Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crimsonquill

Quote from: JeyNyce on June 24, 2014, 02:17:10 AM
Am I missing something here?  Why does everybody thinks that she will be playing as a costume hero?  I thought she may be his love interest or "sidekick".  Anyway, she being label as a possible "Night Nurse" if anybody remembers that character.

Makes sense, Night Nurse is probably one of Daredevil's most significant supporting characters since her role ties into both his costumed life and his lawyer life. Plus if they were going to crossover into other hero shows Night Nurse would be taking care of other street level heroes as well.. so there could be lots of room for name dropping just in passing conversations.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

BentonGrey

Hey, that guy does look the part of the Kingpin.  I hope these shows turn out to be good, not too obsessed with being 'grim and gritty.'
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

kkhohoho

Quote from: BentonGrey on June 24, 2014, 04:11:51 PM
Hey, that guy does look the part of the Kingpin.  I hope these shows turn out to be good, not too obsessed with being 'grim and gritty.'

...Except that Daredevil is 'grim and gritty', usually anyway. Any given adaption of Daredevil, including this one, is likely to draw from the Frank Miller days; it can't be anything but 'grim and gritty.' And likewise, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones/Alias all have a 'gritter' and/or more urban tone to them than more mainstream Marvel comics, such as Captain America or Thor. And there's nothing wrong with being 'grim and gritty' if done right.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Starman

It's ... Daredevil. Aside from Mark Waid's current run, the best runs of Daredevil are the gritty runs of Frank Miller, Ann Noncenti, Brian Michael Benis, Ed Brubaker and Andy Diggle.

As kkhohoho mentioned, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are two more "street level" heroes. Luke Cage's background includes street gangs and prisons and he operated in Harlem. Jessica Jones was introduced via her own mature-aged Marvel MAX series as a private investigator. You can't really do either of these characters without being gritty.

Talavar

Quote from: Starman on June 25, 2014, 08:44:28 AM

It's ... Daredevil. Aside from Mark Waid's current run, the best runs of Daredevil are the gritty runs of Frank Miller, Ann Noncenti, Brian Michael Benis, Ed Brubaker and Andy Diggle.

As kkhohoho mentioned, Luke Cage and Jessica Jones are two more "street level" heroes. Luke Cage's background includes street gangs and prisons and he operated in Harlem. Jessica Jones was introduced via her own mature-aged Marvel MAX series as a private investigator. You can't really do either of these characters without being gritty.

Mark Waid has a pretty great Daredevil run going right now, and it's about the least grim Daredevil has ever been.  It's refreshing.

kkhohoho

Quote from: Talavar on June 25, 2014, 01:54:45 PM
Quote from: Starman on June 25, 2014, 08:44:28 AM

Mark Waid has a pretty great Daredevil run going right now, and it's about the least grim Daredevil has ever been.  It's refreshing.

That's still just one run, and it's the most recent, built on years of established continuity. Any Daredevil adaption made nowadays is likely to look back towards the earlier material, including the grim and gritty stuff.
The Golden Age; 'A different look at a different era.'

http://archiveofourown.org/works/1089779/chapters/2193203

Podmark

I have a feeling being on Netflix will give the creators the freedom to be more "grim and gritty". That said I don't think they'll go too far as this is still part of the MCU and they won't want to alienate too much of the existing audience.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Shogunn2517

Thread hasn't been updated in a while, and not sure if it should be split into a separate thread for just Daredevil either.  But for the time being, here's an update for the series.  a screenshot of Daredevil in and out of "costume". 

http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/12/6965551/this-is-what-marvels-daredevil-will-look-like-on-netflix

FYI, the series, which will be a set 13 episode, single story-arc series that will be followed by similar series featuring Jessica Jones, Iron Fist and Luke Cage and a final series featuring all four as The Defenders.  It is set to premiere next May, also starring Deborah Ann Woll(True Blood), Elden Henson(Mighty Ducks series/The Hunger Games: Mockingjay), Rosario Dawson(Sin City/Sin City: A Dame to Kill For/Clerks 2) and Vincent D'Onofrio(Full Metal Jacket/Law & Order: Criminal Intent).

JeyNyce

So the movies will have the Avengers and the TV will have the Defenders.  I'm ok with this.  When I was a kid I always thought of the Defenders as a street level Avengers type team
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Starman

Pretty much everything I've read about the "Daredevil" TV show so far has sounded good to me. Then again, so did the press for "The Strain"...

lugaru

Quote from: Tomato on June 11, 2014, 09:00:57 AM
Except that goes against the nature of the Punisher's origin... sure, he might get more brutal as time goes on, but the reason Punisher starts killing people is very specific: he kills criminals because of the death of his family. There is no shift like you're describing, ever... they die, he starts killing criminals.

Kinda... sorta... Garth Ennis did a lot to humanize The Punisher but he also made him into a slightly Dexter character... he did a BUNCH of tours of nam because he could not really stop. Sure, a tragedy set him off but he was always looking for a new war. Jason Aaron also carried this on a little further, making it so that Frank Castle was going a little Taxi Driver while his family was still alive and when they died... it was in a way a convenient excuse for him to declare one final and never ending war.

lugaru

Quote from: Starman on October 15, 2014, 12:37:19 AM
Pretty much everything I've read about the "Daredevil" TV show so far has sounded good to me. Then again, so did the press for "The Strain"...

How is that anyways? I love the first two novels (have not started the 3rd) but the show has apparently been way under the radar (it does not get covered much) which makes me think it may not be too successful.

Starman

QuoteHow is that anyways? I love the first two novels (have not started the 3rd) but the show has apparently been way under the radar (it does not get covered much) which makes me think it may not be too successful.

I'm not a fan of the novels, but even so, the show was a pretty lame adaptation. A considerable amount of the dialogue, acting and direction was poor ... it's a show that you could file alongside Under The Dome, The Following, Helix, etc, although it's admittedly better than those shows. And The Master looks really, really silly.

Shogunn2517

SWEET (Merry) CHRISTMAS!

http://www.cnn.com/2014/12/23/showbiz/tv/feat-mike-coulter-luke-cage/

Also buried within this was the news that Krysten Ritter(the "B in Apartment 23") has been cast as Jessica Jones.

Tomato

So word on the street is that David Tennant will be playing the main antagonist of the Jessica Jones show, supposedly as Zebidiah Kilgrave, aka the Purple Man.

Silver Shocker

That's actually confirmed.

While many geeks know Tennant as The Doctor (he's my favorite of the modern era Doctors), I saw a little bit of him on Gracepoint and he seemed really good in that. So I'm sure he'll be great in this. It's a really promising casting. They say he might not be The Purple Man right away though, which I'm ok with. His brief appearance in the 4th Harry Potter movie proves that he can play a creepy villain.

I never read Alias, but Purple Man was a great villain in New Thunderbolts.  I look forward to seeing how they do him in the show.

In addition, Rachel Taylor has been cast as Patsy Walker/Hellcat.

She will apparently be radio host Patricia "Trish" Walker. I had no idea who Taylor was, until I read that she was the Australian hacker in the first Bayformers movie. No idea if she'll be any good in this.

I'll also say that based on her role in Breaking Bad (the only thing I've seen her in) I think Krysten Ritter will do a good job as Jessica Jones. She was my favorite of the actresses that were said to be in the running.

The Netflix shows are shaping up to be surprisingly promising so far.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Shogunn2517

bat1987

Looks really good! The shot of Kingpin was exactly what I thought it would be. Also its just funny how people are freaking out about the costume already. I mean if you plan on doing that at least inform yourself before doing so. It's based on the comics and they also said he will be going to his more traditional red suit eventually.

bat1987

Kingpin fully revealed. Looks powerful and intimidating like he should. Hopefully he wears his white suit at some point.

http://www.newsarama.com/23669-kingpin-rises-in-new-daredevil-images.html

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

Yeah, very impressed. Definitely looks the part. I'm always surprised he's the same guy who played Edgar in the original Men in Black movie.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

catwhowalksbyhimself

I saw this elsewhere, and yeah, he looked like the kingpin.  They actually got him to look even larger than I thought they would making him a good match.  Very impressive.

Edit: This isn't actually the picture I saw before.  This is.  Gives you an even better look at him.

http://www.nerdist.com/2015/03/marvel-daredevil-netflix-series-first-look-kingpin-vincent-donofrio/
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Tomato

So... Daredevil's entire season is on Netflix now. I'm on episode 3, and... wow. This show has been amazing.

Figure Fan

I'm on episode 7 currently and I agree with Tomato. Such great casting all around.

HarryTrotter

''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

I'm up to episode 3 as well and it must be pretty good because the Mrs is watching it with me and she's not a big comic fan.  She loves how the Kingpin was introduce, but she didn't like the fact that in the first episode how they kept mentioning the attack from the Avengers movie.  We get it, they are in the same universe.
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

Jimaras8

You get it, the general audience might not realize it since the tone is kinda darker. Also, i think they referenced 2-3 times. That isn't overkill in a 55 minute episode  :D

Jimaras8

Out of curiosity Spade which superhero show do you consider the best or even great?