News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Resizing a mesh in nifskope

Started by seraglio, February 08, 2014, 06:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seraglio

I put a lot of work into a mesh called superadaptoid_big_tm before realizing the mesh is like 20' tall. So I'm trying to understand all the tools available to me in Nifskope to shrink this guy down.

Handle node - this is usually what I use to resize meshes...unfortunately this model doesn't have that node. I tried to create one or copy one...didn't work.

Scene Root - usually OK for small changes, but as vets know, changing this node alters the speed with which animations move...shrinking the model a lot causes it to move fast and jerky and attack too fast.

Bip01 - seems to work without animation problems but at least on this model throws its position off. If I shrink too much the model "walks on air". I can move the model down on the Z axis to a point, I cant quite get his feet on the ground, hes still a foot or more above his purple "selection ring" in FF. And that's with some major modifications to his physique (namely increasing the length of his legs, without which he'd be 3 feet or more above the ground)

I'm out of strings to pull. I've messed with the z axis to everything else I can think of with no positive results. In Nifskope the mode is halfway under the floor, yet in game he still floats above. Any other ways to fix this

Cyber Burn

http://frworld.wikispaces.com/Tutorial9+Changing+Mesh+Height

According to Tomato's Tutorial, if you re-sized the Mesh using the "Bip01", then you need to adjust the "Y" transformation to accommodate for the change.

seraglio

Y axis moves the model forward and backwards the way I have nifskope setup at least. I'm going to make a wild guess that maybe that was an error(it probably changes based on what part), and that also most people are trying to enlarge a normal size model, rather than the reverse? You can only SHRINK Bip01 so much before your mesh is floating above its purple ring thing in game. Its position in space is just changed. Adjusting Z (up and down) axis isn't working on this mesh, not when its shrunk 50%. Give it a try if you have the mesh.

seraglio

I found this thread

http://freedomreborn.net/forums/index.php?topic=52442.0

that shows how to copy the handle node from another mesh. After some tweaking I was able to more or less follow this procedure and get the result I wanted. If anyone has any questions about the process, I'd be happy to help!

Kenn

Creating a Handle node is easy. 

1) Block Insert, select "N", and create a NiNode, name it "Handle"
2) Open it up "Block Details" and make the Bip01 node a child of the Handle Node (Change the number of Children to 1, update the array, enter in the number of the Bip01)
3) Go to the Block Details, open up the array of Children, replace the number of the Bip01 with the number of the Handle node you made.
My Amazing Woman - A Romantic Comedy of Super Heroic Proportions.

Also what Lightning Man and Kenn-X have been doing lately.