Issue 57: FX recolouring

Started by Jimaras8, October 22, 2013, 01:13:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimaras8

I would really really really hate if i had to convert at least 200 meshes image files. Especially if i have to do it one at a time. I had minimal problem with the tga except for some occassional pinking in-game. Never in theCT 2 and suddenly half of them are pink and many of them can't be seen. I base my hero files in keyframes customization so not be able to see the animations and their variables is confining me...A LOT. I really appreciate the support guys let's try to figure it out. Hoss i will send you the IF mesh the onje currently in my custom folder which is causing the problem. They are plenty other but that's the one in my mind right now.

spydermann93

Yeah, one thing that I started doing is converting each and every skin file from .tga to .dds when I install a new mesh.

Tedious to be sure, but definitely worth not having seas of pink if one hero that has a .dds skin is running around :P

Jimaras8

spydermann93

I use Paint.NET.

I used to use a Bulk Converter for it, but I updated my Paint.NET and stupidly deleted the old version's .exe. :doh:

I think that I have the old version backed-up somewhere on one of my old computers back at my house (I'm at my apartment, right now), but I won't be able to get to them until this weekend (at least, I hope to get to them by then :P).

I'll definitely let you know :)

AfghanAnt

Quote from: spydermann93 on February 11, 2015, 08:52:18 AM
I use Paint.NET.

I used to use a Bulk Converter for it, but I updated my Paint.NET and stupidly deleted the old version's .exe. :doh:

I think that I have the old version backed-up somewhere on one of my old computers back at my house (I'm at my apartment, right now), but I won't be able to get to them until this weekend (at least, I hope to get to them by then :P).

I'll definitely let you know :)

There is/was a bulk dds converter? I would be really interested if it didn't reduce the quality. I've tried other dds converters and Photoshop one is the only one that retains quality

spydermann93

The one that I was using didn't reduce quality.

And do you have a link to the Photoshop bulk converter that you use?

When converting, I'm still a bit unsure of what settings to set the conversion to when converting the skin files.

With Paint.NET, it's just A8R8G8B8 and voila! Same quality skins, just in .dds!

hoss20

Jim, the Iron Fist that you sent me is for FF1 and needs to be converted. I tried pasting a piece from a skope that I knew was for 3rd Reich onto it and received a message stating that they weren't compatible nifs. This explains the message you were receiving. I went ahead and converted it and it works fine. I also double checked and Gren's Iron Fist does not work in FFVTTR without conversion. I don't really know what could have happened unless you had done some sort of system restore to your operating system. Even that, though, doesn't usually revert individual files.

So, for all of the meshes you are now having trouble with, I would go ahead and see about converting them again. I went ahead and sent you back the converted Iron Fist. Definitely let me know if it is still causing you problems.

Cyber Burn

In regards to bulk conversion for your Skins, you could try "XnConvert". There is occasional quality loss, but it's not too noticeable in game.

If you're interested, the link is here: http://www.xnview.com/en/

Jimaras8

Hoss this is beyond weird. I have one IF mesh in my custom folder and it's the one i am using in-game. I swear to God the mesh works in-game and i can't see it in the CT. How can a mesh that needs conversion works in  :ffvstr:? Still that doesn't explain the pinking problem that started out fo the blue. There is some sort of problme and the mesh is just the tip. THx for the help and the time Hoss. I will try to convert the meshes see if that works.

Amazo Version 2.2

i've read many times that this is a memory issue, having too many meshes in your custom folder may be a cause of the pinking. using tga files instead of dds files in  :ffvstr: may also be a problem.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

spydermann93

Quote from: Jimaras8 on February 12, 2015, 08:37:13 AM
Hoss this is beyond weird. I have one IF mesh in my custom folder and it's the one i am using in-game. I swear to God the mesh works in-game and i can't see it in the CT. How can a mesh that needs conversion works in  :ffvstr:? Still that doesn't explain the pinking problem that started out fo the blue. There is some sort of problme and the mesh is just the tip. THx for the help and the time Hoss. I will try to convert the meshes see if that works.

There might be a part of the mesh that is messing up the Character Tool, but the game either ignores it or doesn't see it as a problem.

You'll run into this with some of Gren's meshes. The Character Tool can't load some of them, but they work fine in-game. After a quick run-through of the NifConverter, the Character Tool sees them just fine :yes:

Jimaras8

Ok guys, long time no see. I hope you are all well. I am getting back in the hf business and i was wondering if there are any Boom-Boom meshes and fx. I remember seeing in USAgent hf that he used a boom-boom time bomb fx. Is there something like that out here? And what are my options regarding boom-boom meshes and skopes?

Cyber Burn

I believe that Afghan Ant has a "Tabitha Smith" Skope in his Marvel section (I think that's "Boom Boom").

There should be some Skins for her in the Marvel Skins that I linked you to (They should be called "Boomer").

And Adclaw has the FX you want here: http://frp.unlimited2.net/fxforce/public_html/FXLOW.html

Jimaras8

Thx a ton CB. Are those for FF1 or will they work with  :ffvstr:? I have noticed some old fx have delayed effect times.

Cyber Burn

I believe, if you switch the End Nif of the problem FX with one from FFvt3R, then the delay issue vanishes.

Jimaras8

Quote from: Cyber Burn on March 29, 2015, 09:07:39 PM
I believe, if you switch the End Nif of the problem FX with one from FFvt3R, then the delay issue vanishes.

Any end nif from  :ffvstr:? For example if i switch energy beam x end nif with any probelmatic end.nif the dealy effect will be solved?

Cyber Burn

I believe so. Using an End Nif from a FFvt3R FX should remove the time delay in the FX, as to what End Nif you decide to use, shouldn't really matter.

Jimaras8

Wow, that's the first time i am hearing this. This will solve a lot of issues i am having with fx that take time to activate. Thx CB i can't believe i hadn't addressed that since now.

Jimaras8

CB i tested the method and it doesn't seem to work. I replaced Boom-Boom time bomb end.nif with radbotls_red end.nif and the delay effect still applies. I don't seem to find any original  :ffvstr: fx. Where are they placed? In the main generic folder of the game i seem to only find the custom fx.  Also just to be clear when you are saying "replace" you mean just copying the  :ffvstr: end.nif in the generic folder and in the folder of the problematic fx right? I don't need to do any tampering with the nifskope.

Amazo Version 2.2

Quote from: Jimaras8 on March 30, 2015, 02:29:51 PM
I don't seem to find any original  :ffvstr: fx. Where are they placed?

did you unzip and extract your art.ff file? that should give you access to the original  :ffvstr: fx.
For anyone, and everyone, who has ever done anything to improve the FF/FFvs3R gaming experience, I want to say thank you. Life is so short, and you have all brought me so much joy. I hope that one day, I am somehow able to return the kindness and generosity that all of you have shown.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Jimaras8 on March 30, 2015, 02:29:51 PM
CB i tested the method and it doesn't seem to work. I replaced Boom-Boom time bomb end.nif with radbotls_red end.nif and the delay effect still applies. I don't seem to find any original  :ffvstr: fx. Where are they placed? In the main generic folder of the game i seem to only find the custom fx.  Also just to be clear when you are saying "replace" you mean just copying the  :ffvstr: end.nif in the generic folder and in the folder of the problematic fx right? I don't need to do any tampering with the nifskope.

If I remember correctly, Boom Boom's "Time Bombs" were Yellow, right? I've got an idea for an updated FX if you're interested.

Jimaras8

QuoteIf I remember correctly, Boom Boom's "Time Bombs" were Yellow, right? I've got an idea for an updated FX if you're interested.

Any new fx is welcome. However i would also like to solve the delaying issue since there is a solution. Amazo wrote above and suggested to extract the art.ff file. To be clear you are not referring to art folder, am i right? The only fx i found there were the custom ones. Where is the art.ff file?

One last thing. When i replaced the end.nif od radbolts i noticed the time bomb had a red hue in the end apparently from the radbolt. So i guess the end.nif affects the appearance of the fx after all?

Amazo Version 2.2

how cyber explained it to me, and i hope i'm remembering right, is that the end nifs for explosive projectiles from  :ff: had a timing issue in  :ffvstr:. so in order to counter that, you need to replace that end nif with a similar end nif from an fx from  :ffvstr:. in your fx folder, if you're only seeing the "generic" and "_textures" folders, then you haven't unzipped your art.ff folder. and it's from there that you'll find an end nif that should work.

but if i'm wrong, or didn't explain things completely, mqybe someone with more fx experience could step in.

windblown

I use the end .nif of Liberty Lad's proximity grenade for Boom Boom's FXs. You'll find it if you follow Amazo instructions on the previous post.

hoss20

The art.ff file is found in the Irrational Games->Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich->Data folder. Right click on it and choose Open. Then choose Select a program from a list of installed programs. Here you will pick whatever program or application you use to unzip files. Once extracted, the Art folder containing the FX will be located here: Irrational Games->Freedom Force vs The 3rd Reich->Data->library->fx. In there you will see the generic folder which contains the nifs for the FX and the _textures folder that contains the art files (either dds or tga files).

Jimaras8

Thank for the detailed process Hoss. I knew what i supposed to do but i just couldn't find the .ff file. It seems i was looking for inside the art folder instead of the data folder. I was one step ahead  :D. Thank all for the tips.

Windblown, won't the end.nif collide somehow with how the fx looks in-game? I noticed that when i used radbolts_red the end of the time-bomb had a red hue.

hoss20

Each part of the FX is different (start, core, end) and the nifs and art files combine to make the FX. Windblown suggested the Liberty Lad Proximity Grenade because its end.nif is a yellow/orange explosion. I don't mean to offend you by saying this, but the reason the end of your edited time bomb FX is red is because you used the end.nif from radbolts_red.

For example, say you have an FX with a flare at the hand, then a beam that ends with an explosion. The set up for the FX would be Flare (start.nif), Beam (core.nif), and Explosion (end.nif). If you use a red start.nif, a white core.nif, and a blue end.nif, then your FX will go Red Flare, then White Beam, and end with a Blue Explosion.

If you had used the end.nif from radbolts_yellow, then the end of your new time bomb FX would have been yellow.

Another thing to note is that all of the different colored radbolts use the same nifs, it's just the art files used to color the nifs that are different. This is generally true for all FX that are the same, but come with different colored options (eyebeam, fireball, flamefist, etc.). Unfortunately, there's no way to have one FX and its nifs point to different art files to make different colored FX, so we have to have a copies of the same FX (and its nifs) with different art files assigned to make the color alternatives.

I'm really sorry if I just tried to explain a whole bunch of stuff you already knew.

Jimaras8

Hahahah Hoss i figured that the hue was red due to the radbolts .nif, no worries. I still have some deduction abilities  :D :D. I was just kinda buffed by what CB said, that it didn't matter what end.nif you are using. Well i guess it matters visually only. We cleared that out.

Follow-up question: What happens what a fx doesn't have a end.nif to replace? Most direct fc don't if i recall. Let's say Cable_repel which also has a delay effect. Do i need to replace the core.nif?

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Jimaras8 on April 01, 2015, 10:20:29 AM
Hahahah Hoss i figured that the hue was red due to the radbolts .nif, no worries. I still have some deduction abilities  :D :D. I was just kinda buffed by what CB said, that it didn't matter what end.nif you are using. Well i guess it matters visually only. We cleared that out.

Sorry Jim, I should have been more clear on that.

Quote from: Jimaras8 on April 01, 2015, 10:20:29 AM
Follow-up question: What happens what a fx doesn't have a end.nif to replace? Most direct fc don't if i recall. Let's say Cable_repel which also has a delay effect. Do i need to replace the core.nif?

You could replace the "Core.Nif" with a similar "End.Nif", and just rename that "End.Nif" to "Core.Nif". I can't give you a recommendation right now since I'm not really familiar with the FX.

Jimaras8

QuoteYou could replace the "Core.Nif" with a similar "End.Nif", and just rename that "End.Nif" to "Core.Nif". I can't give you a recommendation right now since I'm not really familiar with the FX.

Hm, i guess Microwave's materiaze could work as a replacement. What do you guys think.

Sorry i am firing those like a machine gun and i know they are fitting for this thread but i was wondering how i could change the flying fx for a character. I am not talking about a special power, let me clear this out. I want to make a Jean grey hf and i noticed a telekinetic flight fx. How can i adjust it so when Jean uses he telekinesis to fly the effect will appear? Not afterburner or sonic boom, normal flight.