Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BWPS

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jacelacob/marvel-teams-with-netflix-for-four-original-series-and-mini?s=mobile

I know how much you guys hate the idea of Marvel shows with actual superheroes,  but this has me  excited!
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

Jimaras8

Um, why do we hate the idea of Tv Shows with actual superheroes? It's like Halloween without the costumes. I LOVE the idea of street lvl superheroes that beat thugs in the night. I just want their costumes to be done correctly and we won't see that motorcycle attire that Daredevil had in the movie. The whole idea sounds great since Netflix will proadcast the series so the context will be more mature. Fingers crossed for a Punisher Tv Series. That would blow my mind!

Starman

Between this announcement and the CW working on DC's The Flash, Hourman, Gotham and iZombie, plus the big slate of Marvel and DC films coming up ... damn, that seems like a lot of superheroes :/

I'm a fan of all the characters mentioned, so I'm excited to a degree but I really hope Marvel don't overdo it. Is be happy with one quality Marvel TV show rather than 5 mediocre ones. Time will tell, I'll guess.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Quote from: BWPS on November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM
I know how much you guys hate the idea of Marvel shows with actual superheroes,  but this has me  excited!

Of course we don't.  I for one, am looking forward to this.  The one question this doesn't answer is if these will be part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe or not.  That's what I'd like to know.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

Podmark

This is very exciting! Kinda surprised Marvel would shift Daredevil to TV rather than film though.

I guess I have to get Netflix now?...
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

thalaw2

If Netflix can do the shows with the same quality as Orange is the New Black...then I'm all in. 

I hate superhero shows so much that I'll watch these in protest.
革命不会被电视转播

detourne_me

I think Daredevil would work better as a tv show actually.  You can have a procedural court drama, and the superhero element.
Keeping all of these shows in Harlem is really going to help with the budget too.  No expensive locations.

Now, since they are going to be on Netflix, I hope they'll be able to up the maturity a little. Agents of shield still isn't hooking me, and every time coulson speaks, I think he's talking about Disneyland. "It's a magical place."

BentonGrey

Color me mildly interested.  I'd watch a Daredevil show, if it were done well.  The Heroes for Hire one might also pique my interest.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

BlueBard

All of those sound like workable TV-type series.

But dark, gritty, and ultra-violent don't play in my house, so it's not very likely I'll get to watch any of them.  And to be honest, none of them are favorite characters of mine.

My kids would be expecting the Danny Rand and Luke Cage they see in the USM cartoon -- and I'm not expecting that at all.

Interesting, though, how Marvel has positioned Iron Fist and Power Man.  Marketed to the kids as teen superheroes in USM, now a Netflix series.  And I heard the voice of the actor who does Iron Fist in USM in a LEGO Marvel Super Heroes one-off -- as LEGO Iron Fist.  I don't think this is entirely accidental.  Makes me wonder about the long-term plans of the evil marketing genius behind this.
STO/CO: @bluegeek

Talavar

Word just came down today that all of these series are actually getting filmed in New York.  That'll look great, plus filming in NY ain't cheap, which suggests some real money & hopefully talent behind these.

lugaru

Quote from: Podmark on November 08, 2013, 12:42:44 AM
This is very exciting! Kinda surprised Marvel would shift Daredevil to TV rather than film though.

I guess I have to get Netflix now?...

Honestly I find that Daredevil is one of the most 'episodic' heroes... the daredevil Movie had a lot of problems but my main one was that they crammed all of his major plotlines into a single flick.

I would love to see him (or She Hulk for example) having court cases, ongoing cat and mouse with the Kingpin and relationships that fade in and out. He is made for a Boston Legal meets Batman style show.

thalaw2

[quote author=BlueBard link=topic=56740.msg767520#msg767520 date=1384265299

Interesting, though, how Marvel has positioned Iron Fist and Power Man.  Marketed to the kids as teen superheroes in USM, now a Netflix series.  And I heard the voice of the actor who does Iron Fist in USM in a LEGO Marvel Super Heroes one-off -- as LEGO Iron Fist.  I don't think this is entirely accidental.  Makes me wonder about the long-term plans of the evil marketing genius behind this.
[/quote]

I see where you're going, BB and I agree 100%.  It does not at all seem accidental.  It's possible for Marvel to have something for the kids and something for the older crowd without trying to do a crossover, especially since what I've seen in Netflix series is not for children.  I doubt it's an attempt to get more adults to watch the kiddie versions.  I was looking forward to these shows and this really taints the whole thing for me.
革命不会被电视转播

Shogunn2517

http://screencrush.com/netflix-daredevil-marvel-defenders-joe-quesada-noir/

Update!

Apparently scripts are coming in(for Daredevil) and there will be a connection to the Cinematic Universe.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Yep, this confirms these will take place in the Cinematic Universe.  Also, up to a total of 60 episodes now across all 5 series, so not bad.  Definitely looking forward to it.

XStream

I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

BentonGrey

If only they hadn't killed Avengers: EMH, they could be dominating superhero TV entertainment in every single way.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

MJB

Exciting news, XStream. One day I plan on owning the Marvel Cinematic Universe on BluRay but until then watching them on Netflix will be the next best thing.

XStream

My thoughts exactly MJB. I watched Thor at least ten times on Netflix before they took it off. My understanding is this includes not only the movies and Netflix exclusive but they are planning on S.H.I.E.L.D. being on Netflix as well.

I am really looking forward to catching the show. I saw the pilot, but my schedule has not allowed me to watch any other episodes.
I am not, nor have I ever been a Rude Naked Hero!

Shogunn2517

http://time.com/121287/daredevil-charlie-cox/

Daredevil has been cast.  You might know him from STARDUST with Claire Danes.  I know him has the Irish hitman from BOARDWALK EMPIRE.  I'm confident he can pull it off.  It's the writing(and costuming) I'm more concerned about really.

Shogunn2517

My friend in Hollywood just told me that Vincent D'Onofrio is going to play Kingpin...  Or at least that's what Deadline is saying too.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/daredevil-vincent-donofrio-cast-as-wilson-fisk-marvel-netflix/

crimsonquill

Quote from: Shogunn2517 on June 10, 2014, 10:08:55 PM
My friend in Hollywood just told me that Vincent D'Onofrio is going to play Kingpin...  Or at least that's what Deadline is saying too.

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/daredevil-vincent-donofrio-cast-as-wilson-fisk-marvel-netflix/

It's been officially confirmed by Marvel TV's executives that Vincent WILL be Kingpin and they are thrilled with having an actor of his callibur in this role.

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

catwhowalksbyhimself

I'm not personally familiar with this actor, but judging by the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response this announcement is getting, it appears to be a good choice.

crimsonquill

Quote from: catwhowalksbyhimself on June 10, 2014, 11:28:44 PM
I'm not personally familiar with this actor, but judging by the overwhelmingly enthusiastic response this announcement is getting, it appears to be a good choice.

Most folks are familar with Vincent playing Pvt. Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence in FULL METAL JACKET ("Private Pyle I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-f**cking-seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-f**K you! ONE! TWO! THREE!") and Edgar The Alien Bug in MEN IN BLACK ("You idiots! You don't get it - I've won! It's over! You're milksuckers! You don't matter! In fact, in just a few seconds you won't even BE matter!).

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

Shogunn2517

Quote from: crimsonquill on June 11, 2014, 12:07:33 AM

Most folks are familar with Vincent playing Pvt. Leonard 'Gomer Pyle' Lawrence in FULL METAL JACKET ("Private Pyle I'm gonna give you three seconds; exactly three-f**cking-seconds to wipe that stupid looking grin off your face or I will gouge out your eyeballs and skull-f**K you! ONE! TWO! THREE!") and Edgar The Alien Bug in MEN IN BLACK ("You idiots! You don't get it - I've won! It's over! You're milksuckers! You don't matter! In fact, in just a few seconds you won't even BE matter!).

- CQ

"Lawrence?! Lawrence what?  Of Arabia?!  I don't like that name Lawrence... From now on you're Kingpin.  You think I'm cute?  You think I'm funny?!"

Shogunn2517

Outside of Private Pyle, his MOST notable role is of Detective Robert Goren in LAW AND ORDER: CRIMINAL INTENT.  Also the villain in the first Men In Black.

Podmark

Not familiar with the actor but I'm happy to hear that Kingpin will be playing a major role. After just watching the 90s Spider-Man show I'm up for some more Kingpin.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

Im kinda dissapointed there is no Punisher.Netflix shows can be good so I will probably give Daredevil a chance.
IMO they are really trying too hard to fit it all in one continuity.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 06:08:49 AM
Im kinda dissapointed there is no Punisher.Netflix shows can be good so I will probably give Daredevil a chance.
IMO they are really trying too hard to fit it all in one continuity.

As much as we are aware of your delight of the Punisher as a character, this time I do concur.  Very much so.  When DONE RIGHT, the Punisher works PERFECTLY serialized.  Each of the movies had a finite ending where the Punisher goes after and kills a main badguy.  Though the first one(in my opinion) had it best with the randomness of the story, a Punisher with no emotion or intent, just punishment, the reason why they had the bad guy and the finite plot was because they had to tell a short story.  The Punisher, however, is the ultimate Hobbesian plight where he will just keep killing and won't stop because the world won't stop being evil.  He can take down one bad guy and there's ALWAYS another to kill.  Which is why it makes it a perfect fit for a serialized show.

That being said, each of these Netflix shows are telling their own short story.  So it's not exactly the idea I have in mind.

I'd put the Punisher on HBO or Showtime.

HarryTrotter

I imagined it more in style of Breaking Bad.To show how Frank Castle goes from Policeman/Agent  to hardcase criminal killer.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

Tomato

Except that goes against the nature of the Punisher's origin... sure, he might get more brutal as time goes on, but the reason Punisher starts killing people is very specific: he kills criminals because of the death of his family. There is no shift like you're describing, ever... they die, he starts killing criminals.