City of Titans Kickstarter live

Started by catwhowalksbyhimself, October 02, 2013, 09:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catwhowalksbyhimself

The fan made successor to City of Heroes just went live with its kickstarter.  Feel free to check it out.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/missingworldsmedia/the-phoenix-project-city-of-titans
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Ephemeris

It's good to see some progress.  I'd love to pledge something, but we're moving so... money is a little tight atm. 

The trailer makes me miss CoH and hanging with everyone.

DrMike2000

Really nice to see how far this has come.
It would be great to see this project come to fruition. I'll certainly be sending a few bucks their way.
Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

catwhowalksbyhimself

Three days in and they've almost hit the goal, so it's looking good for this project.

In the meantime, Positron has been contacted and it endorsing this project and has even backed it on Kickstarter, so another good sign there.

http://www.fanboysanonymous.com/2013/10/missing-worlds-media-launches-city-of.html#.UlC2yVPgzbh

Uncle Yuan

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on October 06, 2013, 01:11:33 AM
Three days in and they've almost hit the goal, so it's looking good for this project.

In the meantime, Positron has been contacted and it endorsing this project and has even backed it on Kickstarter, so another good sign there.

http://www.fanboysanonymous.com/2013/10/missing-worlds-media-launches-city-of.html#.UlC2yVPgzbh

This is cool news, Cat!  I've put my nickel down.  I really hope this flies!
"But there's no use crying over every mistake
You just keep on trying 'till you run out of cake
And the science gets done, and you make a neat gun
For the people who are still alive."

stumpy

Is the goal for this project that it becomes another $15/month or pay-for-goodies MMO? I am just curious. It looks like they have some cool things coming along, but I wasn't sure what the end game is for the project. I never got into CoH/CoV as I started thinking I might have time for anther game just in time to come here and see that they were shutting the doors. But, if this CoT project is to have a similar revenue model, I wonder what changes to the business side they are making to ensure long-term viability.

In my ideal world, there would be a superhero game similar to NWN. With solid MP support, an easy-to-use toolset, and an architecture that allowed lots of people to run their own servers, develop their own worlds, and utilize community-made content.
Courage is knowing it might hurt, and doing it anyway. Stupidity is the same. And that's why life is hard. - Jeremy Goldberg

catwhowalksbyhimself

The payment will be a hybrid free to play system.  You have to buy the game and get a month's subscription.  After that, you can get playing as a free to play, or keep subscribing for additional benefits.

Mind you, plans might change well before release.

Lionheart

They've already exceeded their goal by about $40,000 -- and they still have 26 days to go.

Mantic

Quote from: stumpy on October 06, 2013, 10:09:28 PM
But, if this CoT project is to have a similar revenue model, I wonder what changes to the business side they are making to ensure long-term viability.

I believe that their stated intent was to go the hybrid subscription/microtransactions route in order to fund maintenance and expansion, but to design the server code such that if the commercial endeavor can't be maintained, it could be released to the public for private server use. After all, their whole organization was born out of having toys taken away (commercially viable or not), so they don't want to be in a position of doing the same. Of course, because they are using the Unreal 3 engine, any hard-coded architecture won't be accessible if the company folds, unless that architecture is externalized to DLLs (they will never be able to release full source code).

I kicked in since I was a CoH player who knows where they're coming from, and want to see them have a chance to succeed, but honestly? I'd rather see the modders and skinners from the Freedom Force community doing something comparable; the experience levels would be higher, and the design would probably favor modding more than microtransactions.

Ephemeris

Now that the house buying is over, I donated something and just under the wire.  I hope this gets made.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Well, at least in terms of fan support, it's looking good.  Over double asking donations so far.  Also, their planned systems and such sound fantastic.  Will such a fan driven volunteer-based game be able to transition successfully to professional MMO status?  I don't know.  Nothing quite like this has ever been done before, but I have very high hopes and have put some of my own hard earned cash down to make it happen.

BigAl1775

I won't give all the details here, but we have a Freedom member that was hired to work on it. :lol:
(Hint-not this guy.)
Dreadlok-Officer of Freedom Reborn on DCUO (PC)
              -Founder of Freedom Reborn on Marvel:Contest of Champions (tablet)