News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Alpha Channel

Started by Randomdays, November 16, 2013, 11:24:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randomdays

Problem and question.

Checking in game with male_alpha and male_alpha_collar, I'm able to see the blacked out/ non skinned part of the mesh. Default settings on graphics. I've never really worked with alpha channel before but I'm assuming this is not normal. Problem with the video card or its settings? From what I know from working on older 2D games, the non used part of a skin/ sprite is filled with a specific color thats transparent in game and won't show. Usually a magenta color back then.

I was trying to figure out to how to get alpha turned on for the hair of some meshes I'm working on, but right now, I don't think I would be able to tell if it was working or not. I know the transparent part of the alpha function is working as I can see transparent/ glass effects fine.

daglob

My video card dislikes alpha channels in FF1, and won't alpha-out some parts. Someone said that this happens on pieces that are animated (capes, for instance). That is why there is a Male Alpha Nocape with the cape hidden.

I have researched my video card, gone through the settings, played with the settings, and have never been able to make the alpha channel work in FF1. FFv3R works just fine.

Randomdays

Windblown was nice enough to take one of the meshes I was working on and tweak it. He set up an alpha channel on the skin itself plus on the mesh with nifskope. On my win7 laptop, the blonde hair is perfect, but the other 3 hair colors still show black where the alpha should be. On all skins, the bottom of the dress shows black on the cutout alpha area.

On my old winXP version, the dress and hair for all 4 skins show alpha correctly, but the hair shows TOO much alpha - there are gaps showing the inside of the mesh that shouldn't be seen.

Too complicated for me too work with, especially since I get different results with different computers.