A trivial thing but nontheless...

Started by mac402, March 06, 2014, 12:48:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mac402

Do you guys use the same damage type for weapons of mass destruction (bombs, grenades, rocket launchers, missiles, cannons)? Up till now I gave every character with said weapons at his disposal an attack that did heat damage. Looking at the vanilla game it seemed to be the premise in FF1 (like the grenades tossed by thugs doing heat damage). In FFvT3R things are more complicated as Sky King and the nazi grenaders have grenades that do piercing damage (shrapnel?) and tanks fire projectiles that cause crushing damage. Do you guys follow any specific rule on this?

spydermann93

This might sound really obvious, but, for me, it really just depends on the FX.

For grenades and missiles that explode and show up as fiery jimmies of death (thug grenades), I use Heat.

For rockets and grenades that only show a BANG! (no fire, electricity, nitrogen, etc.), I use Crushing (rarely Piercing, as I use that for bullets, blades, shurikens, etc.).  Going off of the previous statement, I usually either use Sky King's Grenade Launcher FX for thug grenades or I use the stun grenade.

Typically, more often than not, my thugs use the second type of grenade (the crushing kind).  "Elemental" grenades are typically reserved for more high-tech equipment, such as Explosive Batarangs and specialized Hang Grenades (E.M.P, incendiary, etc.).

BentonGrey

I think part of the change in design philosophies between FF1 and 2 in terms of damage types for these types of attacks stems from the change in resistances.  I think the (to my mind inferior) system of FF2 made a more diverse batch of damage types necessary, especially as you are mostly fighting enemies that use conventional weapons, whereas in FF1 you quickly went from bullets to death rays.

For my part, I like consistency, so I mostly use fire for those types of things, though, as Spyder said, I also sometimes will attempt to match the FX if it seems to be something that isn't very fire-ish.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/