Batman v Superman

Started by thalaw2, July 21, 2013, 12:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silver Shocker

Actually I find it ironic (and kind of refreshing) that the comic given away for free to promote Batman V Superman? Jeph Loeb's Superman/Batman #1. And I quite enjoyed it to be honest (I read the first two arcs or so about a decade ago and back then Ed McGuinness' art had yet to grow on me). I've personally never jumped on the Loeb sucks bandwagon. There's a camaraderie and mutual respect between Bats and Supes in that book, that amusingly, the webcomic Shortpacked joked was homoerotic. A nice counter to their animosity here and in DKR.

The whole idea of Batman beating the other heroes seemed to really balloon in memetic popularity due to Mark Waid's JLA arc Tower of Babel, and the rise of internet culture. That, and every other Batman event and DC event having Bats as a paranoid jerk only helped fuel this take on the character.  Now Batman being this kind of uber-perfected human who can beat anyone but is also really untrusting is a really prominent interpretation.

There's an arc of the Justice League cartoon in the first season, where Batman defeats the entirety of the Injustice Gang in about a minute or two, by himself, including Solomon Grundy, without taking a single hit until he fights the two characters introduced for that arc. It's awesome, but utterly ridiculous. Yet in another arc featuring the team it's a group effort, while Joker sneaks up on him and knocks him out with a bag of rocks.
The characterization of Batman kinda differs that way, sometimes within the same canon.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

HarryTrotter

Remember Young Justice,when Clayface is wrecking the whole team and Batman just walks in and tases him?

His record isnt actually 100%.He couldnt touch Swamp Thing,Prometheus beat him up(because its Prometheus),and in Lex Luthor,Man of Steel-Superman kicked the crap out of him.I think thats the only win for Superman.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5__GUjaaBng -Ben Affleck is taking over as executive producer of the Justice League movie, where he will be "fine tuning" the script, and will be overseeing and have final say on post-production for the film. Which is to also say Zack Snyder does not have final say on those things anymore.

Silver Shocker

Probably a good thing?
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

BentonGrey

Well, it could hardly get any worse...
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Talavar

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 10, 2016, 03:33:38 PM
Well, it could hardly get any worse...

Don't tempt fate, Benton!  It could always get worse!

BentonGrey

God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 10, 2016, 04:35:48 PM
True Talavar, true.

True indeed. Just imagine if they got Frank Miller to direct it and Mark Millar to write the script. 'Miller and Millar's Justice League.' Better yet, 'Miller and Millar's Aquaman.' I'd say they'd definitely be worth watching, but not necessarily for the right reasons. ;)
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

HarryTrotter

To be fair,Mark Millars movies work out better then his comics.Seeing he writes for a movie,thats to be expected.
And his works for DC were pretty good.Granted,Grant Morrison was involved in some.But Mark would still be a better choice then Snyder IMHO.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

catwhowalksbyhimself

For some crazy reason, I went and bought this movie.  As I have yet to see it and it includes the extended version, I will be watching both (theatrical first) and reporting back.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

spydermann93

Yeah, I'd really like to hear how the Ultimate Cut (or whatever it was called) stacks up to the Theatrical Cut.

catwhowalksbyhimself

The movie was as terrible as I heard.  It wasn't great, but it wasn't that bad either.  Still outclassed by pretty much everything Marvel has done.  A few tweaks here and there and a different Luthor and it could have been good.

Jesse Eisenberg was a fantastic villain very good.  I can see why non comic book fans loved him so much he's fantastic--just not as Lex Luthor.  He isn't Luthor at all.

Killer Batman still bugs me, but there's indications that this is recent and he wasn't always that way.  Still not an excuse.

I'm okay with Gal as Wonder Woman.  She isn't the greatest physical fit, but I like the accent and can play the role pretty well.  Batflek isn't bad, just needs a better script and to lighten up a bit.

Some thoughts I wrote as I watched it.

Spoiler
So I decided to write things as I watched it.  A few minutes in and I am utterly bored.  The originas of Batman are quite well done, but I've seen this all several times before just as well done.  They could have done a 30 seconds recap of it.  I really don't need nearly 5 mintues of something we've already had like 10 different versions of boring.

The redo of Superman vs Zod is better.  You don't often see the collateral damage from the perspective the ordinary folks on the ground. They should have opened up directly with this.

Terrorist scene--no idea what the shooting and fighting is about.  Also, Superman apparently kills someone by putting him through a wall.  No one could survive that.

So did the witness just say Superman killed a bunch of bad government soldiers, cause that's what it sounds like she is saying.  Ah, next scene explains the last two questions.

Opening scene with Batman was cool, although I don't like the branding.  So Batman has only done the branding thing twice.  Recent thing.

That's definitely not Luthor.

Why's Wayne doing Batman stuff as himself?  They could have put Matches Malone instead.  Never seen Batman this careless with his identity.

I'm kinda liking this Alfred.

Clark leaving the party and letting Bruce go to save the little girl was at least in character.  The reaction afterwards at least make sense.

I actually like the first meeting between Bruce and Diana.

Only 1 definite death in the chase scene.  Still bad, but not as bad as I'd heard.

Okay, now it looks like killer batman, judging by all the stretchers, only it's likely mostly innocent LexCorp people.  Yesh.  That's ever worse.

Why did they let them so easily figure out the wheelchair bomber did it?  And how does "he didn't stop it" equal to him being party of it?  Better that they didn't know it was a bomber and assume he used his heat vision or whatever.  That would at least explain why Batman goes after him.

The Martha thing's still sudden, but not so bad as I thought.

Batman finally gets to do what he does best.  After a slaughters a few grunts.  But after that, it's good.

Why'd Superman just level a block?  I know Batman said the area was abandoned, but that was only afterwards.

Of course Lois is hanging out in the "abandoned" area.  For no apparent reason.  With enough time for her to have gotten the spear someone safe.  Sigh.

Batman is clearly outclassed again Doomsday, but he managed to just barely stay alive.  Good that they aren't portraying him as perfect at everything.

I will watch the extended version in a few days probably and report back.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.