't expert her to though, because Hollywood plain doesn't know what a fit woman looks like.

Exactly Cat, well said (and 'Mato too!).  My objection stems from the fact that we have an incredibly unhealthy image of female beauty in this country.  We're starting to see some reactions against it, but the unhealthy-skinny model type is still the standard for a lot of our media, and it is a pretty big problem with some grave consequences.  I see it in my school, I see it in my classroom, and I saw it in my friends when we were younger and dumber.  I'm not saying this young lady is unhealthy, but I am saying that she's so thin as to have little resemblance to a really healthy, athletic looking woman.  Perhaps that's a healthy weight for her, but such would not be the case for a lot of women.  If there is any role in which we should really have a woman who looks vigorous and healthy, it's that of Wonder Woman.  As 'Mato said, she stands against just that sort of nonsense.

If this girl "bulks up," that's good, but like Cat I doubt that will be the case.
God Bless

stumpy

Starman, I don't read anything even vaguely misogynistic in the comments here about Gadot. There is a theme that she is too skinny to look like Wonder Woman and there is concern that, due largely to the way the movie business seems to accept "near emaciated" as "fit" for women these days, there won't be much effort to change things.

I know several women whose workout routine is focused on staying thin while not acquiring visible musculature. They barely see being "toned" as acceptable, which I find unfortunate. (And, no, there is no advocacy for a "muscle-bound" or "steroidal" look here. Just the healthy musculature that an athlete would have.) While plenty of men work out to avoid being fat, I don't know of any who are worried about adding some muscle in the process.

Meanwhile, actors like Evans, Affleck, and others have a proven history of being willing to muscle up for their roles. This isn't in any way to imply that male actors are superior or willing to do more physically to prepare for a role (honestly, I have no idea), but likely a reflection of the fact that there is no downside for men in Hollywood being muscular. (Actually, in Bale's case, the surprising thing is that he was willing to go so far in the other direction for his role in The Machinist. Whatever else one might think of him as an actor, it's hard to argue that he isn't willing to do whatever it takes to look the part.)

BTW, as I said earlier, it's certainly possible that Gadot will get the physical training corresponding to that of her male co-stars and she will look athletic by the time the movie is shot. IMO, an example that shows that to be possible is Hilary Swank. To my recollection, she was pretty thin before Million Dollar Baby, but she was looking much stronger in that movie.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

BWPS

I think this movie is going to be a train wreck. I hope it's good, it might be good, but I don't think it's going to be good.

Comments calling her "unhealthy" and "near emaciated"  are ridiculous.  You should always think twice before body policing  no matter which direction  it's in. Wonder Woman should be tall and muscular and I don't think Gadot is the right choice at 5'9"  but she's a real person and her size isn't anyone's concern but hers and you can definitely be misogynistic while thinking you're doing the opposite.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Talavar

I'm a little concerned by both her resume and her thinness.  How many models have transitioned into being good actors?  I'm not saying none, but it's a short list.  Henry Cavill and Ben Affleck, whatever one's personal thoughts on them in the roles, were cast for more than just a look.  I hope she's willing (and that the studio is willing to let her) get a little ripped for this role, but I also hope she can act.

Quote from: BWPS on December 05, 2013, 06:34:26 PM
I think this movie is going to be a train wreck. I hope it's good, it might be good, but I don't think it's going to be good.

Comments calling her "unhealthy" and "near emaciated"  are ridiculous.  You should always think twice before body policing  no matter which direction  it's in. Wonder Woman should be tall and muscular and I don't think Gadot is the right choice at 5'9"  but she's a real person and her size isn't anyone's concern but hers and you can definitely be misogynistic while thinking you're doing the opposite.

Is it misandristic when male actors are derided for not being seen as muscular enough to play superheroes?  Which has happened with almost every male actor to play one at one point or another, from Christopher Reeves onward.  If not, then you're describing a ridiculous double standard.  Hollywood has an unhealthy obsession with incredibly thin women, and calling the studios out on it in their casting decisions is not misogynistic. 

stumpy

Quote from: BWPS on December 05, 2013, 06:34:26 PMComments calling her "unhealthy" and "near emaciated"  are ridiculous.  You should always think twice before body policing  no matter which direction  it's in. Wonder Woman should be tall and muscular and I don't think Gadot is the right choice at 5'9"  but she's a real person and her size isn't anyone's concern but hers and you can definitely be misogynistic while thinking you're doing the opposite.

Of course one can be unknowingly misogynistic. It had no role in my comment and I don't assume it in the comments of others I've seen here, but it's possible. No one here is "policing" Gadot's body. None of us has any (or claims any) authority to force her to look one way or another. However, people are free to make observations on whether they think her look matches the look they envision for the role in which she has been cast. And, yes, as the target audience for the movie and people generally interested in superhero-related silliness, it is something about which we may chose to be concerned.

Meanwhile, IMO, in the pictures I have seen of her (like this one), she is very thin. While a description like "near emaciated" is obvious hyperbole and no one would mistake it for a medical opinion, it also isn't "ridiculous" in the context of someone who's supposed to look like Wonder Woman. At least, I don't see how it's more ridiculous than assuming that any negative observation or opinion about a female performer's suitability to portray a character based on her looks must be based on misogyny. To paraphrase your advice, you should always think twice before ascribing someone's observation to an unsavory moral failing.

BentonGrey

Well-said Stumpy.  Like I said, that may be a healthy weight for her, but I know women who have tried to maintain such figures to the detriment of their health.  I don't presume to tell her how she should conduct her life, but I think it's far from immoral or unreasonable to say that she looks like the quintessential model-type that Hollywood loves, an image of woman-hood that, by its ubiquity (to the point that it crowds out all other body types), is detrimental to the vast majority of women who cannot be extremely thin and healthy at the same time.  This is especially true in light of the role this actress has been cast to play.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

If this is her natural weight (and for many hollywood actresses, it isn't, they have to starve themselves) then fine.  In fact, it's really none of my business.  It's her body and she can be in whatever shape she chooses to be.  The role is what I am concerned about here.  Wonder Woman is a warrior and is strong and physically powerful.  The actress should look the part.  If she doesn't get physical training to look the part then fine.  Women don't tend to bulk up in quite the same way as men, so I'm not looking for anything like what was done for Thor, as long as she looks like a female athlete such as an olympian does.

Anyway, we can wait and see.  Maybe they'll surprise us all.

Tomato

speaking as someone who argued against this sort of thing when everyone was slamming Caity Lotz as being too supermodel-y(and to be fair, she did kinda rock as Canary, so :P ) for Black Canary, I think you're falling into the same trap I did and overthinking this. None of us are hating on Gadot here: I even explicitly stated that I'm waiting for something tangible like set photos or trailers before I make any judgements on either her appearance or ability. If anything, we're venting our frustrations at WB... who have consistantly made bad decisions when it comes to these films, and our fears that they are doing the same here. Our concerns are not limited JUST to Gadot (I refer you to the last page or so of discussion on Ben Affleck's inclusion) and I honestly don't think that claims of mysogyny are accurate. If anything, we've been far more open to an actress that doesn't look the part and doesn't have a ton of acting chops than the actor who does look the part and has acting and directing chops coming out the plothole.

Shogunn2517

It's not just the simple fact that she's skinny(which she very much is), but she doesn't have an "athletic" look.  I don't think that is sexist.  Christian Bale, before we saw him as Batman we saw him kicking@$% in Equilibrium and playing the rich playboy in Shaft and American Psycho.  I mean, they didn't go out and get Andrew Garfield to play Bruce Wayne. 

Her size isn't just about her gender.  Its about her presence and command.  Wonder Woman, for all intent and purposes would be pretty intimidating.  She's physically imposing.  She's 6'0.  Toned.  She's an AMAZON.  We use that word in our language these days as a descriptive term for a reason.  Someone describing an AMAZON today thinks of like a Serena Williams or Lucy Lawless, Kerri Walsh, Jenny Fench, etc.

catwhowalksbyhimself

There are also some actresses that are not physically big but can still project a physical presence. Those I'd been fine for too.  I don't get that impression from her though.  Again, she could surprise me.

Starman

Wow, some of these comments are a little on the nose. The attitude that picking on this woman's appearance is "a reaction against the sterotypical hollywood woman who is expected to be unnaturally skinny in order to succeed" is pretty rich. Body policing and tearing into a woman's appearance isn't doing feminism any favours and doesn't really seem like the type of thing Wonder Woman would endorse...

Quote(And FYI: People DID go after Christian Bale for being too skinny, just like they went after Heath Ledger because he didn't look like Joker, just like they went after Michael Keaton because he didn't look like Batman, and most importantly, just like they freaked out about Ben Affleck's Batman. This whole thing is no different, there's just nothing about her career that stands out for people to talk about.)

They didn't go after Christian Bale that hard for his physique (if at all). And the problems with Ledger, Keaton and Affleck were based on their suitability based on previous roles/performances. Not the same.

QuoteIf this is her natural weight (and for many hollywood actresses, it isn't, they have to starve themselves) then fine.  In fact, it's really none of my business.  It's her body and she can be in whatever shape she chooses to be.  The role is what I am concerned about here.  Wonder Woman is a warrior and is strong and physically powerful.

QuoteIt's not just the simple fact that she's skinny(which she very much is), but she doesn't have an "athletic" look.  I don't think that is sexist.

Like ... Lynda Carter? http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Lifeandhealth/Pix/pictures/2009/7/10/1247232298952/Wonder-Woman-Lynda-Carter-001.jpg

QuoteHer size isn't just about her gender.  Its about her presence and command.  Wonder Woman, for all intent and purposes would be pretty intimidating.  She's physically imposing.  She's 6'0.  Toned.  She's an AMAZON.

If it's not about gender, why is this really an issue in a post-Hugh Jackman-as-Wolverine world?

QuoteI'm not saying this young lady is unhealthy, but I am saying that she's so thin as to have little resemblance to a really healthy, athletic looking woman.

:doh:

QuoteWhile a description like "near emaciated" is obvious hyperbole and no one would mistake it for a medical opinion, it also isn't "ridiculous" in the context of someone who's supposed to look like Wonder Woman. At least, I don't see how it's more ridiculous than assuming that any negative observation or opinion about a female performer's suitability to portray a character based on her looks must be based on misogyny.

QuoteLike I said, that may be a healthy weight for her, but I know women who have tried to maintain such figures to the detriment of their health.  I don't presume to tell her how she should conduct her life, but I think it's far from immoral or unreasonable to say that she looks like the quintessential model-type that Hollywood loves, an image of woman-hood that, by its ubiquity (to the point that it crowds out all other body types), is detrimental to the vast majority of women who cannot be extremely thin and healthy at the same time.

QuoteAnyway, we can wait and see.  Maybe they'll surprise us all.

:thumbup:

Until we see the actress in her costume, having prepared for the role, we don't have any idea what Gal Godat will look like as Wonder Woman.

Here are two things we do know:

* Zack Snyder has a reputation for making his actors work out and bulk up for his films, and he didn't cast weak female roles in Dawn Of The Dead, Suck Punch, Watchmen or Man Of Steel. There is NO reason to expect any different from Wonder Woman.

* Male actors in superhero films change their body shapes for roles. Chris Evans, Chris Pratt, Hugh Jackman, Live Schrieber, Robert Downey Junior, Chris Hemsworth, Christian Bale, etc didn't have huge physiques before they played superhero roles. Why doesn't anyone think Gadot can do this? She spent two years in the Israel Defense Forces (IDF), completing combat training and serving as a fitness trainer. She also did all her own stunts for the "Fast and Furious" films. I doubt she's afraid of hitting the gym for the role.

I also stumbled on a blog that cited some choice selections from Gadot's Facebook page when she shared this news with her fans. "Most responses were positive. The negatives? Extraordinarily cruel."

Quote"Eat a sandwich."

"Oh noNo no no no r u kidding me Pls dont spoil Batman for me oh whom m i kidding its ben affleck there its already dead ...might as well ur boobs keep us busy."

"Where's the boobs of WW? Just sayin'"

"Aren't you a bit of a beanpole to be playing a commanding amazonian warrior woman?"

"Objective opinion: I like your work and you are a very beautiful woman, but you are not a Wonder Woman type.... We swallowed Ben Affleck as batman, because if he'd train and prepare like fe Heath ledger he might pull this off, but you, even with superior acting skills, just do not have the physique to pull that role off. No matter how hard you'd train, no matter how much you'd prepare....its like seeing a trainwreck before it happens."

I understand what people are trying to say about how film studios can be reluctant to portray athletic female bodies that are bigger than the Hollywood norm. About the way Wonder Woman, who is 6'0" and 130lbs comic book character, shouldn't be played by a slender 5'9" actress.

But come on. These conversations shouldn't perpetuate sexist body shame, pour scorn on her eating habits, pre-determine that she will be a failure, and assume that she won't achieve a superheroic comic-book look via weight training / costume design / direction / camera angles / etc.

Let's see the final product before we judge if she meets out expectations for the role or not.

Tomato

Dude, I don't disagree with you, I just think you're overreacting. There IS a bad stereotype in hollywood about hiring women for their breasts and figure rather than acting ability. And this is JUST AS MUCH about her career, or lack thereof, as it is about her physical appearance. And be honest man, in comparison to the ranting and raving geeks have done with regards to inane nonsense like Hawkeye not having a Wolverine Mask or Cap not having his wingtips, being concerned that an actress with less than a dozen acting roles under her belt could possibly play such an important role (Wonder Woman is the quintessential female superhero and this is the first time she'll be seen in film. It's kind of important.) is a legitimate one. I'm certainly in the "I'll see how she does before I make any judgements" camp, but I do understand where everyone is coming from.

The only reason that this is becoming such an issue is because you are singling out one facet of the argument (and before you once again belittle my statement concerning males being objectified in iconic roles, I NEVER could have accepted Brandon Routh's Superman. That film could have been brilliant, and he'd still be this dorky looking dude with the chin that's 5 sizes too small to be Superman's iconic square jaw.) and MAKING it an issue. You are putting everyone here on the defensive, and all it's doing is fostering a fight that is going nowhere. They aren't hating on Gadot, they're hating on execs at WB... who, frankly, have earned that hate and mistrust.

Everyone here needs to take a chill pill, and go back to hating on Ben Affleck's Batman.

detourne_me

Can we all agree that Gina Torres would have been amazing as Wonder Woman?

also... since when is 5'9 short for a female?
Body image stuff aside, let's just remember that Gadot has been a part of one of the largest action franchises worldwide in recent years. She just might have the chops.

Figure Fan

Has anyone considered that she may not even be referred to as "Wonder Woman" in the film, or that her origin may be changed and she may not be a full-on "Amazonian warrior princess" like she is in the comics? Just saying...

BentonGrey

If the later were true, FF, that would just introduce a new set of problems. :P
God Bless

spydermann93

Quote from: Figure Fan on December 10, 2013, 04:19:54 PM
Has anyone considered that she may not even be referred to as "Wonder Woman" in the film, or that her origin may be changed and she may not be a full-on "Amazonian warrior princess" like she is in the comics? Just saying...

Quote from: BentonGrey on December 10, 2013, 04:41:12 PM
If the later were true, FF, that would just introduce a new set of problems. :P

Yeah, she's going to be the new Alfred, not Wonder Woman! :P