Advice on Invulnerability levels and damage output

Started by mac402, January 11, 2014, 01:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac402

I know this was done more than once but always in a generalised way, so I'd like to know some examples for your heroes - what kind of Invulnerability scores do you use for your powerhouses. I'm currently done with body armor values in my game and wish to go with innate resistances.

For body armor I used the following:
kevlar vest (Punisher) - Armored attribute
non-bulletproof jumpsuits (some X-Men members) - Body Armor 5
lightly armored suits (Black Widow) - Body Armor 7
bulletproof suits (Batman, Magneto) - Body Armor 10
powered armor suits (Iron Man, Doc Doom) - Body Armor 15 + metal material
mystic armor (Thor, Shining Knight) - Body Armor 20
even more powerful armors (High Evolutionary, Monarch) - Body Armor 30 <- this might need shifting up

So what would you recommend as far as invulnerability goes for guys like:
Aquaman
Rogue/Miss Marvel
Wonder Woman
Thor
Martian Manhunter
Hulk
Superman
Silver Surfer
Darkseid
Thanos
Doomsday
Pre-Crisis Superman
Galactus

P.S. I was experimenting with giving Physical Resistance+Invulnerability 10 to Superman for a nice comic-accurate version of him, I think I can use that as a benchmark for other characters. Giving him just Invulnerability 10 is a more playable version but it's more like the DCAU Superman then.

Also I wanted to ask about melee damage you set. It seems that it is adjusted by the Strength score already. For street levelers I usually use low for a non-energy consuming melee strike, medium for exceptional martial artists like Lady Shiva. I'm wondering what  damage values (for fists) would be appropriate for the powerhouse type characters like Superman etc.

spydermann93

All of this really depends on how you balance your powers and abilities.

For me, a lot of my typical guns do Low damage, so my bulletproof armor is typically set at 05 rather than your 10.

With that in mind, I'll give you advice in relation to your current values as opposed to my values:

Aquaman has shown to be able to take bullets with no issue, so I'd put him at Invulnerable 10.

Rogue and Ms. Marvel, they are definitely more capable of taking damage than Iron Man's armor, but for them, I'd give Physical Resistance and Invulnerable 10, perhaps 05.

Wonder Woman's skin isn't too bulletproof; she can just take a lot of damage.  Give her a low invulnerability (05-10), but also make it so she can take punches quite well (perhaps resistance to crushing).

Thor has always been weird for me.  Without his armor, I ended up giving him a low resistance to piercing (covered by invulnerable 05) and then gave him resistance to Crushing, Heat, Cold, and Radiation.  His armor is pretty strong, though, so an alternative to the previous idea is to make him Stone or Concrete and give him invulnerable 05.  That should end up working quite well for him.  His armor will be able to block most projectiles, yet he's not completely impervious to punches.

Martian Manhunter has quite a bit of resistance, but he's not impervious to all harm, so perhaps invulnerable 15 for him.

Hulk, I'd give him invulnerable 15, but that's with Defense Mechanism and a healing attribute of him that allows him to heal rather quickly.  I made him Stone with Thin Skinned, just to give him some nice resistances, but not overly powerful.

Superman: For Pre-Crisis, I gave him Physical Resistance and Invulnerable 15.  For Post-Crisis, I gave him invulnerable 20.

Silver Surfer has shown immense durability, so I'd probably give him the same as Post-Crisis Superman (don't forget he can reconstruct himself, too).

Darkseid and Thanos are both made of Concrete and have invulnerable 15.  They have both shown to take immense damage.

Doomsday, I gave him a durability around Superman's level.  He's concrete, Physical Resistance, and Invulnerable 5.  That might sound low, but it works really well.

Galactus, give him some nice 30 points of body armor (I've never tried invulnerability with Body armor, but an Invulnerability of 10 added on should be nice).  He should be able to take all but the most punishing hits.  Once you get through his armor, though, he's soft :P

spydermann93

For punching power, my human characters rarely go above Medium in magnitude, if at all.  I don't want to see Captain America and Batman putting the hurt on the likes of Superman and Silver Surfer.

For the heavy hitters such as Hulk, Thor, Superman, Wonder Woman, etc., I usually put their melee at "High" and "Very High" for their more energy consuming moves.  Typically, it should be just enough for them to hurt the characters that are really durable.  Thor should be able to hit the Hulk and the Hulk should be able to feel it, but it should take a number of hits to take the Hulk down.

Jimaras8

Very interesting suggestions form both of you guys. I rarely use body armor in powerhouses and cosmic characters but i use it in chars like Punisher, Nick Fury and Deadpool. My approach with invulnrability is less realistic i think form spyder's for example, my Thor has Ph Re but also invulnerab. 5 and he had to take a lot of heat to yield. For superman i used Benton Kryptonian attribute in DCUG along with invulnerability 10 as even the Post Crisi Supes can take an immense amount of damage. I haven't made form stone or concrete though (how can i give them concrete, i am pretty sure it isn't available in the default materials). AS for Thanos, based on your hero file Spyder, i gave him Phy Res with a 20 invulnerability making able to take all of Galactus Heralds at once although they almost took him down. Galactus has tricked for very long. Usagent gives him 75 invulnerability which is exaggerating so i've gone with 30 points of inv and i am thinking of making stone for more resistance. My main concern is that Thanos with 20 and ph res will more durable than Galactus, something unrealistic. I will test them in the action. Since you guys are more experienced than me in hero files i would love your suggestions on the matter. Oh, and i base my characters formula in Benton's MA mod since i brand my heroes to the mod dat.

spydermann93

Quote from: Jimaras8 on January 12, 2014, 08:18:37 AMhow can i give them concrete, i am pretty sure it isn't available in the default materials

It can be done via two ways:

One method is through MrBrdo's Hero Tool, which is essentially FFEdit for custom characters. :P

Another method is by importing the character into the game and then using FFEdit to change their material to Concrete via the Templates tab.

mac402

Thanks for sharing the info guys! Based on it I've decided to go with the following scheme taken from their MarvelRPG stats:
Rm and lower -> Invulnerability 5
In/Am -> Invulnerability 10
Mn -> Invulnerability 15
Un -> Invulnerability 20
Sh-X -> Invulnerability 30

So Superman/Gladiator/Silver Surfer will get Inv20, Juggernaut will get Inv20+Regenerative+Body Aura (but his energy is set to 4 so he's not so powerful as this looks), Hulk will get Inv15 (Hulk uses Defence Mechanism and Fast Healing too), Solomon Grundy Inv15+wood+regenerative, Martian Manhunter gets Inv10(+Fast Healing+Lesser Regeneration+Dispersed), Darseid gets Inv20+stone material, Thanos Inv30+stone. Many of them also have powerful passive defences against certain elements. I haven't done Doomsday yet but I think of giving him Entropy's Adaptive attribute. As for Galactus I have given mine Inv75+Energy Shield Passive+Solar Stores (4x energy) which makes him the most powerful being at the moment.

Generally I have aimed to dish out the most out of my characers so most of them are very versatile in their attacks. Almost anyone can beat anyone if controlled by the player except for the really high tier guys. I also like to set the difficulty level to "very hard" because the hp's and damage output are the same for heroes/enemies at that level. At that difficulty level the pistol shot used by Thug with Pistol does medium piercing damage ~10 so that's why bulletproof armor of mine has 10 points.