News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

The Great CSA Thread

Started by Tomato, January 16, 2014, 06:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

So, as some of you are aware, I've mentioned in my skin thread that I'm planning on doing CSA skins until the day I die. I'm taking a bit of a break from them to do some other skins right at the moment, but once DC decides to finally reveal the identity of the hooded prisoner I'm gonna be all over that again. However, the issue I'm running into is... well, there aren't counterparts to everyone I want there to be counterparts for. And even some of those that have counterparts... well, even if I like how they were portrayed in a particular story, I'm not always as fond of the design.

Thus, I'm creating this thread. Like with the evil Aquaman thread everyone, including me, can post whatever CSA designs they want in whatever form they want: Doodles, micros, pony creator, whatever floats your boat. Unlike that thread, this one doesn't have a specific goal: you can choose any dcu (or marvel for that matter, I'm cool with whatever you wanna do) character you want whenever you want to do them. I might ask for specific characters/teams down the road because I'd like to skin them, but there won't ever be any rush. If I like a design, I'll probably make a FF skin of it... eventually.

And FYI... I'm totally down with written stories as well. Seriously, if you have a story to tell about a mirror version of Crazy Quilt, I wanna hear it.

Thunder

I love the CSA!  Here's my take on Hawkman's counterpart, "Blood Eagle".
It's on a hexed version of Gren's Hawkman mesh.  i hexed off all the weapons but the Katar blade.

naitvalis

oh well this is amost a provocation for me, and i can't resist to open a portal for earth 3 and present..........wait i know is very, very easy, and help me say Very, however someone like to guess who is the counterpart of this guy?

Glitch Girl

Darkest Hour, the Evil Hourman?
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

naitvalis

Glitch Girl winz!  yes he is the hourman counterpart, however i have named him the blackhour , but also darkest hour now intrigue me.
Anyhow a very bad guy who have found an ancient book of alchemy...you can imagine the rest.

Tomato

Blood Eagle- I'm gonna be honest here... there's something putting me off about this one, which is why I haven't commented up until now. It's weird because I like the design, I like the concept... but something feels off. For all I know, it's just the image quality... jpg format doesn't like the color red, and there's a lot of red. It's still a really good concept regardless, and if I ever get around to skinning evil Hawkman (I'd like to do a JSA counterpart team, so it's very likely) I might be able to fix whatever issues my brain is having with it.

Darkest Hour- 'Mato likes. The design is interesting while still evoking the original, and while there's a part of me that wants to play with the colors a bit to get some more yellow in there, I'd be just fine accepting it as "canon" as-is.

Podmark

These are both pretty cool designs. I'm surprised DC didn't do more counterparts in their CSA stuff.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

vorelliwiseau

I'm in! Dibs on Blue Bowman. A-and maybe Grid.

Glitch Girl

So I get this idea before bed and I know I won't be able to sleep unless I do something about it, but it's already late and I don't really have time to draw it myself but luckily this site is still up and running so I give you, Siren.

My evil version of Black Canary.  Somehow I imagine the black hair is a wig, sort of like her counterpart.  And yes, she has vocal powers as well. I went with red and black because I thought it made a nice counterpoint to Dinah's costume.

I will probably rethink everything tomorrow morning (like the layering issues I just noticed on the belt and jacket), but for now, TO SLEEP!

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

So a few days ago I started up a DCUO toon based on Aqualord (kind of... can't adapt the costume I skinned, but it's fine). Thought I might as well post it here (coincidentally, if anyone wants to start a "CSA/Forever Evil" type league on dcuo, PM me.)

Cyber Burn

Great thread 'Mato. I really like the concepts that have been put out here. I REALLY look forward to seeing more.

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on January 16, 2014, 06:39:50 PM

And FYI... I'm totally down with written stories as well. Seriously, if you have a story to tell about a mirror version of Crazy Quilt, I wanna hear it.

So you really...seriously...want to see a mirror version of Crazy Quilt?!?!?!  Somehow I find that challenge intriguing...though perhaps not enough to get me to start doing anything...or maybe it does...or not...hmmmm......
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

Tomato

Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 23, 2014, 03:16:34 PM

So you really...seriously...want to see a mirror version of Crazy Quilt?!?!?!  Somehow I find that challenge intriguing...though perhaps not enough to get me to start doing anything...or maybe it does...or not...hmmmm......

I want to see a mirror version of EVERYONE.

That said, if the regular version is stupid and useless... what does that make his mirror duplicate?

Deaths Jester

Quote from: Tomato on January 23, 2014, 06:51:32 PM
Quote from: Deaths Jester on January 23, 2014, 03:16:34 PM

I want to see a mirror version of EVERYONE.

That said, if the regular version is stupid and useless... what does that make his mirror duplicate?

Don't you mean her duplicate?  True the original was male but once they killed him (I think Luthor's Society did that) they gave the name and costume over to a gal.  And it also makes the duplicate stupid and useless...
Avatar picture originally a Brom painting entitled Marionette.

naitvalis

here i have another idea for our little earth 3, the name is gypsy fox, an extremely expert thief with a taste for ancient weapons, if anyone like to guess who is her counterpart i can give 2 little hints:
1) she is not crazy quilt girl  <_<
2) her counterpart is an heroine and her name was wielded by another user before her wich was a male...

hosting immagini

AfghanAnt

naitvalis

:thumbup: wildcat! strike at the first attempt Ant! ;)

AfghanAnt

I like the direction you went with her design.

Outcast

Nice design and drawing Nait.  :)

I like this thread. I get to see some unique designs.  :)

naitvalis

Cyber Burn

Wow Nait, you have an exceptional talent for character design. Both pieces are truly a work of art.  :thumbup:

DrMike2000

Yeah, Gypsy Fox is brilliant. Great colour pallette, and very Viennese Carnevale - and thus a complete opposite to Ted Grant's burly all-American style :)

Stranger Than Fiction:
The Strangers, Tales of the Navigator and Freedom Force X
www.fundamentzero.com

naitvalis

Thanks to  the positive comments  of Ant , Cb, Doc, and Outcast  here i have another gypsy, the counterpart of the first wildcat , the first gypsy fox, another master thief but also a mercenary killer in the weekends, also is not clear if he have some real magic power or he is just a charlatan with a big mouth, however, one thing is sure he have a dexterity wich is almost inhuman.

caricare immagini

Cyber Burn

Man, Nait, I would love to see these characters brought into the FF games.

Tomato

Sorry I've been neglecting this thread of late (burnout got me all the way around it seems). Gonna try and come up with some stuff of my own later this weekend, but I do want to start shifting some of the focus over to doing some heroes (IE: Mirrors of DCU villains). I've never been fond of the whole "Lex is the world's only hero" garbage, especially since it's kinda robbed us of potential character designs and back-stories. I have one in particular I'd like to start with, but more on that in a minute.

GG- Normally I'm a stickler for keeping color schemes consistent between mirror versions (it's why I didn't care for Flashpoint Aquaman)... but it works here so I'm not too upset. It helps that there's enough subtle changes that Siren's design stands out, rather then being a cheap palette swap.

Nait- I really like the work on the two Gypsy Fox designs, but I'd kind of like to hear a bit more about the thought process behind them... I really want them to work for me(because seriously, the designs look great), but the purist in me is having trouble connecting them to their main universe counterparts.

Anyway, as I was saying... Since I'm still dragging my feet on Luthor until we know who the prisoner from Forever Evil is, The big one I'd like to see done first is a proper counterpart to the Joker. I loved the version we got in Crisis on Two Earths, and to a lesser extent the one from Brave and Bold, but in both cases I was less than impressed with the costume design. Gonna try and put something together myself, but I'm curious to see what you guys come up with as well.

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Tomato on February 28, 2014, 03:46:08 PM
Anyway, as I was saying... Since I'm still dragging my feet on Luthor until we know who the prisoner from Forever Evil is, The big one I'd like to see done first is a proper counterpart to the Joker. I loved the version we got in Crisis on Two Earths, and to a lesser extent the one from Brave and Bold, but in both cases I was less than impressed with the costume design. Gonna try and put something together myself, but I'm curious to see what you guys come up with as well.

I agree, the Joker really needs a proper "Mirror Mirror" counterpart, I'd love to see what you come up with.

Tomato

So I'm back in here, and I thought I'd dust this thread off so I can work on a few characters I need to nail down for my figure shelf.

This is a quick table I made to help illustrate my progress. Green √'s are where we have a canon counterpart (I count Aqualord in that because his figure is done and should be sent soon), Yellow "?" areas are ones I have ideas for, but that could still be replaced by something better, and blank spaces are obviously where I haven't even come up with anything yet.

These are some of the Justice Lord designs I came up with (I found a solid Aquaman JLord design to work with by another fan, so I didn't bother with one for him)

As for the Morrison CSA, that's simple... Right now I'm using the Crisis on Two Earths designs for J'edd and Archer. Unfortunately, there isn't a version of Cyborg in Co2E (well... kind of. He's included in a shot showcasing the "made men," but it's just showing his head) so I've got to figure him out as well.

naitvalis

some time ago our little vegetable friend, Tomato, asked me more infos about gipsy foxs (my personal view of wildcats counterpart), but instead  i'll go to re-open this thread to share this image i have drawn to see how they fit on the field, and looks pretty good to me (ultra girl is obviously the power girl mirror mirror).
now the ritual riddle (a very easy one by the way), can you tell on wich of the earths this battle take place, and can you explain why?

image share

detourne_me

Nice! I like your riddle, too.
Spoiler
Earth 3( or antimatter earth) because Slade Wilson is rung for office?

naitvalis

thanks and well said Dm!  :thumbup: