News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Cyber's NifSkope Thread

Started by Cyber Burn, July 25, 2013, 01:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cyber Burn

Quote from: SickAlice on August 22, 2014, 06:26:55 PM
This gives me an idea. I could put together a mesh with several FX pointing different directions and upload it to the workbench page. Would anyone want that for skoping? I haven't forgot the limbs mesh either, in due time. Putting heavy work into the third GL wave right now but I think I could work those two into that upload.

That would be pretty cool, I would definitely be interested.

Cyber Burn

I did a search, but couldn't really find a solid answer to this. What is the proper way to export a Mesh Piece to (Obj.) format. For example, if I wanted to export the Shield from one of Renegade's "Captain America" Meshes into an (Obj.) format, is there anything specific I need to do?

Secondly, once I export the piece into (Obj.) format, can I use Blender to alter the mapping?

For the record, while I have tried Blender a few times, I was never able to understand it, so I really have no practical experience using the Program.

hoss20

What mapping aspects would you like to alter? There is a fair amount of editing that can be done in Nifskope and it's only this year that I've been doing a lot more to mapping than just adjusting the position in the art file.

Cyber Burn

For this specific FX, I'm looking at the "Core.Nif" from Tombstone's "Phantom_Pistol" FX for  :ffvstr:.

Basically, the Mapping is a pain to properly Skin because it's oddly shaped. I've tried stretching the Mapping out in NifSkope, but it didn't turn out too well. So I am very open to advice and suggestions.

SickAlice

There's no proper way. Depends on how your going to Import it really.

- Export from Nifskope: You can of course use Nifskope to export a 3d .obj file.
In older versions (grey background in preview plane) of the program by clicking on the editable mesh/trishape> right click > .OBJ > Export mesh
Later versions (black background in preview plane ) click on the editable mesh/trishape> File > Export > Export .Obj

- From 3d program: After importing the .nif file delete everything but the choice object and export it. In Blender make sure the piece is highlighted.

If your importing from Nifskope option 1 is better because it maintains the correct size of the piece. Blender is better if the piece is to be weighted later. In Blender I find it's also good to save and export the armature with it as that will hold it in it's original position.

-
As for texture assignment I'm no good with Blender. I use Milkshape for it (cost me $20 decades ago, no idea what the full version costs now) because it was designed for making game mods and the texturing is a very simple process using it.
-
The specific case (Phantom Pistol) is not weighted so the first example works. I'm looking at the parts of it now. What is it specifically your trying to do (and with what piece/pieces?).
Your saying " stretching out the Mapping ". By this do you mean you want to scale up the texture assignment to a larger version of the original. Or are you trying to give it a different shape instead to make texturing it simpler? I'm guessing it's the latter and what you want to do is remap both lightning pieces since they have an awkward overlapping assignment as they are now. Either way let me know, I can put this together for you in short time.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: SickAlice on August 27, 2014, 04:57:28 AM

Or are you trying to give it a different shape instead to make texturing it simpler? I'm guessing it's the latter and what you want to do is remap both lightning pieces since they have an awkward overlapping assignment as they are now. Either way let me know, I can put this together for you in short time.

Basically, re-mapping the pieces so that they are easier to Skin would be ideal.

SickAlice

Here are the lightning objects for that nif remapped. The wireframe is included. All you have to do is import them into the nif.
http://catman.freedomforceforever.com/temp/lightning.rar

Cyber Burn

You rock SA, I really appreciate this, so I hate to ask, but could you do the same for the Bullet piece as well?

SickAlice

http://catman.freedomforceforever.com/temp/bullet.rar
Sorry the lightning is still confusing. That's the best I could adjust what was there. The first arc was separated (vertices weren't welded and it's comprised of multiple planes?),the second was one piece but had no mapping originally. I'm not sure why Irrational did it that way other than they didn't foresee that piece being skinned later perhaps? I can see why this one was so tricky.

Cyber Burn

Very much obliged SA, thank you. They way it was mapped (And lack thereof) was just not allowing me to give the FX a proper Skin, so I really appreciate this.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next question. RandomDays put together some awesome Weapon Packs (http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=56890.0) for Skopers. I was wondering if anyone knew how he did this. Basically, I think I want to make templates for a Sword, a Spear, and a Shield in that format. Once I get those, then that will open a lot of doors for me to create a little more diversity in regards to Weapons for my Skopes, and hopefully others will be able to find use for them as well.

Cyber Burn

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with a Skope. Basically, I added one of the Guns from RandomDays' Pistol Pack to a Mesh, not a problem, I have done it a few times previously, but for some reason, this time, the Gun has a very prominent shine to it in CTool2. The Skope is for  :ffvstr:.

I did a search on the subject and found the following thread: http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=57317.0

Unfortunately, I don't know if I am doing something wrong, or if the problems are due to different reasons. RandomDays' Gun does not have the "Refl" and "Glow" set up, so I'm not sure where to go from here to fix it. If it helps, I can show what I'm seeing in NifSkope.

Block List View:

Block Details View:

Since I would like to keep using RandomDays' Weapons Packs, if anyone has any advice or suggestions, I would gladly accept it, and would very much appreciate it.

Thank you in advance for any help on this.

windblown

Hey Cyber,
if you send the skope to me I'll fix it for you and I'll send a couple of pictures to you of the process (if it's what I think, it's very easy to do) :)

Cyber Burn

Quote from: windblown on October 19, 2014, 11:05:39 PM
Hey Cyber,
if you send the skope to me I'll fix it for you and I'll send a couple of pictures to you of the process (if it's what I think, it's very easy to do) :)

That would be awesome on all accounts Windblown. I am definitely interested in learning more.

You've got mail!

Thanks again!  :D

Cyber Burn

Thanks to Hoss20, SickAlice, and Windblown, I have finally, successfully, added the (Refl) and (Glow) to 2 Skopes. Thanks for all the time, advice, and patience that you have given to me. I definitely appreciate it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next question. I am trying to stretch out the head of a Mesh for a Skope, basically, I want to raise the forehead, and lower the chin. Is this something that can be done with NifSkope, or would I need to do this in Blender.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Cyber Burn on October 26, 2014, 12:33:00 AM
Thanks to Hoss20, SickAlice, and Windblown, I have finally, successfully, added the (Refl) and (Glow) to 2 Skopes. Thanks for all the time, advice, and patience that you have given to me. I definitely appreciate it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next question. I am trying to stretch out the head of a Mesh for a Skope, basically, I want to raise the forehead, and lower the chin. Is this something that can be done with NifSkope, or would I need to do this in Blender.

Never mind, I think I found an alternate solution. Thanks anyway.  :D

Cyber Burn

Unfortunately, I have to go back to the (Refl) and (Glow) questions. In this case, what do I do if the Mesh I am using does not have an Omni or Omni01 Branch in the Block List?

Is this something I can just copy and paste from another Mesh?

hoss20

I know that I've had success with doing that in the past.

Cyber Burn

Thanks Hoss, I wasn't sure if adding an Omni or Omni01 from another Mesh would mess up my Skope. Considering how long I've been doing this, I really don't know enough about Nif Files, and what each of their components do. SickAlice had previously directed me here: (http://niftools.sourceforge.net/doc/nif/), but I don't seem to see basic things, such as the Omni or Omni01, the Scene Root, or the Handle.

That being said, is there anything out there that gives a breakdown of the FF/FFvt3R Nif?

Cyber Burn

Hey everyone, I'm trying to Skope the Belt ties from Grenadier's "Demon_Gren" onto Valandar's "Male_Knife_Fighter", and I keep getting the following error message:

I've received this error before on other Skopes, but I've gotten past it by switching the pieces I've used for the Skope. Now, I'm just curious as to what the error actually is, and what it means. Thank you in advance for any advice on the subject.

SickAlice

My understanding is it means the node is linked to itself. I get this one a bit, especially when I import multiple particle emitters with different texture assignments in one nif (also when I worked with that Demon one as well). I'm sure it causes a bug of some sort but I've yet to encounter any problems arise from it being there. My fast track solution is I close out Nifskope and reopen it and do the process again. It normally doesn't happen the second time around if all else the third.

Cyber Burn

Thanks SA, this has been frustrating to say the least. I had tried this about half a dozen times yesterday, with no luck. I also tried attaching the Belt Ties to other Nodes, and I still received these errors.

Quote from: SickAlice on November 12, 2014, 02:21:50 PM
My understanding is it means the node is linked to itself.

Maybe I'll try and change the Nodes in the piece itself to see if I can get results that don't include an error message.

SickAlice

It is a good question though. Honestly I could never make heads or tails of the error. I spent a few hours going from forum to forum tonight and the same as usual which is disagreement on the issue. I have no clear understanding of the bug nor the resolution to it myself. At best I know that changing string names tends to be the direction to go but I've been there and the low road is the easier method, which is to try and reload else copy parts to an untainted version of the nif your using as a base.

I also did mess with this a bit tonight. Sort of. I don't have the knife fighter mesh. I do have Demon. So I went about skoping that piece (and the Tail node system when called for) to several randomly selected meshes. Never an issue.

I'm looking at your picture:
- The tree is correct, the Tail system is present and accounted for and the ties are where they should be in the Scene Root.
- Noting you have NiNode 229 highlighted which I presume Nifskope actually did. But,did you open the branch and see where exactly the issue is or is it right there? I ask because usually Nifskope jumps to a node but if you open it upon error you'll usually also find the specific line itself is highlighted too. It's hard to say exactly what the issue is here or at least what needs to be corrected without all the details. Noting 238 as well, what is that on your nif?

Like I say honestly when it comes to a real frag of a problem I usually skip a beat and take a cheater solution out. Maybe not proper form for the everyone's, yet I'd rather dedicate my time to things like sculpting and texturing and building stuff for my ever growing avatar then screw around with semantics. Of course as I said I haven't witnessed a problem ever arise from nif's I had that error with and just kept anyways. That isn't to say I haven't read tell tales of game crashes resulting from them (I note though that no error message nor data from the game engine is presented in these cases to indicate that is the actual source of the S.O.D., just saying) so who knows.

Sorry that isn't more helpful friend but as they say, when I know I guarantee you will too. I will add perhaps it wouldn't be a bad idea if you haven't already for some of the advanced questions to head to Nifskope central and see if you can hit up one of the programmers. They seem to be online a bit anyways.

* I keep forgetting this sorry but noting the link I directed you to earlier. While I'm at this time boggled by that myself and to quote Beetlejuice " It reads like stereo instructions " the answer to anything and everything is contained within that codex and most of what I know I got from there. When you hover over something in Nifskope most of it brings up a brief description of what it is. Putting that into the search field on that site link will bring you to the detailed version of it. Most of what you'll find is useless to anyone other than a person writing the Nifskope program itself however in almost every case what the values themselves do are laid out. Additionally I'm stumbling across features there of the Netimmerse filetype that I hadn't heard of before that I believe require further examination. Who knows, one of us may learn to do something radical by the end of it. It's worth skimming through from time to time at least.

SickAlice

Not any closer to a detailed explanation of the infinite recursive link issue but I did stumble upon a solution, at least one that's worked in every test I did so far. Copy the piece in question into the nif a second time, delete the original one. That's it. Not completely sure why this works but it does. So say the problem node is called " poop_hat " and it's attached to the Head node. You Copy (Branch) poop_hat, paste it to the Head node creating a double of the poop_hat and delete the original. You'll see the error doesn't occur for the new piece nor when you save the nif.

Cyber Burn

Nice catch SA, I was able to get the piece to work on the Skope I was working on, but I wasn't exactly sure what I did in the process. Having this advice will definitely be helpful. Thank you.

Cyber Burn

New question time.

I have a Skope based on Gren's "Thunderball_Heavy" that I'm working on. The Ball and Chain seem to be connected together, but I was hoping to either hide or remove just the Ball. Would anyone happen to know if this is possible, and if so could you guide me through it please?

SickAlice

I don't have that version myself rather his WC Thunderball (the last to recent version I think) but I'm going to assume it's sort of the same. Here would be two methods.

1.) Add an Alpha channel property if one isn't present as you normally would (Right Click>Node>Attach Property>NiAlphaProperty). Mine does not have one.
2.) On the .tga/.dds for the Ball and Chain (Extras here) add an Alpha channel. Alpha out the ball.

Or

Open it up in Blender. Click on the ball and chain highlighting and switch from object mode to edit mode. Delete the vertices that make up the ball. Switch back to object mode, highlight everything and export the new nif. Better to export it as a separate nif and skope the " no ball chain " where it's supposed to be in a clean version of the nif as Blender often messes up texture settings as well the structure of nifs.

Cyber Burn

Thanks SA, I had already set up the Alpha Channel, and gone that route, but I was wondering if NifSkope could be used for future reference.

I may still at least try the Blender route though, especially since the piece I replaced the Ball with has no Mapping or Texture to speak of.

hoss20

You can do this in Nifskope also, but it will take significantly longer than deleting the vertices in Blender. It's the method discussed awhile back on the subject of transplanting heads from one mesh to another. It is the method of pruning triangles and I still use it quite often. In this case, since the ball is comprised of 720 triangles that you would have to zero out individually, I'd stick with Blender. I'd be happy to post a little tutorial if you'd like or maybe find the old one.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: hoss20 on December 22, 2014, 04:58:53 AM
You can do this in Nifskope also, but it will take significantly longer than deleting the vertices in Blender. It's the method discussed awhile back on the subject of transplanting heads from one mesh to another. It is the method of pruning triangles and I still use it quite often. In this case, since the ball is comprised of 720 triangles that you would have to zero out individually, I'd stick with Blender. I'd be happy to post a little tutorial if you'd like or maybe find the old one.

That would actually be quite awesome, and even more appreciated.

Cyber Burn

Even though this is an issue with an FX, I'm going to post this here, because I tend to have this issue with some of my Skopes as well.

Basically, on some of my FX and Skopes, if I import an (Obj.) File into the (Nif.) File, the WireMap/Texture becomes a jumbled mess. I'm not sure what causes this, and it's really a hit or miss type deal. Some work fine, others, not so much.

For the FX I'm currently working on, this is what the Texture of the (Core.Nif) should look like:

For some reason though, the Texture of the (Nif) File comes out looking kind of jumbled up:

After seeing that, I created a WireMap to see what was going on, and unfortunately, this is what the WireMap looks like after importing the (Obj.) into the Nif File:

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if there is some sort of issue with the (Obj) Files that I have been using. Would anyone happen to have any suggestions?