Guardians of the Galaxy - 2014

Started by spydermann93, July 22, 2013, 10:55:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thalaw2

I am not impressed.  Maybe this is something more for the kids.  I don't see anything epic about it and it doesn't look all that fun to me.  I may pass unless I see great reviews.
革命不会被电视转播

HarryTrotter

^This is gonna be awessome,men.People,you cant hate if you didnt saw it.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

thalaw2

Quote from: BentonGrey on May 22, 2014, 03:10:55 AM
The movie is looking pretty cool.  In fact, it is looking so good, that I rather wish they were going more straight-forward action flick and less humor.  The "funny" bits just seem a bit jarring in the trailers, as the rest of the movie look so epic.  I'm giving Marvel the benefit of the doubt, though, and hoping that everything will even out in the final analysis.

I didn't comment about it earlier but I agree with that.  The "humor" elements turned me off in the trailer.  Therefore, I'd rather wait for some reviews to come in, especially from FR members.
革命不会被电视转播

HarryTrotter

^Whats wrong with humor?You prefer something boring?
Jon Farmer

thalaw2

I think we like humor that's funny.
革命不会被电视转播

HarryTrotter

Ever heard for the expresion: Never trust a trailer?
I mean if you watched 9 MCU movies already,why not number 10?
Jon Farmer

thalaw2

Please read people's posts completely before making a comment.  I know you're excited, but slowdown man.  Read then make a careful, informed post.
革命不会被电视转播

HarryTrotter

^Your waitin what people will say here on the forum.You cant make a desicion on your own?
Jon Farmer

Reepicheep

Quote from: Spade on June 18, 2014, 01:22:21 PM
^Your waitin what people will say here on the forum.You cant make a desicion on your own?

Steady on.

Thats a perfectly ok approach to these things. Thalaw, like myself and many others, is just cautious to raise an opinion on what he's seen so far. I've been surprised by a few films because folks over here recommended them to me, and I've avoided others because of negative critique from FR.

Personally, I think this looks like it could be fun. I'm really enjoying Chris Pratt's acting at the moment and I haven't seen John C Reilly for a while. I don't think that particular trailer was trying to highlight the humour, though.

Tomato

Spade, you of all people should be aware of how not everyone shares the same opinion. Humor in particular is subjective... not everyone is going to laugh at the same things. He doesn't like the trailers, but he's also not ruling this out as being a good film. He just wants to see what the rest of the board thinks of the film before deciding to spend his money on it in theaters, or whether it's worth just waiting for the dvd. It's be the same as me waiting to see a movie like First Class (which had horrible, HORRIBLE trailers) until one of my friends had seen it and told me it was good.

I realize you're new and you're still getting a feel for things, but the rest of us have known each other for years, some of us over a decade. In the end, I'm not going to see eye to eye with everyone and not everyone is going to see eye to eye with me (I thought Green Lantern was good, if flawed), but we also tend to put a lot of trust in each other... I'm going to see most superhero movies regardless, but if the majority of people here don't like it, I usually prepare myself for it being very painful.

HarryTrotter

^Hell,if we got through IM3 and CA:WS,then we might as well watch GoG.This at least promises to be fun.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

You want to see it right away, he wants to wait. Both stances are completely sound and happen to be your own personal OPINION.

Do you not understand this opinion thing at all? If you want people to give you the benefit of the doubt when your opinion differs from the majority, don't whine at other people when their opinion differs from yours. I agree that this film looks very good, and I personally like that it's not taking itself too seriously, but I'm not going to judge someone for not being 100% when not too long ago I was ranting and raving about how Marvel had lost its mind for wanting to make a movie because it has a talking squirrel in it.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

HarryTrotter

^I was talking about the movie,and you are just being offensive.
Jon Farmer

Tomato

BWPS, please don't. It's being handled.

Back to Guardians of the Galaxy... admittedly I was very worried about this film back when they started, but now I'm really excited for it. I do think they were trying a bit too hard with the humor in the trailers, but I did really enjoy the bit in this last one where Rocket was working with the bombs.

JeyNyce

From the trailer the movie looks like a "buddy cop" type movie but with more people.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

crimsonquill

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 18, 2014, 05:15:54 PM
From the trailer the movie looks like a "buddy cop" type movie but with more people.

GoTG is coming off more like a Space Opera with Buddy Cop and Action Hero elements in it.. which is perfectly fine for fitting it into their established Marvel Cinemaverse. This movie is the biggest risk yet because we are being introduced to a much bigger universe and very strange Men In Black like aliens which have not yet appeared in any of the other films. Just one brief clip in the trailers really just show how far the door opens when you see the Guardians ship approach which looks like a long decapitated head of the Dreamer Celestial. THIS IS HUGE. That's not kicking down a door to bigger things.. that's blowing the door off the hinges. Hard not to be excited.. but I agree.. while the first two trailers made me smirk, the final trailer sold me. I'm looking forward to where we are going next.

Remember, While GoTG is taking us into space.. Avengers 2 is coming next and we are getting Ultron, Quicksilver, and Scarlet Witch done by Joss Whedon who knocked it out of the ballpark in his last film. :)

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

It seems to me like the whole reason for doing Guardians is to open the door to the outer space/sci fi aspects of the Marvel Movie Universe.  There are lots of aliens and planets to explore, but we've yet to leave Earth other than the Norse realms.  Jumping into an all out sci fi space movie is a good way to make the transition, so they can throw more spacey stuff at us later, plus we've now establish the Kree (which is MAJOR) as well quite a few other characters and groups.  This also gives me even more hope of seeing Beta Ray Bill, because I love that character.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

JeyNyce

On a side note, with all this stuff with Aliens and the Kree and everything, Season 2 of Agents of Shield should be interesting.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, that is already part of the plot of Season 1.  I'm guessing that part of the reason that was never fully explained was waiting for this film.

thalaw2

Spoiler
I see that Thanos will be in this movie.  That's kind of what I was expecting to set up future Avengers movies.
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

Now I realize how dumb I am.......
Spoiler
the blue alien from agents of shield is a Kree!

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: detourne_me on June 22, 2014, 09:09:26 AM
Now I realize how dumb I am.......
Spoiler
the blue alien from agents of shield is a Kree!

Spoiler
Sif even mentioned the species by name when Coulson was asking her what kinds of blue alien species she was familiar with.

BentonGrey

Right, but I had ruled that out in my own considerations because:
Spoiler
why would Kree DNA create super healing?  That would make more sense for the Skrulls.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

Back on topic... rumors are going around that Nathan Fillion (of Firefly and Castle fame) has a cameo voicing Cosmo, the telepathic russian space dog.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It's been confirmed that he has a cameo and that it isn't Nova, so I suppose anything is possible.  Fillion's done plenty of voice work in the past.

Talavar

Regarding a certain cameo...
Spoiler
I bet Nathan Fillion is playing Mal.  He'll never be called Mal, but if he's not dressed and talking like a certain space cowboy, I'll be surprised.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Except that he apparently revealed on twitter that you'll have to check the credits to even know he was there at all.

Talavar

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 25, 2014, 08:36:46 PM
Except that he apparently revealed on twitter that you'll have to check the credits to even know he was there at all.

Couldn't find anything like that in his Twitter feed.  Some people were claiming...
Spoiler
he's going to voice Cosmo, but that's had doubt cast on it by the director on Twitter.

Edit: In this day and age where stars and creative-types will flat-out lie to the fanbase, the following must be taken with a grain of salt, but Nathan Fillion has flat out denied that his cameo is Cosmo.