News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Advice on this game

Started by Ares_God_of_War, July 23, 2013, 07:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ares_God_of_War

It has been a looooooong time since I have played. I have a rear admiral and the interface isn't even close to what it was when I started. I also have a Klingon commander but I don't remember playing it and when I logged in it said it was a lietenant. My question is should I start a new toon and relearn the game or will I be able to pick it up again as a rear admiral? Also how are the romulans? I hear you have to choose a side at some point or something. Also if you have the lifetime membership to you gain XP or something? I can't figure out why my Klingon has leveled, lol.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BlueBard

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on July 23, 2013, 07:05:33 AM
It has been a looooooong time since I have played. I have a rear admiral and the interface isn't even close to what it was when I started. I also have a Klingon commander but I don't remember playing it and when I logged in it said it was a lietenant. My question is should I start a new toon and relearn the game or will I be able to pick it up again as a rear admiral? Also how are the romulans? I hear you have to choose a side at some point or something. Also if you have the lifetime membership to you gain XP or something? I can't figure out why my Klingon has leveled, lol.

First off, I recommend that you start a new character as either a Romulan or a Klingon.  The tutorials have been extended through level 10 or so and gives you a much better introduction to the game than the original Federation tutorial (which has not been updated yet).  The basic controls are the same, but you're right about how much the interface has changed.

Your Klingon Commander has apparently been sucked into a temporal anomaly.  When you first played, you could start a Klingon at level 5.  When the game went to free-to-play, they temporarily changed the KDF leveling scheme to start at level 20.  Now they've done another reset and you can start a new Klingon at level 1.  Your pre-existing character somehow tripped that autolevel thing from F2P and there you go.

The Romulan storyline rocks... it's Cryptic's best work on STO since launch.  Highly recommend.

If you play a Romulan and decide to ally with the Federation at level 10, please consider joining the Federation Reborn fleet.  Send me an email in-game when you hit level 10 and I'll send you an invite (but as a Romulan you can't join a fleet until you choose a side).

One of the Veteran rewards includes a bonus to skill points earned, and having a Lifetime membership now instantly earns you all of the Veteran rewards even if you haven't done the time.  You may have some extra lootz to collect, including a mugato pet, an android bridge officer, and a free Vet ship as the 1000 day reward.  You can also run a special duty officer assignment to refine extra dilithium ore.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Ares_God_of_War

Yeah I maxxed out when Rear Admiral was the highest rank and kind of stopped playing. I have been a lifetime member since before launch I just have played sporatically. I will try a new Klingon and new Romulan then.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange eons even death may die."

BlueBard

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on July 24, 2013, 01:02:31 AM
Yeah I maxxed out when Rear Admiral was the highest rank and kind of stopped playing. I have been a lifetime member since before launch I just have played sporatically. I will try a new Klingon and new Romulan then.

Just as well you haven't been playing a Klingon constantly.  They did add a lot of new content, but they also tweaked and reused a lot of old content.  If I never play "The House Always Wins" again, it will not cause me a single moment of anguish.  Fortunately there are enough other ways to level up now that you don't have to replay anything you don't want to.

There have been fan-created Foundry missions for the KDF, so that's always an option.  You don't get quite the same quality of loot, but you can still rack up skill points and collect drops.

Ares_God_of_War

How does the fan created stuff work? Also do you know of good websites that may help? I did very very little with my Klingon. Enough to shoot a few things with my bird of prey (all time favorite ship)

BlueBard

Quote from: Ares_God_of_War on July 25, 2013, 04:10:50 AM
How does the fan created stuff work? Also do you know of good websites that may help? I did very very little with my Klingon. Enough to shoot a few things with my bird of prey (all time favorite ship)

For help with the game:  http://www.stowiki.org

For help with the Foundry (fan-created missions):  http://starbaseugc.com/index.php/category/sto-ugc-tutorial/

Ares_God_of_War