Please login or register.

Login with email, password and session length

News:

Celebrate Freedom!

Author Topic: Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!  (Read 21945 times)

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
JJ S2's biggest sin is that it's just... ok. Again, I don't think it's bad... elements of it don't sit well with me (I stated my biggest issue in the spoilers) but it was still worth the time it took to watch, and I'm interested in seeing where things go from there.

As for the others... I'm excited for Iron Fist S2 now (assuming we get THIS Danny and not the "Who am I?" Danny we had last season) which is the character I was most frustrated with before. Punisher... I'm sorry, I know people like him, but that character will NEVER be my cup of tea, no matter how well he's written. I don't mind him in other series, but I am not going to watch anything with him as the main character.

Offline Shogunn2517

• He's Got Your Hero Right Here
Just out of curiosity, what did you think of the Danny/Iron Fist from the Defenders, Tomato?

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
On Defenders

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On Luke Cage season 2:

Offline Shogunn2517

Hm.  Thanks.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
  • May the Porg be with you.
Meant to post my thoughts now that finished the season, but sum it up quick I quite enjoyed this season of Luke Cage and I agree that it was an improvement on season 1. To reiterate stuff that was already said here, Iron Fist was a lot more fun in this than in past appearances (the moment he stepped onto the scene he felt like a completely different character from before, in a good way), Mariah was used very well, Bushmaster was indeed a very cool antagonist, and the ending was very intriguing and does have me curious to see where they would go in a future installment.
"I just love doing cameos!"
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
Here's a new teaser for Iron Fist S2 a lot of you are going to want to see:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5FAWnFRI0

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline daglob

• Shape-Shifting Silly-Putty Android
  • Da Glob
I saw an announcement for Iron Fist blaring the fact that he now has his "goofy looking" mask (which is a lie, he doesn't look a bit like Goofy).

Offline Shogunn2517

Hahahahaha!

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
Are you laughing at the mask, what I said, or what Daglob said?

I guess I was right, Finn Jones said in an interview that there will indeed be multiple versions of the mask. No big surprise there, but I'm still glad to hear it.

I saw an announcement for Iron Fist blaring the fact that he now has his "goofy looking" mask

Well, they gotta get their clickbait ad revenue somehow.... :rolleyes:
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Online BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
Re: Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!
« Reply #429 on: September 24, 2018, 01:33:31 AM »
So, who's watching Iron Fist?

We're most of the way through Iron Fist, and it may be true that it's better than the first season, but I'm not actually sure about that.  As weird and weak as the first season was, some of its story lines, like the Meachum family nightmare, were pretty darn interesting. 

Here are some non-spoilery, general thoughts, but avoid them if you don't want to know even general info about the season.

This season is probably better over all, but it lacks some of the more compelling moments of the first season.  Colleen continues to be the best thing about the show, especially when teamed with with Misty, and, sadly, Danny continues to be the worst.  The show just grinds to a screech halt whenever he's on screen.  Despite promises of a lighter, more centered take on the character, he's still super emo and, while not as whiny, is just not that interesting or likeable.  In contrast, the episode with Misty and Colleen investigating and kicking backside is probably the best in either season, just fun and exciting, and compelling.  They really need to give those two a show together.  Ward has gotten some great moments, and he continues to be one of the show's strengths.  The newly introduced Walker is pretty interesting as well, a pleasant surprise, especially given the mess that was the attempt at mystery that came with her first few appearances.  Joy, for her part, is doing a good job with the material they give her, but her motivations are WAY too weak to justify her role.

We'll see it through to the end, but I'm not overly impressed with their new direction.  It's still overly serious and overly angsty.  And my goodness, the first four or so episodes are just PAINFULLY slow!  Someone needs to go through their scripts with a machete and tighten things up dramatically.  I'd love to see a brighter, livelier approach to this character.  I know he's standing in for Daredevil, but that doesn't mean he needs the same tone.....'cause he can't pull it off!  :lol:
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out my DC voicepacks at my yahoo group.
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey/
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/bentongrey2

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #430 on: September 25, 2018, 12:26:05 AM »
I have finished the second season and... Well, your criticism is VALID, but the last couple episodes throw a twist in there that kind of explains WHY those things are happening. Keeping this bit in spoilers, read at your own risk.

Online BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #431 on: September 25, 2018, 01:20:43 AM »
I think we're an episode or so from the end, and while I haven't read your spoilers, I think I can see what is coming...and I don't think I'm going to like it.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #432 on: September 25, 2018, 01:55:57 AM »
I did see it back when it came out but didn't feel up to posting my thoughts here since nobody else was talking about it. It was ok, but I gotta admit I was seriously zoning out during the second half or so. Though I'll admit, the ending did intrigue me. I agree with Benton, Coleen is still the best character, her teaming up with Misty was great, and Ward is still one of the better components of the show. I'd meant to bring him up when season 1 came out actually, Benton, I remember you saying back then that you found the actor compelling. Well, funny that you would say that, because just before IF S1 came out I'd watched a cable show called Banshee with some of my buddies (very good show, but you'd probably not care for it - it's incredibly edgy and lurid) and Ward's actor played a character on it and he was quite compelling in that too - one of the best characters really. So I thought it was neat he popped up in this to elevate the proceedings.

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Tomato

• The Original AA
  • Titans
  • Hufflepuff Pride
    • Hero Force
« Reply #433 on: September 25, 2018, 06:32:39 PM »
I meant to mention this earlier, but Mary Walker is loosely based on Typhoid Mary.

I would say this season is better than the previous one, if for no reason other than it actually having themes and ideas present throughout. I will say, I don't nescessarily agree that Danny was the worst element... He's not great, but any scene with Ward was great, I love their chemistry. Personally, Davos frustrated me more... When I feel there's more believable acting coming from the teenager subbing in, that's not great. And don't get me wrong, the potential is there... I just feel whoever directed him was telling him to play a block of wood.

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #434 on: October 20, 2018, 03:08:44 AM »
THEY'VE CANCELLED LUKE CAGE!?!

I mean, I get Iron Fist, I heard about it, but LUKE CAGE too?! I can only imagine this is being done HOPEFULLY for a Heroes for Hire series on Google Play, but dagnabbit, I couldn't have seen this coming at all!

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #435 on: October 20, 2018, 08:59:03 AM »
I was surprised too. We were outright told the Marvel Netflix shows weren't going anywhere, but apparently that just meant the existing seasons would not be removed from Neflix. This may or may not be another extension of what I've been calling the Disney Purge. I.e. Remove all Disney content from the world that isn't on a Disney channel or streaming platform.

Shame too because, as has been said already, including by me, LC S2 was actually really damn good. And I say that as someone who didn't really dig S1. And it left off on a super intriguing sequel hook.

Maybe they'll be a Heroes for Hire series or something.

Anyway, not to get too distracted by bummer of an announcement....

Daredevil S2 came out. I started watching it with some peoples and I'm about episode 8 or so. Daredevil's still pretty great. Critics have saying it's not only the best season of DD, but the best Marvel Netflix show yet. I'm not sure about that, but it's probably better than DS2.

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Online BentonGrey

• Titans
    • The Greylands
« Reply #436 on: October 20, 2018, 05:14:40 PM »
Wow...that is really surprising.  IF being cancelled is certainly understandable because it was just not good (though they seem to have cancelled it when it was just getting interesting!).  But why in the world would they cancel LC?  It was actually pretty darn good.
God Bless

Offline catwhowalksbyhimself

• Lord of Procrastination
    • Freedom Force Forever
« Reply #437 on: October 20, 2018, 09:39:26 PM »
I am now wondering if we're going to see all the various Marvel shows get cancelled one by one, to let Disney keep all future shows exclusive to it own streaming service.

Amusingly, the breaking up of streaming television into multiple paid channels is causing tv pirating, which had nearly gone away to make a recent resurgence.  These people are making a mistake by making it too difficult for people to watch their shows.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #438 on: October 20, 2018, 11:48:08 PM »
I am now wondering if we're going to see all the various Marvel shows get cancelled one by one, to let Disney keep all future shows exclusive to it own streaming service.

Yeah, see, this is why I roll my eyes at people who pump their fists at the prospect of Disney buying up Fox and getting the X-Men and Fantastic Four back. It might seem like like a good thing but the cost is severe. One company (Disney) getting a monopoly comes with downsides, it means they set the terms and they call the shots.

I look forward to seeing how big the backlash to Luke Cage's cancellation is. Between it being a much better received show than IF and the positive representation that permeates the show, I think people will make a lot of noise about it. I do wonder if Disney is just going to cancel each show one by one, just on a different day. If they announce JJ, DD or Punisher cancelled the writing will be firmly on the wall.

Amusingly, the breaking up of streaming television into multiple paid channels is causing tv pirating, which had nearly gone away to make a recent resurgence.  These people are making a mistake by making it too difficult for people to watch their shows.

Oh really? This is my surprised face.  :o  I remember a few months ago when a trailer came out for a new Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon and it was going straight to Amazon Prime. I lamented the days of my youth where kids could just turn on the the tv and watch their cartoons. Now you need to have cable, AND have multiple (increasingly expensive!) streaming services just to watch your shows and even then you're not guaranteed to get all the stuff you wanted to watch. I've got two: Netflix and Funimation Now, and it's going to be three if Canada gets the Disney streaming service. And I still don't get Legion and Cloak and Dagger.
~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline Shogunn2517

« Reply #439 on: October 21, 2018, 06:48:12 AM »
Not to bury the lead but, I gotta give it to Daredevil's show runners. If they're indeed cancelling all of Marvel's Netflix shows this one went out with a buzzer beater. I'm not going to say off rip that I liked it better than season 1, definitely better than S2. They did a lot of right with this. A few complaints. But I'm happy with the finished product. Happy with the ending. And look forward to the revival on Disney Play!

Speaking of, I remember looking at Sister Maggie and noticing a scene with her looking at Matt with a slightly raised eyebrow and it struck me that I've seen that face somewhere before. Couldn't place it at first but I remember seeing that same look wearing medieval armor... Thought about Timeline or Dragon heart... But no. Then it hit me.

Sorsha from Willow. Hadn't seen her in 30 years but proud of myself that I was able to place it!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 06:57:06 AM by Shogunn2517 »

Offline Silver Shocker

• Cuddly mascot
« Reply #440 on: October 21, 2018, 11:50:11 AM »
Finished it last night. Pretty great, that second-to-last scene was kinda a perfect ending to the whole series, if they were to never make any more, speaking of which, I kinda feel like they shouldn't make any more DD. This one kinda said everything that needed to be said. As Walt Disney once said, you can't top pigs with pigs, and I'm not sure what they could top it with.

~Stan Lee, 1922-2018

Offline UnkoMan

• Gummy Hand of Justice
  • Evil is afoot! No, the whole leg!
« Reply #441 on: November 09, 2018, 10:15:13 PM »
Yeah, I liked season 3.

Hopefully if JJ gets a third season it manages to bring it like this, or like it did in the first season. I really want to see Patsy put on a Hellcat outfit and get in over her head.

And Luke... oh no, Luke. I mean, the end of season 2 is just so... obviously the middle of a story that needs to be told.
Actually, is DD S3 suppose to take place at the same time as Luke or what's the deal? It confused me that with all this various underground crime, considering where Luke was left. Well, you know what I mean, right?

How come all these heroes are like, "No, this is my fight. No, I have to do this alone."
Like, you don't have these other people on speed dial? "Yo, I need help beating somebody up, you in?"
Oh well, lone wolves.