"Batman: Strange Days" - Bruce Timm's Batman 75th Anniversary Short

Started by Midnite, April 11, 2014, 03:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Glitch Girl

-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Tomato

This was amazing. I got excited when I first saw screens of it.

catwhowalksbyhimself

Retro Batman!  I liked it.  Good old fashioned sepia-toned fun.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

Yeah, that was pretty darn cool, but I'm sort of sad that we didn't get something more comprehensive like we did with Superman's 75 year anniversary. 
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

There's another video coming, but I think it'll be in a different style. Still, having essentially the jlu style back, and kevin doing Batman (even if it's just the one line) was nice.

BentonGrey

Quote from: Tomato on April 11, 2014, 04:15:44 PM
There's another video coming, but I think it'll be in a different style. Still, having essentially the jlu style back, and kevin doing Batman (even if it's just the one line) was nice.

Entirely true.  I'd gladly trade 100% of the current DC line, movies, and TV shows for one more season of JLU.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

spydermann93

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 11, 2014, 05:46:25 PM
Quote from: Tomato on April 11, 2014, 04:15:44 PM

Entirely true.  I'd gladly trade 100% of the current DC line, movies, and TV shows for one more season of JLU.

One more season of anything Timmverse would do for me :P

BentonGrey

I'd rather have JLU or Batman:TAS than Superman, but any of them would be about a 1000 times better than the current crop of stuff.
God Bless

catwhowalksbyhimself

Young Justice was excellent, but unfortunately toy sales trump actual quality or popularity, it seems.
I am the cat that walks by himself, all ways are alike to me.

BentonGrey

I'd say it was good, and compared to the rest of the current field, it was excellent. ;)  Yeah, there's one thing that's for sure, and that is that YJ's cancellation was unjust.
God Bless

oldmanwinters

Caught this as a surprise in between commercial breaks while watching Teen Titans Go! this week.  What a surprise!  I just noticed it on and didn't know what it was supposed to be until they showed the 75th logo at the end.

Cyber Burn

As much as I really enjoyed this, I think that as a tribute to Batman's 75th, I think something with the Joker would have been more appropriate. No other complaints otherwise.

And I have to say, I really hope to see more shorts like this, maybe with some of DC's other characters as well.

Tomato

No... It's very much a silent black and white film tribute, and the Joker is anything but silent. Plus, doing that style of Joker without Mark Hamill (he's made his stance on returning pretty clear) would upset a fair number of people.

That said, I'm really hoping this becomes more. With Beware basically cancelled at the moment (it's in the development hole YJ was for forever from what I understand) I'm starting to see things turning in that direction... there's brand new BTAS/TNBA merchandise coming out of DC Collectibles, and it's not like there's no precedent for doing a new twist on an old show (Teen Titans Go). And for anyone doubting the staying power of the Timmverse, I would remind people that Mattel was still managing to sell brand new JLU figures in 2012, a good 6 years after the show was cancelled.

BentonGrey

'Mato, provided they didn't pull a 'New Batman Adventures' on us, that would be incredibly awesome, but I'm not going to let myself start hoping just yet. :)
God Bless

Thunder

There is a second short planned to be done by Darwyn Cooke.

Plus some art exhibitions....I'm not sure but I think the
info is on the Batman 75th website. www.dccomics.com/tags/batman-75th-anniversary

Starman

This is my preferred Batman.

The current DC animated Batman with the chin pad doesn't really do it for me.

BentonGrey

Well, it looks cool, though it's funny to see a Batman Beyond animated story being told by someone other than its creator.
God Bless

Tomato

Actually, I did some digging on that... while he may not have created the character, Cooke was the one who animated the title sequence. It doesn't shock me to see him directing a little animated short. (Plus, it does sound like Timm had a hand in the short as well)

That said, Batman Beyond being in hands other than Dini/Timm isn't exactly a new thing either... *cough*comics*cough*

BentonGrey

Neat, I didn't know Cooke was involved with that. 

Yep 'Mato, I knew that, hence my adding the adjective 'animated.' ;)  I suppose I expect things to be in different hands in the comics, but this is Timm's home turf, so to speak.  I'm certainly not against Cooke being involved, as I like the fellow, but it just surprised me. :) 

In terms of the style of DC animation going forward, I would have no real problem with them pursuing something a bit more visually appealing than Timm's style, like, say, YJ's.  For whatever faults YJ had when compared, story-wise, to JLU, it always looked good.
God Bless

JeyNyce

I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

JeyNyce

It's not hard, but here's a list of the "Batmen" that they showed:

Beware the Batman
The Batman
Brave & The Bold
Dark Knight Returns
"Movie" Batman (Michael Keaton)
60's Batman (Adam West)
Original Batman from Detective Comics
...and of course TAS was the one Terry was fighting

They missed the one from the 70's but it was still cool.  What are the chances of them turn that short into an actual movie?
I don't call for tech support, I AM TECH SUPPORT!
It's the internet, don't take it personal!

steamteck

Podmark

The first short was well done, but didn't do a lot for me.

Now the Batman Beyond short was awesome! Beyond was my favorite TAS show and seeing it again in all it's schway glory made me grin from ear to ear. Also seeing all the other Batmans was very cool.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Silver Shocker

I did not get that much out of the first one, though the animation was pretty good and Conroy was a treat. The Batman Beyond one I enjoyed more. It was entertaining for as long as it lasted, and the various batman cameos was very cute. I especially enjoyed the way the live action versions looked. I really liked Batman Beyond back in the day and seeing a new piece of animation from it was very schway indeed.
"Now you know what you're worth? Then go out and get what you're worth, but you gotta be willing to take the hits. And not pointing fingers, saying you're not where you want to be because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that, and THAT AIN'T YOU. YOU'RE BETTER THAN THAT!"
~Rocky Balboa

Cyber Burn

I have to say these really make me wish that I had a full computer set up. I would love to be able to download/record these.