Son of Batman

Started by Midnite, January 20, 2014, 11:38:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Midnite

QuoteBased on the comic by Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert, Son of Batman features Jason O'Mara as the voice of Batman/Bruce Wayne, Stuart Allan as Damian, Morena Baccarin as Talia Al Ghul Giancarlo Esposito as Ra's Al Ghul, David McCallum as Alfred Pennyworth, Xander Berkeley as Kirk Langstrom (aka Man-Bat), and Thomas Gibson as Deathstroke.

Trailer

Podmark

I'm looking forward to this one. Hope it's good.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Starman

That looks pretty terrible. It barely has anything to do with the Grant Morrison storyline ("inspired by the story") and I really dislike seeing DC characters rendered with that cheap-looking anime-inspired animation. After Injustice: Gods Among Us, Batman: Origins, Arrow, etc, I also have Deathstroke fatigue.

BWPS

I think it looks amazing. When it comes to the animation style, I'd say it looks like the best of both worlds. I don't know much about the story at all, but it seems like an awesome movie.
I apologize in advance for everything I say on here. I regret it immediately after clicking post.

vorelliwiseau

Yeah, the animation still looks a bit too anime-y to me, but it's not something that I'm bothered too much about these days.

It's the story I'm curious about, and how they'll adapt it into a movie. Are any of the DC writers working on this?

You guys know what I'd really like to see? A mini-series  covering all of Grant Morrison's Batman run! Season 1 would be the Black Glove, Season 2 would be Batman R.I.P., Season 3 would be be Batman: Reborn, and so on.

GhostMachine

Morrison's run on Batman stunk on ice. I should know because I started subscribing to Batman at the local comics shop right before it started and stuck with it despite knowing better. (I despise Morrison outside Vertigo)

Doing a movie of any kind featuring Damian is kind of moot, now that he's worm food......

Tomato

Eh. I'm usually a detractor of Grant Morrison (I could rant about the problems with New X-men for a week) but... there were good aspects to his run on Batman and Robin. I enjoyed the dynamic he created between Dick Grayson  and Damian, I just thought the storylines were a bit on the weak side.

BentonGrey

Ehh, I could just about not have any less interest in this.  It's an element of the Batman mythos that doesn't interest me and the animation does look pretty anime-ish.  It looks like it could be entertaining for folks who care about Damian, though.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Silver Shocker

I'm also really looking forward to this. I've really enjoyed Morrison's run (haven't finished Batman Inc though) and I liked Damian, so I wanna see how this turns out. I do find it odd that they've changed around the villains again. DC animation seems to have a thing about doing that (they did it in Justice League: Doom as well). And yeah, lot of Deathstroke these days. I like him in some canons, but maybe he's a bit overexposed. Besides, the comic already had ninja Man-Bats! What else do you need? (and those SO have to be in the movie).
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

thalaw2

I'm in the group of non-Damian fans.  I'm not at all excited about this project.
革命不会被电视转播

HarryTrotter

Saw the movie this morning,pretty good actually.My only complain is reusing Deathstroke for the n-th time.Seriously is there some other bad guy in DC universe??
''Even our origin stories have gone sour.''
Jon Farmer

thalaw2

I saw the movie this evening....Beijing time.  I think it's a kids movie with too much adult content.  The story doesn't offer enough suspension of disbelief for adults.  In fact, I don't know that if I had kids that I would want them to see this movie for fear that they might thing they can act like Damian.  The boy has no respect for authority and I guess that's what turned me off to him in the comics.

Spoiler
Maybe I haven't read enough comics about Damian, but I really hated the way he treated Alfred.  The fight scenes are too unrealistic for me or maybe I'm too much of a D the T fan.

D the T has been used too much and this usage kinda upset me because I'm a D the T fan.  I thought Arrow had him way overpowered but after watching this movie I'm a little happier that he is overpowered in Arrow since this movie had him way under powered.

革命不会被电视转播

HarryTrotter

Well I think we are supposed to dislike Demian.He is a annoying brat.Movie is standalone right?It doesnt fit into any established universe.
Jon Farmer

Podmark

Haven't seen the movie yet but Damian was definitely supposed to be a character that readers and characters disliked...at first. He's a character who by design is meant to grow on you. That's how it worked with me and I ended up loving the little brat.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

HarryTrotter

Watch the movie,its actually pretty good.My only complaign is Slade recycling.That dude is EVERYWHERE lately.
Jon Farmer

JeyNyce

Slade is a popular character.  He's in Arkham Origins, Arrow, Son of Batman.  Don't be surprise if you see him popping up in the comics
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

HarryTrotter

Srs that guys in the comics??I had no idea/sarcasm/.Like somebody said I have a fatique from that guy.
Jon Farmer

Starman

This was quite bad.  :thumbdown:

They basically dumped Grant Morrison's storyline and replaced it with a generic ninja story with DC characters slotted in. Ras Al Ghul is a ninja master. Deathstroke is his former second-in-command boss ninja who gets kicked around by virtually all of the characters. Damian is basically the star and is now a physical match for most of the characters.

Voice acting was weak, animation was stiff and anime-lite, and as thalaw2 mentioned: "I think it's a kids movie with too much adult content." So it has a childish storyline and characterisation with OTT cartoon violence that pushes the limits of PG, making it too simple of adults and too violent for kids.

I haven't liked JL: The Flashpoint Paradox, JL: War, or Son of Batman ... I think the era of DC animated movies I enjoyed has past  :(

Cyber Burn

Has this come out on DVD yet?

bat1987

Quote from: Cyber Burn on April 28, 2014, 01:21:46 AM
Has this come out on DVD yet?

Nope, only digital download. DVD is being released on May 6th.

As for the movie itself....

Spoiler
Has almost nothing to do with Grant's story, very loose adaptation. Ra's design was weird, but Giancarlo Esposito did a great job with the voice. Deathstroke is prolly the most underpowered version of the character in any form of media. He gets beaten back and forth by everyone. His motivations, behavior and everything else about him was so OOC that I have a feeling that this was supposed to be someone else but they changed their mind last minute ad put Deathstroke instead. Also Thomas Gibson did a really poor job with the voice.
On the other hand you have Damian who is ridiculously overpowered and is able to take on anyone now. From beating Deathstroke to giving Nightwing quite a few cuts (Dick did beat him eventually, but still). As for Nightwing, he takes Tim's place in the movie, which is OK i guess, because explaining 3 Robins in a single movie would be a bit silly. Killer Croc's inclusion felt weird too IMO. The whole movie is action sequence one after another with some story in between. Fight scenes are well executed eventhough animation as a whole looks a lot cheaper then previous DCAU entries.
It is good to see Damian in animation finally. His manners are intact, makes for some really funny scenes. He sounds good, I've seen some people complain online, but he sounds like a ten year old should. Some cool scenes with Nightwing and Alfred.

IMO one of the weakest entries as far as DCAU goes. If u want to see lots of fighting, if you like any Bat related movie or you're a Damian Wayne fan, sure get this movie. But if you want a good story, great character moments DCAU is known for you won't find that here.

HarryTrotter

So this is set in animated universe?Im not so sure about that...
Jon Farmer

bat1987

Well this, Flashpoint Paradox and JL: War are set in same continuity, that's pretty much it. When I say DCAU I mainly meant animated movies that DC has published, not movies set in the same universe necessarily. Not the best term I agree but that's what I meant when I was comparing it to DCAU. I was comparing it to all animated DC movies not just the ones it shares continuity with.

HarryTrotter

Not sure that I gett you,so lets rephrase the question.This isnt set in the same continuity as Batman the animated series,right?
Jon Farmer

bat1987

Quote from: Spade on April 28, 2014, 07:05:09 PM
This isnt set in the same continuity as Batman the animated series,right?

Nope.

Tomato

Yeah... Bat, I don't think that word means what you think it means. DCAU is a term specifically meant for the DC Animated Universe that BTAS and JL/JLU take place in. It'd be like saying Ultimate Avengers 2 isn't as good as the other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe... Yes, Ultimate Avengers 2 is TECHNICALLY a Marvel Studios film, but it is NOT a part of the same Universe as Avengers.

As for Son of Batman... eh. I agree with the consensus: this was a very poor film on the whole. It's sad, because there was good stuff in here... pretty much everything that was separate from the ninja/Deathstroke garbage was good. There was some genuinely good interaction between the members of the Bat-family, and some of the fights were entertaining to watch. And it's kinda sad, because I would have even been ok with the ninja stuff, had it not been for Deathstroke being shoehorned in there. Would it really have been that hard to include ANY of Ra's other warriors? Hell, they even showed his son, why not go that route? Have it be the son who was abandoned as an heri in favor of Bruce Wayne. It would have been a much tighter story if they'd done that.

bat1987

Quote from: Tomato on May 05, 2014, 05:32:52 PM
Yeah... Bat, I don't think that word means what you think it means. DCAU is a term specifically meant for the DC Animated Universe that BTAS and JL/JLU take place in. It'd be like saying Ultimate Avengers 2 isn't as good as the other films in the Marvel Cinematic Universe... Yes, Ultimate Avengers 2 is TECHNICALLY a Marvel Studios film, but it is NOT a part of the same Universe as Avengers.

Totally my bad, not sure why I called it that way.

Quote from: Tomato on May 05, 2014, 05:32:52 PM
As for Son of Batman... eh. I agree with the consensus: this was a very poor film on the whole. It's sad, because there was good stuff in here... pretty much everything that was separate from the ninja/Deathstroke garbage was good. There was some genuinely good interaction between the members of the Bat-family, and some of the fights were entertaining to watch. And it's kinda sad, because I would have even been ok with the ninja stuff, had it not been for Deathstroke being shoehorned in there. Would it really have been that hard to include ANY of Ra's other warriors? Hell, they even showed his son, why not go that route? Have it be the son who was abandoned as an heri in favor of Bruce Wayne. It would have been a much tighter story if they'd done that.

Ya def this, not sure why they had Deathstroke in there. Could have used anyone really, since Damian was the star of the movie. Sure its good when you have a big name character for the main villain, but it wouldn't hurt the movie if the main villain was White Ghost like you said, why bother to introduce him as Ra's son if u're not gonna use him for anything.

HarryTrotter

Sometimes a lesser known villan can be a refreshment,like you can develop him more.Which one of us DIDNT count the seconds till Deathstroke lost his eye?
Jon Farmer

MJB

Bottom line. No ties to any "Universe". Is this worth watching?