News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Victor Zsasz

Started by Tomato, April 05, 2014, 08:38:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tomato

(I went back and forth on where to post this, but I settled on here for now because I might need artistic help as well as input)

So, I'm running into a bit of a snag when it comes to my Batman shelf, particularly when it comes to the inclusion of Victor Zsasz on it. For those not in the know, I collect Batman figures from 5 different sources... the Arkham games, DCUC, the Animated series, the Films, and finally the Lego minifigs. Now, with that setup, there are obviously gaps... Man Bat has never appeared in the live action films, etc. Now, for the most part, I can just fill the gaps with customs... but Zsasz (and Hush, but to a much lesser extent) presents me a rather annoying problem: I don't know what to actually customise.

Unlike a character like Riddler, who has had a myriad of different appearances, Zsasz tends to fall into one of two design motifs: His classic look (the one with the black eyes and white boxers) and the modern look, based off the Arkham games. He really just doesn't show up all that often (especially compared to Bane, despite pre-dating the character). This could be because he's only been around for a short time, but I think it's also because he's not a character well suited for adaption to other media. For all intents and purposes, Zsasz is pretty much a standard comic book serial killer, something which doesn't translate well to a saturday morning cartoon.

And really, that's my issue as well. I invariably need to customise two brand new versions of the character (Lego and Arkham figures exist, and he appears as a cameo in Begins): One for the DC Universe Classics line, and one for the Animated Series.

The animated series is problematic, but only from the standpoint of adaption. Zsasz' classic, black-eyes and white boxers look can work well for the animated series, my only issue is finding a way to make the scars fit with the more streamlined style of the TNBA/JLU era like most of my other figures. It's more a question of how to do it than a question of what to do.

Really, the bigger issue is with the DCUC figure. For those not in the know, the DCUC line, despite occasionally being forced to do merchandise for whatever event DC was doing at the time, is very much a love letter to the Super Powers toy line. As a result, most of the DCUC figures I have tend to be 60s era costumes... Orange/Purple Two-Face, Spandex Riddler... hell, they even made Red Hood in his Morrison-era costume, so even the modern characters fit that motif. And in a weird way, the line has become the representation of the Silver Age/Adam West era of Batman... which is about as far away from everything Zsasz represents as Batman gets. And it has me absolutely flabbergasted.

Podmark

That's an interesting challenge.

I'm not sure what to do about a silver age Zsaz. Maybe a spandex suit with marks on it? With a domino mask? I really don't know.

For the animated I think it would make more sense for his scars to instead be tattoos. I think body art would be a easier pass than self-mutilation on a kids show. I'd see him as someone who adds a tat for every crime he commits.

Just some ideas.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Well, the issue with animated zsasz is less about the nature of the character (the beauty of TAS is that it does feel like those darker storylines, such as the mass murdering zsasz, could very well be taking place in that universe) and more the design. Most of my collection comprises the TNBA designs, which were much sleeker to save animation costs. As such, I don't want to make a Zsasz that has tally marks willy nilly... that's tough to animate properly. I'm trying to map out a way to make as few as possible, while still giving the illusion of being all over his torso.

Tomato

This is more or less what I came up with for Animated Zsasz. I already had the custom more or less mapped out (Johnny Thunder head on a Flash-type body. Works out well, because I can then take the JT body and modify it so that it works for Black Mask, who I'm planning on using Mr. Freeze for) it was mainly just settling on where I want the scars and how big to make them.

That still leaves the 60s Zsasz... and I still don't even know where to start.

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Cyber Burn

Quote from: Tomato on April 07, 2014, 09:32:49 PM

This is more or less what I came up with for Animated Zsasz. I already had the custom more or less mapped out (Johnny Thunder head on a Flash-type body. Works out well, because I can then take the JT body and modify it so that it works for Black Mask, who I'm planning on using Mr. Freeze for) it was mainly just settling on where I want the scars and how big to make them.

That still leaves the 60s Zsasz... and I still don't even know where to start.

What about going with a more camp style prison uniform? Black and White striped pants, maybe? That may give the illusion of an older style while still leaving the upper body alone.

Tomato

That still leaves the kinda major issue of him having scars all over his upper torso where he's cut into his own flesh.

I think Pod's suggestion for the animated series (about making him use the tally marks for the crimes he's committed rather than kills) works for the 60's version, and you can take that further and have it be on his costume rather than cut into his skin.

The biggest issue is how to incorporate it into a costume without making Zsasz into a poor man's Riddler. Hmmm... maybe if I incorporate your prison stripes idea with the outfit... *goes off to play with the idea*

Tomato

So... I think I've got my DCUC Zsasz.

daglob

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

Final version of TAS Zsasz (with Black Mask for good measure).

Podmark

Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page