News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 8: Nightwing original

Started by Podmark, April 07, 2014, 11:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Nightwing's original costume?

5 - Love it!
0 (0%)
4 - Like it
4 (30.8%)
3 - Meh, no strong feelings
3 (23.1%)
2 - Dislike it
5 (38.5%)
1 - Hate it!
1 (7.7%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Podmark

For the newest character poll we'll continue with a theme:

Dick Grayson and his original Nightwing costumes. I believe this was designed by George Perez for Teen Titans. So what do you think?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Tomato

I'm ok with it. It isn't my favorite (I tend to prefer the classic black version) but it's far from the worst costume ever. I think if you simplified it a bit, maybe removed the random gold areas, and it'd work fantastic as a current era redesign... far better than what he has right now.

BentonGrey

2.5: I used to hate this costume just as much as I hated the whole Nightwing change.  The costume has actually grown on me a fair amount, moving from disgust to just south of ambivalence, at least partly thanks to my reading the Teen Titans book.  I still don't much care for the Nightwing identity, as it just doesn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of its origins.  Why would Dick name himself after a former identity of Superman?  Ahh well, either way, the costume itself is pretty painfully 80s.  It doesn't really fit the character terribly well, but the basic design isn't terrible.  I actually like the gold highlights, but it does beg for a redesign.  Either way, it's certainly not good, even if it isn't awful.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Cyber Burn

I don't love it, but I don't hate it either. I'll go with a 3. As with the Robin costume, I think that this worked for the time period in which it was released, but doesn't really translate well for the modern era. I think the gold trim, and the over done collar, may pay a little tribute to his circus days, but otherwise, as Benton said, "It's pretty painfully 80's". At least with this costume, he's wearing pants though.

BentonGrey

Hey Pod, why don't you do a comparison with some of the classic Earth-2 redesigns of Dick's costume?
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman

Podmark

Quote from: BentonGrey on April 08, 2014, 10:22:32 PM
Hey Pod, why don't you do a comparison with some of the classic Earth-2 redesigns of Dick's costume?

I was thinking of doing the Earth 2 Robin outfit, if there's any others you wanted to see let me know. (Yes we are doing a Dick Grayson series right now  :cool:)

So I fall into the dislike category, and I really thought about going with hate it. The costume looks really dated and since the first time I saw it it's always made me cringe. Still when I look at it closely it's not terrible, not really. The colours are decent and if you cleaned up the weird x pattern and gold trim it could be fine. I think ultimately it just clashes badly with my more modern sensibilities. Point is I don't like it. I'd say it's my least favorite outfit of Grayson's.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

Let's hit all the major notes, Pod, both E-2 Robin costumes, Red Robin, and even some of his modern costumes, if you crazy people want that. ;)
http://biffbampop.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/dick4.gif
God Bless

Glitch Girl

The rest of it isn't too bad (though the yellow areas a a touch busy), but that massive collar with the low v-neck just aren't doing him any favors and it does make it PAINFULLY dated.  I like the dark blue/light blue color combination, and the layout of the blues work really well.  The yellow feather/ribbed element on the yellow doesn't quite work, but I don't outright hate it.  Yellow is a good color to use to contrast it up, but it's just not quite working here for me. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

bat1987

Went with 2, the black suit is soooooo much better, it makes this look even worse than it is. That gold is really random.

Helix

I give it a 4. I really liked it. It was a great change at the time. Robin was too old and too well established as a hero to continue being a sidekick and wearing that God-awful Robin outfit. The collar and the plunging neckline bugged me, but....