News:

Rings of Reznor!

Main Menu

Costume Rating 9: Nightwing second costume

Started by Podmark, April 12, 2014, 06:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What do you think of Nightwing's second costume?

5 - Love it!
4 - Like it
3 - Meh, no strong feelings
2 - Dislike it
1 - Hate it!

Podmark

This is the second (as far as I know) costume worn by Dick Grayson in the identity of Nightwing:

What do you think?
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

Glitch Girl

90's GRIMACE!!!

AND A MULLET!!!

Okay, a bit more serious now...  While I think it's an improvement on the previous, it's still not quite there.  The yellow "webbing" under the arms does imply a "wing" motif, but it also feels like it's trying to be Spider-Man.    I'd personally get rid of it, 'cos the costume without it isn't that bad (cover up the area under the arms with your fingers and look at it and see what I mean).   The yellow bands on the boots and gloves feel a little overwhelming and could stand to be toned back a touch.  This feels more "Batman Protege" than the previous effort. 
-Glitch Girl

"Cynicism is not maturity, do not mistake the one for the other. If you truly cannot accept a story where someone does the right thing because it's the right thing to do, that says far more about who you are than these characters." - Greg Rucka

Cyber Burn

I think Glitch was spot on here, like his previous one, this costume really dates itself, not to mention, it leaves a lot of room for improvement. Again, I don't hate it, but I don't love it either. I'm in the "Meh" category.

Podmark

I gave this one a 3 because I kinda like it but at the same time I don't think it's a great costume.

This is probably the first costume I ever saw Nightwing in. Somebody gave me a copy of a Batman issue in the midst of the Knightfall storyline, well before I really got into reading comics. It was probably the second Batman comic I ever read, though I was familiar with the franchise from the Adam West show reruns, TAS, the Time Burton movie and the toys. It was my introduction to Tim Drake, Nightwing (I can't remember if I knew he was the original Robin at the time), Bane, Jean Paul Valley, and Batman's back having been broken. So this costume is locked in a special place of my memory. But at the same time the costume has always looked...lazy I guess. Something about just looks like the character deserves better.

I agree with GG that it makes him look like a Bat character again after the TTs look and that's good. I like the general layout of the costume but something doesn't click. Probably the colours. Maybe the yellow line work feathers. Whatever it is I give it a three.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page

BentonGrey

3: Yeah, it's certainly an improvement, but it's just not quite there.  The problems with this costume, as a costume, are more or less those that GG pointed out.  I actually rather like the torso and the 'wings.'  That being said, another problem is that the colors don't quite work.  The two-tone blues aren't as effective here as in the previous one, probably because the light blue is so limited it just seems out of place.  As a costume for Dick's adult identity, it's still not great.  It's too far from both his own original look, and from Batman's look, to really fit as part of the Bat family OR as something that would grow out of his history.  You could argue that was his intent, but it still leaves this in a strange place, thematically.  The mullet clearly has to go!  Ha, so yeah, it's an improvement, and it's okay, but it just feels, as some have said, lazy.  I think I'd rather say, 'cobbled-together."  It just feels like a bit of a mess of contradicting ideas.
God Bless
"If God came down upon me and gave me a wish again, I'd wish to be like Aquaman, 'cause Aquaman can take the pain..." -Ballad of Aquaman
Check out mymods and blog!
https://bentongrey.wordpress.com/

Tomato

This design is... eh for me. I don't outright dislike it, but it's still not there for me. That said I can definitely tell this was a midpoint between the original outfit and the classic Nightwing costume, but the costume in and of itself is just too indicitive of the 90s. 3/5 for me.

bat1987

Gave it a 3, its on the meh side of things but improvement over previous.

I also remember this suit from Knightfall trilogy and old Kenner action figure of it in "Legends of Batman" line.

Podmark

Quote from: bat1987 on April 14, 2014, 12:47:24 PMand old Kenner action figure of it in "Legends of Batman" line.

I remember seeing that toy in the stores when I was a kid. I always wanted it because it reminded me of the comic I mentioned before.
Get my skins at:
HeroForce
my Google page