Netflix is making Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, AND Jessica Jones shows!

Started by BWPS, November 07, 2013, 07:58:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HarryTrotter

^Thats my point,there should be some development there.
Not the best comparison but something like 2004 movie just more elaborated.
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

detourne_me

in a way it's his 'second' marvel role.... he was 'Thor' in Adventures in Babysitting!
I'm pretty pumped.  he's a great actor and is physically intimidating.

crimsonquill

Marvel TV studios has stated that Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica are set up to be miniseries in themselves which lead into them uniting to fight a common enemy in The Defenders, which becomes it's own miniseries and then connects into the Marvel Cinemaverse (possibly with Luke Cage joining the Avengers in Phase Four).

Now, I could see them do this once again with more Marvel's darker/supernatural superheroes that Marvel just reclaimed.... Blade & Ghost Rider.. then unite them with Moon Knight, The Punisher, and Bloodstone under the context of calling them The Nightstalkers. They could easily do this by setting seeds in Doctor Strange and allow some elbow room for more darker characters that might push Marvel Studios limit of PG-13 (Netflix miniseries allow much more room for R rated characters then putting them next to Agents Of SHIELD or Agent Carter).

- CQ
"He said let there be light... CLICK! It was a lightbulb. And It was good."

HarryTrotter

^Thats 5 shows.
They have really gone overboard with expanding the universe.
Jon Farmer

BWPS

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 01:12:26 PM
^Thats 5 shows.

But they have handled it well so far. I'm glad they're doing this, I have no reason to think it won't be a success.  Marvel and Netflix seems like a match made in heaven.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 01:12:26 PM
^Thats 5 shows.

Spade, I don't think you are getting the point.. MARVEL comics is a giant universe with hundreds of characters. If done correctly they can keep building their superhero universe without letting it feel crowded by not lumping everyone into the same place like New York City. The Defenders will be regulated to handling street crime and gangs which high profile superheroes usually don't have time to handle.

Same with my idea of Marvel TV taking the darker superheroes and putting them in a new location.. like Chicago or even Detroit (there is some major advantages to filming in Detroit since they can go all out with property destruction). This allows them to function in a pocket of the Cinemaverse all to themselves until they might be needed for a crossover appearance within the much bigger tent-pole movies.

Plus, Marvel TV is taking a much smarter approach with Netflix by tackling each new character within a Miniseries. Just by doing that they can pull in bigger stars which can't commit to doing a full series run and allows for higher production value by putting more money into the show then worrying about how to budget a full season or commiting to a multi-season network deal. I'm pretty sure Marvel production learned their hard lesson with Agents Of SHIELD because their earlier ratings tanked because of all of the padding they had to do until their Hydra arc started which tied into the movies directly. Agents Of SHIELD would have had a much more impact if it has been a 13 episode miniseries with more focus on character building leading into the big reveal.

- CQ

HarryTrotter

They just try to milk money from every imaginable hero and villan EXCEPT those people really wanted to see.
So are Thunderbolts still in Marvels hands?Is there a possibility for their film/show/series ?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

So wait, your complaint for Agents was that we weren't getting to see any superheroes, and now that they are using Netflix shows to effectively give us adaptations of additional Superheroes, you're complaining? And you don't see the giant freaking logic gap there? Wow. Just... wow man.

HarryTrotter

Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 03:31:52 PM
They just try to milk money from every imaginable hero and villan EXCEPT those people really wanted to see.

Careful there Spade. I'm really getting the impression that sentence is "They just try to milk money from every imaginable hero and villan EXCEPT those I wanted to see." Unless you get manage to get majority stock rights or Kevin Feige's job.. you will just have to live with the Marvel master plan (which nobody knows outside of closed doors). I never thought I'd see a Guardians Of The Galaxy and Ant-Man movie..  but they allow doors to be opened to a bigger universe.

Plus Sony and FOX will neeeeever let go of X-Men, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man unless they nearly bankrupt their studios and I doubt that will ever happen and team-ups with Marvel Studios will also never happen because the other studios don't want to share in the profits or control of the characters. Sony would never allow Spider-Man to web swing into Avengers Tower and join the team to fight Thanos in Avengers 3 if there was a possibility he would end up wounded or killed.. and Sony would demand the film be called "Spider-Man And The New Avengers" or something silly to make sure their character got top billing just to even appear in another studio film.

So are Thunderbolts still in Marvels hands?Is there a possibility for their film/show/series ?

Thunderbolts would work in the same concept of a villain team like Sony is doing with Sinister Six. Except that the villains are trying to pass themselves off as an alternate Avengers team but find they actually conflicted when they start realizing being a hero isn't such a bad thing. I could see it working much farther down the line with Marvel Studios once they get a significant amount of villains to pull from. Maybe they might try to pull the current concept by having General "Thunderbolt" Ross pull a strike team from prisoners.. maybe even getting Abomination as their team muscle.. I doubt they would ever try to do Red Hulk unless The Leader gets involved as the Big Bad and Ross gets captured and experimented on. I could see it as a Netflix miniseries but it could be a tent pole movie if they got the right people involved.

- CQ

Talavar

Who are these heroes & villains that "people" really want to see that aren't getting used?  Everyone doesn't have the same taste, plus Frickin' Deathlok is getting used on a tv show.  Are you holding your breath for the Adventures of Cypher and Warlock?

Quote from: crimsonquill on June 11, 2014, 04:57:02 PM

Thunderbolts would work in the same concept of a villain team like Sony is doing with Sinister Six. Except that the villains are trying to pass themselves off as an alternate Avengers team but find they actually conflicted when they start realizing being a hero isn't such a bad thing. I could see it working much farther down the line with Marvel Studios once they get a significant amount of villains to pull from. Maybe they might try to pull the current concept by having General "Thunderbolt" Ross pull a strike team from prisoners.. maybe even getting Abomination as their team muscle.. I doubt they would ever try to do Red Hulk unless The Leader gets involved as the Big Bad and Ross gets captured and experimented on. I could see it as a Netflix miniseries but it could be a tent pole movie if they got the right people involved.

- CQ

Or they could do the other Thunderbolts concept, the one borrowed from Suicide Squad: villains coerced to work for the government in exchange for reduced sentences.

HarryTrotter

^For example there cant be Norman Osborn,which cuts us of from Dark Avengers,Siege storyline,H.A.M.M.E.R which are all kinda big deals,right?
Jon Farmer

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 05:31:15 PM
^For example there cant be Norman Osborn,which cuts us of from Dark Avengers,Siege storyline,H.A.M.M.E.R which are all kinda big deals,right?

Dark Avengers was just the original Thunderbolts concept - villains pretend to be heroes to fleece the public.  Totally doable without Norman Osborn.  HAMMER was just a vaguely evil SHIELD replacement, which is again, totally doable after the events of the Winter Soldier.  The Siege storyline is undoable until they do about 6 more Thor movies, detailing Ragnarok and the rebirth of the Norse gods in the American midwest.  The real villains of Siege were the Sentry and the Hood anyway, 2 Bendis favourites I hope never make it the MCU on account of their terribleness.  For all of these stories you could replace Osborn with some sort of self-serving power hungry guy in charge and get the same result.

More to the point, is anyone clamoring for those storylines to be adapted into film?  Dark Avengers was made largely up of villains who wish they were B-list.  Some of the ideas of HAMMER have already been done now with the Winter Soldier reveal and the Siege storyline was never one of Marvel's finest.

HarryTrotter

^It was just an example,ok?
Not that Im rooting for any of those things,I was just using those  as an EXAMLE.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 05:31:15 PM

Well, those stories CAN be done.. but just not using Norman Osborn as long as they are connected to Marvel Studios films.. heck, they could have Justin Hammer from Iron Man 2 fill in for being the criminal mastermind behind trying to rebuild SHIELD using his own concept and even assembling his own team of Dark Avengers (hey, we can only hope with The Ten Rings breaking out Trevor out of prison that maybe Hammer escapes too). Iron Patriot is Rhodey now in the movies and rumors are that he will be wearing the red, white, and blue armor in Avengers 2, so unless Justin steals the suit for himself I doubt we will have Iron Patriot leading the Dark Avengers either.

I hate to say it.. but Marvel Animation is pretty much the only way we will ever get a fully represented Marvel Universe and the best shot of that was in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes because they were not afraid of doing dark storylines or taking risks. Ultimate Spider-Man is crossing over into The Avengers show but I doubt that they would ever touch Seige, Dark Avengers, or even the Secret Invasion stories for that matter being a far more "family friendly" version of Marvel Animation.

- CQ

HarryTrotter

^So basicly any1 can do Osborns job?Sure,why not?
If these series get any kind of ratings there is gonna be more.
Ofcourse not every storyline can be covered but there is a slew of charachters for the shows.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 07:54:56 PM
^So basicly any1 can do Osborns job?Sure,why not?
If these series get any kind of ratings there is gonna be more.
Ofcourse not every storyline can be covered but there is a slew of charachters for the shows.

The problem is there was a running theme with Osborn in those stories.. He was trying to redeem his public image and seperate himself from Green Goblin. So, Secret Invasion gives him the opportunity to look like a hero when trust in heroes was at it lowest. He uses that moment to take Osborne Industuries finances to help rebuild SHIELD which was torn apart during the previous few years of storylines, and then creating Dark Avengers using a patriotic symbol with all of the Iron Man technology he stole, which of course pushes him over the edge into masterminding The Seige. Only Osborn could pull off that entire storyline because he was a cunning mastermind and Marvel editors agreed that it was finally time to see Norman Osborn become a major villain for a change. All of those key elements could be planned by any major businessman villain or political person with business contacts but Osborn just gave it that epic madman running amok flavor which made it awesome. But thanks to Sony owning Spider-Man, It will never happen.. most we get is seeing Norman and Harry running Oscorp and creating super villains for Spider-Man and his Spider-Friends (or whatever they call his superhero friends that came along with the rights to the whole Spider-Man comic library) to battle in the films to come.

Now how will you get to see all of those comic stories with all of the heroes under one studio and them not being afraid to take it directly from comic page to screen? Just wait around 30 years when Fox and Sony have exhausted their movie idea options and let the rights return back into Marvel Studios under the all powerful Disney which will own all of the major franchises by then.. and they can make a fully CGI Marvel Universe using digitally scanned actors which they don't have to pay anything but likeness fees.

Now getting back on topic.. Netflix seems to be the biggest tool for Marvel Studios in getting these miniseries to introduce characters that need more then cameos in Agents Of SHIELD or Agent Carter or their tent pole movies to flesh out. I'm hoping for the best.

-CQ 

Talavar

Quote from: Spade on June 11, 2014, 07:45:18 PM
^It was just an example,ok?
Not that Im rooting for any of those things,I was just using those  as an EXAMLE.

Okay, but your complaint was that they're milking all their characters "except those people really want to see."  Who are these people?  What characters do they want to see that Marvel isn't using? 

It remains to be seen how well these Netflix shows will do, as Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones aren't really known outside comic circles, and Daredevil didn't exactly set the world on fire with his feature film, but people have seemed to want to see the characters that Marvel is choosing to use so far.

Tomato

Invariably he's talking about Spiderman, X-men, and Punisher. We've discussed the first two to death (it's not a matter of spending money to get them back because they have contracts with these companies, Marvel had no way of knowing they'd be in this position when they made the contracts, and nothing they do now will change anything anyway.) and we've established that there are ways to bring Punisher in later, they just aren't right now.

Move. On.

catwhowalksbyhimself

It is possibly that some things from Spider-Man could be used in Marvel.  A deal was already struck to use the Oscorp tower from the newest Spider Man in the Avengers, but the cgi for the building didn't get finished in time.  I doubt we'll ever have Spider Man himself or any of the major characters, though, but Osborn could at least be name dropped at some point.

The X-Men are out completely though.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

HarryTrotter

@Tomato Im not gonna list those guys this time,but you forgot the Fantastic Four.
In CA:WS Stephen Strange is mentioned so can we expect his show?I didnt even pick up on Crossbones apperence in that movie btw.
With the destruction of Hydra and A.I.M. stage is set for The Exchange so Punishers story is basicly ready.
Jon Farmer

crimsonquill

Quote from: Spade on June 12, 2014, 04:51:27 AM
In CA:WS Stephen Strange is mentioned so can we expect his show?I didnt even pick up on Crossbones apperence in that movie btw.

First, Doctor Strange is getting his own movie in Phase 3 of the cinemaverse.. along with Ant-Man, Captain America 3, Thor 3, and possibly Black Panther (as least that's the rumor)... which all lead to Avengers 3 which is when Thanos gets possession of The Infinity Gauntlet. The seeds for this are planted all over the Phase 1 & 2 movies if you look for them.

Now, Brock Rumlow is who appeared in CA:WS because it was Crossbones origin story.. only the die hard fans would pick up on his real name and most believe he died in the Hellicarrier Crash until his burned body was shown be rushed into the ER of a Hydra base. I'm very sure he will return in Captain America 3 in full costume as Crossbones.

- CQ

Shogunn2517

Quote from: Spade on June 12, 2014, 04:51:27 AM
@Tomato Im not gonna list those guys this time,but you forgot the Fantastic Four.
With the destruction of Hydra and A.I.M. stage is set for The Exchange so Punishers story is basicly ready.

Yeah, that's not happening.

Hydra's not destroyed.  Even if they were and they didn't want to bring AIM back, they still wouldn't use the Exchange.  As much as you or I may like the Punisher, audiences haven't responded well.  At all.  So what they may end up doing is what they always do in comics with characters THEY like that aren't connecting with audiences:
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/10/20/marvels-kevin-feige-were-trying-to-figure-out-what-to-do-with-daredevil-now/

HarryTrotter

It was just wild guessing on my part.Who can know what is planned?
Jon Farmer

Tomato

*sigh*

I didn't forget the Fantastic Four. The Fantastic Four are contracted out the same as X-men and Spiderman, and the same things I said about those franchises apply equally to Fantastic Four. The only difference is that, because Fantastic Four isn't as big a franchise, and the last few films haven't done well, it's more likely Marvel will eventually get them back... especially with Fox doing a "a much more grounded, gritty, realistic movie" for the reboot, which contradicts the nature of the comic (not to mention the freaking title)

HarryTrotter

^And to conclude you think these miniseries will work towards Defenders?
BTW why does everything EVER has to happen in New York?
Jon Farmer

Reepicheep

Quote from: Spade on June 12, 2014, 11:04:38 AM
^And to conclude you think these miniseries will work towards Defenders?
BTW why does everything EVER has to happen in New York?

War of the Worlds happened in Woking, UK.

And we're damn proud.

bat1987

Don't know much about the guy playing Kingpin, but everywhere I read, people are really happy with the choice, so that's cool.

Although his acting ability comes first, I hope they make him really big and imposing in the show.

HarryTrotter

^Whos playing Kingpin?You could have posted a pic or a link?
@Reep You should check out Marvel CU thread,maybe you can explain some stuff about locations.
Jon Farmer

bat1987