News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Skinning Permission List and Rules

Started by Podmark, November 15, 2013, 02:18:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

My rebuttal:

Yes, the internet allows people a large degree of free reign when it comes to doing whatever they want. But this community, this forum, is built on a certain level of mutual respect... I trust the people here to tell me about use of my work not because they have to, but because I have *earned* that level of respect. Just as many of them have earned mine. You, however, are perfectly content going "lol, why should I care that this took hours from someone who's dedicated a decade to this game. It's on the internet and is thus free with no consequences"

I tried to explain that in all of my responses. That it wasn't a hard rule, but indicative of the mutual respect (or in your case, lack thereof) we have for each other. Disregarding those means you don't care about anyone's wishes but your own, and I don't care for that mentality. And I don't have to tolerate it either.

Its not all that difficult man... Between Murs, Afghan Ant, and all the others on that list, there are PLENTY of peoples work you can pull from without issue. Heck, even though I'm not allowing kittbashes from you, my bases are available, so it's not like you can't reverse engineer most of what I've done.

cranlox

I think you needed to say "how respectful you are" and "how respectable you are".
IF you want to put me as a villain. I do not care about anything you can think or interpret.

Deaths Jester

Seeing as the standards on a nifSkoped mesh situation is so fluid and undefined right now, i am going to go ahead and add this as my decision for concerning my skopes standards so there is a written ruling for them.

Like my skins, any standards on anything i skoped - which is most of the stuff still available and done in the past whatever many years - are not kittbashable without my expressed permission.

Edit: This is for the skin work, not the skoped mesh itself.  Just in case someone thought otherwise...

Sorry if that honks off some people but i use a few of my works from here in my portfolio and having folks kittbash those skins does run the risk of costing me jobs as a concept artist - would say texture artist too but i've had to put that on hold due to situations beyond my control.
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

oktokels

can somebody update the list pls? there's no mention of C6 skins on the list

Tomato

Because c6 has not said one way or the other. In lieu of that, unless someone gets ahold of him, he is treated as a no, same with anyone who has not given permission.

SickAlice

My original permission stands since it's up and I started making my own bases since that time with the intent people use them so long as they have fun with it.

I open an amendment on C6 when it comes to his base skin packs as he specifically gave permission in the including text file twice to use those and what he intended for those. Naturally I say credit his base in a text file. Also otherwise do not kitbash his other works outside that since as Tomato says he did not express permission for that. Feel free to interject of course.

Tomato

I mean, yes, but base skins are an exception to kittbash rules already, by their very nature. They're explicitly called out as ok in the kittbash faq I made, along with *unmodified* mesh standard skins.

eluvium

Quote from: Podmark on November 15, 2013, 02:18:38 AM
Skinners listed here have given permission for users to alter their existing skins (generally referred to kitbashing) and to distribute said skins to online users.

Rules

• Please credit any artists whose work you use in a text file included with the skin.
  • Please contact anyone not listed below before using their content. I will add their decision to this list.
  • All artists reserve the right to rescind permission.

Permission Given:
3dmaster
AfghanAnt
Atomic Robot
bearded
billdamn22
Bloodshadow
Cyber Burn
daglob
detourne_me
ELECTR0
Flash_22798
JKCarrier
John Jr.
murs47
Podmark (I'd prefer to be informed in advance)
SickAlice
Sioux City Dynamo
Tomato - Permission denied to cranlok
vorelliwiseau
UnkoMan

Denied
Deaths Jester (Will listen to requests)
IPS
Matrix (as he is no longer with us we will be respecting his inability to express a decision)
Paradox (as he is no longer with us we will be respecting his inability to express a decision)
the_ultimate_evil

haven't amde anything yet but if I had I'd give permsission

SickAlice

Quote from: Tomato on September 16, 2022, 01:34:27 AM
I mean, yes, but base skins are an exception to kittbash rules already, by their very nature. They're explicitly called out as ok in the kittbash faq I made, along with *unmodified* mesh standard skins.

I know you know this. Mostly I noted it so as not to confuse new people. Well that and I used his bases a lot of course so for me to give permission for my stuff I have to note his bases in the process is all.

Also I suppose I will weigh on the conversation here while I'm posting. In my opinion if users here ask that you do not kitbash their work or ask that you do not redistribute please honor their request. DJ for example is a veteran of this community which is tight knit, respect him and his request. I work on and off in the industry and what he is saying about how this effects his livelihood holds up, I've dealt with theft of my own art out in the world myself. And if you don't honor it don't be surprised if people are reluctant to meet your own requests on the basis of it later. It really is cut and dry as far I'm concerned. Someone asks you don't do this with their content than oblige them. We have these nice permissions lists for the very reason.

As far as what I give away you are free to use however you wish. That's what I want for that. But I don't speak for anyone else there either and I personally pay attention and honor anyone else's wishes while I'm at it all the same.

eluvium

so when you say "stealing" what about streaming freedom force on twitch showing the meshes in play? is that a violation? or is it the tgas/nif/kf/ bundle and the editing of the asset itself?

Tomato

I don't know what you're asking? If you're talking people on twitch using skins that were made by the community... they were made to be played with in-game. If someone's on there with, just for example, a DJ skin that they kittbashed and they're either A. naming DJ and that they kittbashed it, lol, or B. They're claiming credit for having made the whole skin... that might cause some bad blood, and dj might look into legal action, but that's all going to be handled outside of FR. We're not really here to moderate outside the community.

In general Twitch streaming is no different then recording FF and putting the videos on YTube, and that's long been acceptable practice. As long as the skins aren't modified, they're being used as intended: To play the game.

Podmark

Quote from: eluvium on September 16, 2022, 04:23:33 AM
haven't amde anything yet but if I had I'd give permsission

I've added you to the list.

Wow, been a long time since I've done that.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

eluvium

Deaths Jester

Playing with a skin as the creator made it - if they are one of us on the no kittbash list -it in game and streaming the game is perfectly fine, just give credit if someone asks who did the skin (which is probably not something that will happen often as most folks who follow ff know skinners by our distinctive styles).

Now, one thing that seems to be forgotten when it comes to my work and kittbashing is, i am willing to listen to requests of usage of my work for kittbashing releases. Some times i allow it for certain skins, some times i don't - i don't do blanket permission though, it is always a skin by skin basis. Currently only one current board member has asked and received some form of permission to kitt a few select skins of mine and release those said bashes - though am not sure if they have released them or not. That is part of the reason i sometimes come off a bit blunt when i see something that looks very similar to my work - i know who has come to me for permission and to find someone using my stuff without asking the simple question ahead of time rubs me the wrong way. That and i'm just an arse anyways...

Now, who stole my vodka?!?!
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

eluvium